"Oh, all right!"

PeterU

Super Moderator
Everyone's favourite TV dad, Hal from Malcolm in the Middle, often didn't get his own way throughout the series. In fact, more often than not, you'll find Hal conceding to other's wishes (especially in the case of Lois), often with a frustrated exclamation of "oh, all right!", or something similar.

It's not said frequently enough to be a 'catchphrase', but it is something unique to the character -- and something that I thought would be interesting to put together into one video.

So, here is a quick video montage of every occasion in the series where Hal 'admits defeat'.

See Front Page Post for video

Does this video manage to sum up the character of Hal in just one minute? I think I'll let you decide.

PeterU

Super Moderator
Love it! I can imagine more of these catchphrase montages being done!

Thanks! I can't immediately think of any other things that are said quite as frequently and in the same way as this, but I'm definitely open to suggestions on themes for a future video in this style. :)

PeterU

Super Moderator
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Hmmm... I'm thinking Lois and exclamations of "that is it!", "I have had it!" and so on.

The difficult thing is finding all of the relevant references you want to sue in all 151 episodes. Putting them together, in comparison, is easy.

Ryebeach

Nice job with the montage, Peter. :) Since you mentioned Lois stating "That is it" and "I have had it!" I can immediately picture her saying the phrases countless times, lol. That would be another great montage to see.

MalcolmFun

You have captured the great catch phrase for when Hal gives in. But you are missing the other devious side of Hal when he is hatching secret plans and thinks he is getting away with something.

Hal: Ha-tchaaa!!!!

This is usually accompanied by some type of celebratory dance.

Dewey: ......interesting......

He must have said that a thousand times as a critique on what the others in the family are doing

PeterU

Super Moderator
You have captured the great catch phrase for when Hal gives in. But you are missing the other devious side of Hal when he is hatching secret plans and thinks he is getting away with something.

Hal: Ha-tchaaa!!!!

This is usually accompanied by some type of celebratory dance.

I think I know what you mean, but do you have a reference to an episode? That would be a cool thing to do too -- showing the 'other' side of Hal, when he does get his own way.

Dewey: ......interesting......

He must have said that a thousand times as a critique on what the others in the family are doing

That's another good one, thanks. I shall have to be on the lookout for suitable instances of these.

If anyone finds specific instances of any catchphrase-type thing that could be put into a video like this, please do post the episode and the rough timecode of where it happens. As I say, the time consuming bit is collecting all the references. :)

MalcolmFun

In Red Dress, Hal says it at the end when he realizes Lois and the Boys went out and he has the house all to himself and can smoke or do whatever he wants.

In Bomb Shelter he says it when he thinks he is getting away with having a good time and he finds a playboy on the shelf while he is supposed to have been trapped

Amigo22

Super Moderator
He also says it in "Funeral" when finds a wall socket for his Quadrophonic.

What about Hal screaming? Graduation; Hal's Dentist; Clip Show #2; whatever that episode was when he thought he'd won and Malcolm told him he'd actually lost

And Dewey screaming would be a good one too - Francis Escapes; Sleepover; Convention; Monkey; Clip Show; Hal's Birthday; Health Scare; Grandma Sues; Chad's Sleepover to name those I remember

Times when the boys were grounded / punished?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
And Dewey screaming would be a good one too - Francis Escapes; Sleepover; Convention; Monkey; Clip Show; Hal's Birthday; Health Scare; Grandma Sues; Chad's Sleepover to name those I remember

I believe Malcolm Mittendrin did a Dewey Screaming for Vengeance video a while back, I thought I had it, but I can't find it. It could be lost in the hundreds of MITM videos I have.

PeterU

Super Moderator
Thanks for the suggestions thus far and for pointing out some of the places where they happen. :)

Dew_Fan

That line he does is one of the many reasons I like MITM, it is such a great show and I am so sad to see it gone.

And yes, I do realize that it has been off for a while now, but it still sad, but I am glad that the show went on for how long it did. :)