Create a MITM Eppisode - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Create a MITM Eppisode

Default Re: Create a MITM Eppisode

Exactly

There are many online script contests you can submit your script too aswell.

Also be very warry of who you give your ORIGINAL movie/tv idea too because if you dont read the terms and conditions carefully they can steal your ideas without giving you a dime for it.

...Also, if you go on to write anything, be sure to double check your spelling. Episode, for example only has one 'P'. Just thought I'd point this out in a thread where you are intending to show off your creative writing skills. - Perhaps not such a good idea to make spelling mistakes - especially in the headings.

This is just constructive criticism.

Wow, great script, blind devil. I actually like the first ending better. The second seems a bit, I don't know, it seems like you're suddenly ending the episode; like in Carnival, when suddenly everything just seemed to end.

We could get the idea to Fox...if we all pitch in and hire an accredited agent....or convince one to do it pro bono.

If you use official scrpt-writing format, each page of script equates to approximately one minute of video.

Actually thats not always the case since a battle scene can be two lines on the page of script but can last many many minutes on the screen.

If a battle scene is only two lines, then it's not specific enough. But you're right, it's not always the case. But it's a good rule of thumb that can give you a rough idea of how long a finished product might be.

I had an idea for a sitcom and am writing scripts for it (I'm on the fourth one now.) I use the font Courier 11, and the scripts roughly amount to about 24/25 pages. I'd suggest transcribing an episode of Malcolm in the Middle and typing it up in the normal teleplay format (either Courier, or Courier New is used, and the number is usually 12, although I myself am using 11 on my computer) and see how many pages it comes to. Then that will you give you an idea of how many pages to use for your own script.

I've been on some websites that tell you how to set out a screenplay or a teleplay; unfortunately I don't recall many of their names, but Wikipedia has some information on screenwriting. By "screenwriting", it mainly refers to writing movie scripts, but I think a similar method of writing applies to scripts for TV as well - i.e. I believe the same font is used for both movies and TV shows, and the terminlogy remains similar - for instance, at the beginning of your script, you'd put the scene (usually this is done in letters, so you'd have Scene A, Scene B, Scene C, etc...and there are usually two acts...after you've written "Scene A" or whichever scene it is, you then type the setting and what time of day it is. For instance, let's have a scene with Lois and the boys in the kitchen:

ACT 1

SCENE A

INT. KITCHEN - DAY

LOIS IS PUTTING BREAKFAST
    ON THE TABLE. MALCOLM AND
    REESE ARE FIGHTING ON THE
    FLOOR AND DEWEY IS FLICKING
    CEREAL AT THEM.

LOIS
    Reese! Malcolm! Stop fighting and eat your
    breakfast this instant! Dewey! I can think
    of a far more productive way to use cereal
    than to throw it at your brothers! Eat it!
    You should be thankful you're not one of
    those poor little starving children...

Anyway, that's kind of how a screenplay/teleplay would look. I don't think it's entirely 100% accurate, but I think it's pretty close.

EDIT: The part where Lois talks should be in the centre of the page, but it won't remain in the centre on here. But on a screenplay/teleplay format, the speech is in the centre.

Andy Gibb aged 12 (1970) and River Phoenix

Right, but you don't need act information; that's only for a play. Just number the scenes.

If you are really want to do this some day, read books on screenplay and scriptwriting.

Read scripts and books.

Take a course in college or something.

Actually, I did take a course on it in high school. The final project was to write, direct, and edit your own movie. Fascinating class.