Is this an illegal relationship?

MITM_Fan

Lets say I had a gf younger 5 years younger (or more) than me, would I be arrested and have a criminal record?

It seems weird because I'd never intend on doing anything that would harm her. And I'm trying to stay away from getting a criminal record at all costs, because when I'm in for a job (for example) I'd feel like they'd make their decision already basing on the profile.

To be honest, I'm 20 years old (like it shows on the profile) but I don't feel this old, actually, like a teen/young person or even a kid sometimes. :p

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
As far as the law goes, If you are over 16 and she is under 16, then any sexual contact is illegal, in the UK.

Yes you could be arrested but worse you would be put on the sex-offenders register which can mess up your life forever.

MITM_Fan

As far as the law goes, If you are over 16 and she is under 16, then any sexual contact is illegal, in the UK.

Yes you could be arrested but worse you would be put on the sex-offenders register which can mess up your life forever.

That's just stupid, but it's the law.

So it's fine for a 20 year old to be with a 40/50 year old woman, but if she's under 18 it's illegal? Legalize it.

Question: What are the probabilities of the police knowing about such relationship?

When you love a person, you take the risks, and that's that.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
That's just stupid, but it's the law.

So it's fine for a 20 year old to be with a 40/50 year old woman, but if she's under 18 it's illegal? Legalize it.

Question: What are the probabilities of the police knowing about such relationship?

When you love a person, you take the risks, and that's that.

I'd consult a lawyer. I'm not one.

Richiepiep

Administrator
I'd consult a lawyer. I'm not one.

I would say so too. In the Netherlands, as in Britain and many other countries, the age of consent is 16. In the Netherlands, practically speaking 12 is regularly accepted, provided that the age difference is not too great. I think that's crucial.

Obviously, one wouldn't, at least not in a liberal country, completely outlaw two 14 or 15-year olds having sex, but bigger age differences would allow teachers, minders or scout leaders having their way, which is, equally obviously, hardly ever seen as acceptable, given the difference in experience and authority. This would be true of Portugal too I guess, in terms of legal precedents.

I would never take the risk, because of the repercussions, and the way it could keep haunting you (and your younger partner!) later in life, especially now that online information is accessible everywhere and at any moment.

Rich

Last edited: