Create a MITM Eppisode

Since everyone here is a fan of MITM and is likely to have seen a wealth of eppisodes, I thought it might be quite interesting if we create our own. MITM tends (from what i have seen) to have 3 to four plots per eppisode, involving different characters. If each person suggests one plot line for different characters, we could possibly build up our own eppisode. Lets begin with an initial setting: The Wilkersons home (i.e. the usual setting)- Louis & Dewey: Dewey is ill from school.

Now someone else can contribute a setting for some more characters, possibly extending into a potential plot and even elaborating on this?? We can see what we create.:D

APK

Meanwhile, Hal becomes addicted to online shopping and starts squandering away a fortune on pointless items.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
While Reese forces school children to pull a wagon, for Reese is in search of the world's largest pie.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
He's a cook, J, he could make the world's largest pie. Except that may end up a bit redundant after Lois worked on the giant tart in Ida's Dance.

Dewey

Minimalistic
theblinddevil said:
how about we [...] send it into fox, or the Malcolm in the Middle Writers or whoever, imagine if our episode was aired on TV!! [...] might even list the site in the credits!! [...] wouldn't it be worth trying? What does everyone else think?
I don't want to sound too pessimistic here, but I imagine they must receive thousands of plot suggestions and scripts from fans on a daily basis. I have an image in my mind of mail bags just full of suggestions for the show that are clogging up their offices. They probably get so many, that they don't even open most of them.

But who knows, you may get lucky!

MITM18

Thats right.

Read Below is FOX's official statement on fan submissions

I have written a script for my favorite FOX show. Where can I send it?

ANSWER:

Keep on writing.....the more you write the better you will get !!

But....
Do not send in ideas or scripts to FOX or to the show unless it is through an accredited agent. ALL unsolicited ideas and scripts are left unopened and are THROWN AWAY. This is for YOUR protection.

---------------------------------------------

Dont be discouraged, write because you enjoy writing not because it might get through FOX security ;)

MITM18

Yes I am very sure they recieve full scripts from people. Over at Lucasfilm my buddies tell me that they recieve tons of scripts thinking George Lucas will use their ideas or people send star wars fan ficition books to Lucasfilm thinking it will be published.

As it says

Do not send in ideas or scripts to FOX or to the show unless it is through an accredited agent. ALL unsolicited ideas and scripts are left unopened and are THROWN AWAY. This is for YOUR protection.

I dont want to squash your hopes and dreams but the reality is unless your a writer for MITM your "script" will not be seen on the small screen.

If you want to be a TV writer, keep on writing and get an agent.

MITM18

Exactly :D

There are many online script contests you can submit your script too aswell.

Also be very warry of who you give your ORIGINAL movie/tv idea too because if you dont read the terms and conditions carefully they can steal your ideas without giving you a dime for it.

Dewey

Minimalistic
...Also, if you go on to write anything, be sure to double check your spelling. Episode, for example only has one 'P'. Just thought I'd point this out in a thread where you are intending to show off your creative writing skills. - Perhaps not such a good idea to make spelling mistakes - especially in the headings.

This is just constructive criticism.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Wow, great script, blind devil. I actually like the first ending better. The second seems a bit, I don't know, it seems like you're suddenly ending the episode; like in Carnival, when suddenly everything just seemed to end.

We could get the idea to Fox...if we all pitch in and hire an accredited agent....or convince one to do it pro bono.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
If you use official scrpt-writing format, each page of script equates to approximately one minute of video.

MITM18

Actually thats not always the case since a battle scene can be two lines on the page of script but can last many many minutes on the screen.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
If a battle scene is only two lines, then it's not specific enough. But you're right, it's not always the case. But it's a good rule of thumb that can give you a rough idea of how long a finished product might be.

APK

I had an idea for a sitcom and am writing scripts for it (I'm on the fourth one now.) I use the font Courier 11, and the scripts roughly amount to about 24/25 pages. I'd suggest transcribing an episode of Malcolm in the Middle and typing it up in the normal teleplay format (either Courier, or Courier New is used, and the number is usually 12, although I myself am using 11 on my computer) and see how many pages it comes to. Then that will you give you an idea of how many pages to use for your own script.

I've been on some websites that tell you how to set out a screenplay or a teleplay; unfortunately I don't recall many of their names, but Wikipedia has some information on screenwriting. By "screenwriting", it mainly refers to writing movie scripts, but I think a similar method of writing applies to scripts for TV as well - i.e. I believe the same font is used for both movies and TV shows, and the terminlogy remains similar - for instance, at the beginning of your script, you'd put the scene (usually this is done in letters, so you'd have Scene A, Scene B, Scene C, etc...and there are usually two acts...after you've written "Scene A" or whichever scene it is, you then type the setting and what time of day it is. For instance, let's have a scene with Lois and the boys in the kitchen:

ACT 1

SCENE A

INT. KITCHEN - DAY

LOIS IS PUTTING BREAKFAST
ON THE TABLE. MALCOLM AND
REESE ARE FIGHTING ON THE
FLOOR AND DEWEY IS FLICKING
CEREAL AT THEM.

LOIS
Reese! Malcolm! Stop fighting and eat your
breakfast this instant! Dewey! I can think
of a far more productive way to use cereal
than to throw it at your brothers! Eat it!
You should be thankful you're not one of
those poor little starving children...

Anyway, that's kind of how a screenplay/teleplay would look. I don't think it's entirely 100% accurate, but I think it's pretty close.

EDIT: The part where Lois talks should be in the centre of the page, but it won't remain in the centre on here. But on a screenplay/teleplay format, the speech is in the centre.

MITM18

If you are really want to do this some day, read books on screenplay and scriptwriting.

Read scripts and books.

Take a course in college or something.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Actually, I did take a course on it in high school. The final project was to write, direct, and edit your own movie. Fascinating class.