When did you first watch MITM?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Too bad it took you so long, have you seen all the eps from the first four seasons now?

And welcome to the forums. Join us in our weekly chats at 19:00 GMT every Saturday, we'd love to talk with you.

Tyno

Malcolm-France
For me, it was on end 2002, when the french tv aired MitM for the second time, every day of the week (at 6 pm) :) My guilty pleasure after school :D lol

It was the second airing of the seasons one and two episodes. But I became a big fan at the third airing, of the exclusive seasons three and four episodes, during the summer 2003 ! (The season five has been airing a few month ago)

Now, I don't wait for the french tv to watch episodes anymore (I've seen the season five and now six at the american airing (by download)) ^^

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
They hyped the show so much that I just had to watch the first episode. I remember I watched it at my boyfriends house. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I'd watch it every now and then, but not religiously. Then I started watching the reruns: they play it twice everyday on UPN here. That's when I realized how great the show was. I've been completely hooked ever since.

Emrysgirl

The first ep I saw was actually Houseboat:mad:. So, initially I thought MitM was really crappy. I caught new eps every once in a while after the Simpsons. I really started enjoying it after I saw Baby (I and II, original release date):D. I got hooked once Wb started showing MitM every day. I have watched some eps from seasons 1 and 2, the end of 3, most of 4, all of 5 and half of 6.

Dewey

Minimalistic
Emrysgirl said:
The first ep I saw was actually Houseboat:mad:. So, initially I thought MitM was really crappy.
I don't know if its just me, but i thought Houseboat was a great episode. A superb start to the third season even. However this is just my opinion, so I realise it is rather subjective.

I have a small theory to suggest why Houseboat and other episodes have been rated as poor and appear in the bottom 25 episodes on this website. Its not conclusive or anything.

If we look at the bottom 10 episodes there are:
1. Houseboat
2. Kreloboyne Girl
3. Cynthias' Back
4. Humiliation
5. Clip Show 2
6. Cheerleader
7. Stupid Girl
8. Forbiden Girlfriend
9. Watching the Baby
10. Poker 2

All of these episodes, (besides Clip Show 2) feature plots with Malcolm and/or Reese associating with girls of their own age. They are often presented as love interests or crushes. I feel that as the show is mainly aimed at an audience that fits in with this age group, the female members of such an audience have responded negatively to such plots.

Its kind of a psychological principle that i am applying. Teenage girls whom watch MITM on a regular basis perhaps see themselves as the perfect partner to Malcolm or Reese. (just look at the vast posts in Fox for that - around 90% of all postss there are devoted to Frankie or Justin); and seeing another girl on the scene kind of dashes their hopes and no matter how funny an episode my be, in thier mind it will be a bad one. This may be a subconcious audience feeling, so they may not realise this themselves at face value.

Looking on other forums, for example, the female audience really responded negatively to the character Cynthia. Perhaps without just cause, as she wasn't so bad. In fact, there are very few negative words said about her by a male public of forum visitors. And the episode she was in: Krelboyne Girl was really funny. The Dewey subplot was amazing.

In my opinion, the Cheerleader episode was also a classic piece of television. Not just in a MITM sense, but in popular culture at large.

@Emrysgirl - I'm really not picking on you personally. I'm just using your post to back up a theory i have had for some time. I'm using your post for no other reason than it is the latest on this subject.

Emrysgirl

PHP:
 @Emrysgirl - I'm really not picking on you personally.
That's fine:D Even if you were, I wouldn't mind. I actually liked Stupid Girl, Forbidden Girlfriend, Watching the Baby and the 2 Cynthia eps I've seen. I haven't seen the rest, so I can't say. Some of my favourite MitM guests are Allison and Beth (from Army I):). Besides, if that were the case, I would actually hate the Francis dating eps since he is my favorite char, but I love them.

As to the rest of your post:
I see what you mean and I'm sure that's the case sometimes. But, I don't agree completely.

Definitely the eps w/ girlfriend get low ratings but I think that's also b/c these eps go against the characters as we have viewed them. As I have said in other posts, what makes MitM unique among shows about teens is that we are more concerned w/ Malcolm's status as a genius that we are w/ his status as an adolescent male. The dating shows tend to focus on teen problems, thus going against this focus (haha...no floating this;)).

I think the reason why many girls hate the Cynthia eps is that she is the stereotypical smart girl. Smart girls on TV are presented as a loners and bitches so often that when a character like Cynthia comes along, girls tend to disregard her without considering that her character wasn't negative or that she fit the plot. Personally, I find her hilarious.

The reason I dislike Houseboat is that they had to resort to such a cliche theme to get a cheap laugh:Angry:.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I think you're on to something, appanah. That's pretty insightful. Well done! Points to you.

How could people not like Cheerleader? That was such a great episode. I saw cheerleader after I had seen most of the other episode. I think I had even seen part of season 6 before I saw cheerleader. When I finally did see that episode, it gave me a new appreciation for the show. When Hal gives them "the talk"? That was completely brilliant! And that talk explained every single relationship that I had ever seen any of the boys in over the whole six seasons of the show. LOVE!!! SO MUCH LOVE FOR THIS SHOW!!!

MITM-Fan

This is a very good topic, 'cause at least some of us do really have a story behind all of this how they got hooked on this show.
For me...at first I didn't watch the show and they showed it on German Pay-TV in the beginning. Although I was able to watch that show...I didn't watch it!
Well I'm very ashamed to confess that (I'm a very devoted Fan now) I didn't watch it! But then...some months later...Frankie was on Jay Leno promoting the show and I thought to myself "This guy looks familiar to you." Furthermore I thought "Very humorous, nice guy." That's the time I became Frankie-Fan and then they aired the show on German Free-TV....I don't know when it was 2001 or 2002, something like that...and I became a very devoted Fan to the show, too.
That's my story...THE END. :D

:cool:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Im very pleased with the creation of this thread, i think that just about every active member on the forum (some1 who has posted like 2 times or more) has posted here. There aint a larger number of post in here but i think it might have the highest number of different posters :D

Gouki

admin said:
It is annoying that the BBC treat MITM like crap, but then again look how they butchered the Simpsons. I really hope the Channel 4 or five pick up MITM next season, as at least they will treat the show respectabely
Channel Nine Australia showed the first half of Season 5 mid last year. Then stopped, and have not shown anything since except one season 3 episode.

Beat that.

samboo1

I started watching mitm from the first season but it was one of those programs where id flick over the channel and it would be on. Id never plan to watch it, that was until the 6th season when i wanted to watch it more and wouldnt miss an ep!

CJman327

Well I remember being over at my mom's friend's house when FOX was on. I was playing with her daughter and it was in 2001 around the time I was 5. I remembered seeing a little bit of Maloclm Vs. Reese. I didn't really know the episode name, but I saw the part where Francis was smiling at Reese and Malcolm while Reese was putting his slippers on him and Mlaoclm put on his robe, during the scene where they show the boys slaving for Francis for that wrestling ticket. I continued playing with the girl(Cayleigh, if you wanted to know)and in later years I had seen that same part in reruns! But never got to fully see the episode. Then, around late 2003, I think, I saw Stereo Store. But I had seen that so many times after. I had seen it on FOX 3 times and on UPN 28 3 times as well! And then I saw Poker and Ida's Boyfriend around 2004. And then late 2004 I got more into it. And early 2005, I had really started to get hoooked on this awesome show! We got DVR for my family(Digital Video Recorder from Comcast), which enables you to record your favorite shows without videotapes! But I misused it and recorded various episodes including The Simpsons. So back to the discussion, I had started to record many episodes and now we're in Fall! As where I can't wait to watch the Season 7 Premiere(Burning Man)! See ya!
--CJMAN327

monkey_091

Well in 2002, me and my sister were washing dishes and saw an ad for it and decided to sneak downstairs (to the tv room) and watch it. We've been hooked ever since!!! :)

(I was 10 and my sis was 8)

elstarry

I used to really like the simpsons,and it was always on after it on bbc2.My mom used to moan and moan until one day, she had finished the washing up and decided to watch it with me.She couldn't stop laughing,and our whole family have watched ever since!!:mad: :)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Believe it or not, I just started watching last year. I didn't even like it at at first. I watched "Boy Meets World" that came on before it last summer in syndication and I always switched it when MITM came on because I thought it looked really stupid. Then one day, I decided to give it more of a chance and I actually started liking it. I've been hooked ever since. :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I started watching MITM a little over a year ago. And, believe it or not, the RERUNS( :D ) are what got me hooked! I was just at home flipping around on tv with absolutely nothing to do and I came to FOX, and MITM was just coming on. I had heard of it before and incorrectly assumed it was stupid(i guess the saying is right: when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me). I watched the first rerun, thought it was funny, and watched the second rerun that came on right after, and I was hooked!:D Right off the bat, I liked Hal the best! Dewey, believe it or not, took some time. He had to grow on me. At first, I actually found Dewey annoying, but that all changed once I paid attention to his storylines.
So, that's my MITM story!:D

simon_4420

tony_montana said:
(i guess the saying is right: when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me

love that, never heard it before:D

I remember the advert on BBC2 for the first series of MITM, and I remember watching most of the series, but it was on Sunday nights and I had to work, so I missed the next season and then I sort of forgot all about MITM and only watched it on the off chance I was home. Then last October I managed to convince my parents that we needed Sky and since then I re-discovered how much I love MITM and that led me to join the Forums:D

rzombie1988

I've been watching since the first episode. I immediately became a fan after seeing the first episode. I somewhat stopped around the 5th/6th season, because of the different times and other things going on. I've been able to catch on through season 7.