Malcolm and the Camera
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malcolm and the Camera

Default Malcolm and the Camera

As many of you have noted, Malcolm talks to the camera much less, if at all, in recent episodes. I'm sure many of us miss this, but it's been suggested that the reason for this is that now we know the family pretty well and Malcolm doesn't have to explain things anymore.

Would you like to see Malcolm talk to the camera more in season 7 or is it, at this point in the show, unnecessary?

I myself am not sure. I miss the explanations, but I don't want to constantly get plot summaries. For example, In Stilts : I enjoyed the part where Malcolm was explaining his interaction with Sam, but I didn't care too much for ending medical term comment. It made me feel like I missed something, like they should have shown the hospital scene.

In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

Default Re: Malcolm and the Camera

I think that the pieces to camera are really important in making the show different and indivdual. I guess the other characters have become so popular it would seem a bit odd to only get the view of malcolm- but i still think there should be more monolgoues.

I agree with Deweyrules! and I think he should talk to the camera, as I've expressed before, because it is supposed to be a show told in teh eyes of Malcolm. Even if we already know all the characters, he can explain his opinion to us, which gives the show bias and makes it more interesting.

Nobody knows the name of the city where I live; it is in California but it isnt L.A.

"In real life, when a kid starts talking to someone who's invisible, they jack up his dosage of Ritalin. On Fox, they gave me my own show!"

I agree. The "talking to the camera" thing is part of the spirit of MitM.
    "I am Malcolm"

I miss it a little bit because as people said it made the show something special. And I think it was funny in a way especially when Malcolm said something and then turned to the camera and said something that he didn´t want people around him to hear. One example: When he talked to Cynthia about her gigantic breasts he told her "I was surprised, that´s all. I mean I would have reacted the same way if you had a new haircut." And then he turned to the camera and said "A giant haircut."
    I think he didn´t only adress the camera when he wanted to explain something. So i think it was not only to get information about his family members. Maybe it´s true that they don´t do it anymore because Malcolm isn´t a very important character anymore, but the show is still called MALCOLM in the middle and now people who don´t know the earlier seasons could really wonder why that is. So I hope he´ll talk to the camera more in season 7 than he did in season 6.

Bye the way: This may be a silly question, but does time kind of stop while he´s talking to the camera? Because sometimes I had that impression. Of course people around him still move, but when he´s talking to the camera, what does it look like for people around him? In Softball he missed the ball because he was talking to the camera, so the time didn´t stop. But I remember other episodes where it really seemed like people waited until he had finished his talk with the camera.
    There probably isn´t a real answer to that question.

There really isn't. There's a rule while they're shooting--No one looks at or talks to Frankie while he's talking to the camera. So, basically, I would think it's like time continues, but if there weren't a camera there, Malcolm would be thinking those things, instead of saying them. It would be really confusing if it weren't a TV show. I hope I made a little bit of sense?

It made sense to me. I took a drama class and there's an actually term for what they do when the actor turns to the audience and says what they're thinking. but I think that this is what made malcolm different than the other shows on tv I'd like to see more of this in season 7
    Dewey: Are you really gonna put up a formation of flying zombies
    Hal: No I just drew them because they looked cool.

I think it should continue...te taking to the camera is a quirk whick distinuishes 'malcolm' from other sitcoms.

I really miss Malcolm talking to me - it gave me an insight into what he was thinking, and somehow made him sound less moany.

Quote Originally Posted by allison
    In Softball he missed the ball because he was talking to the camera, so the time didn´t stop.
    I think he would have missed the ball anyway - in a way, Malcolm's soliloquies are a window into his thoughts; if he was deep in thought, that would have made him miss.

I treat Malcolm's monologues the same way I do J.D.'s thoughts on SCRUBS. The reason it's spoken out loud instead of being thought might be b/c he is (or was when the show started) a kid, and kids say anything outloud.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson