Hanson do Blues Brothers tribute

Richiepiep

Administrator
Pop group Hanson, known chiefly in these quarters for contributing an original song Smile to the MITM soundtrack (heard during the Old Mrs. Old (2x11) joyride) and for inspiring Frankie Muniz to start drumming (which has served him well recently), have decided to pay tribute to their all-time best-loved movie by going all r 'n b, that is old-school rhythm 'n blues as practised by the likes of Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder when he was still a wee one, and Steve Winwood, also when wet behind the ears and likewise chummily known as Stevie.

Check out the uncanny resemblance between the original scene from the 1980 Blues Brothers movie with the late great Ray Charles, aided and abetted by Dan Aykroyd and another late great one called John Belushi ...

Ray Charles: Shake Your Tailfeather

... and Hanson's uncanny (I've said it) re-enactment to their own original tune with Weird Al Yankovic jamming pride of place wielding a wild tambourine:

Hanson: Thinking 'Bout Somethin'

Uncanny, isn't it? :cool:

Rich

Last edited:

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I LOVE the Blues Brothers. I'm not so much into Hanson's music, though. In addition, I thought their video was a little too close to the original. As an homage, I guess it would have been better not to copy exact shots.

By the way, a similar thing has been done before by German singer Jan Delay:

edit: not sure if the embedded video works. Here's the link to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DiHqkCbaCg

Last edited by a moderator:

Richiepiep

Administrator
I LOVE the Blues Brothers. I'm not so much into Hanson's music, though. In addition, I thought their video was a little too close to the original. As an homage, I guess it would have been better not to copy exact shots.

Which are my exact same thoughts! I haven't been into Hanson for a while, because I lost interest, and their music made less of an impression on me. I really love thir new song, great source material for the video too (yes, and I knew you love the movie;)), but I find it too literal, more copycats than hepcats, hey! It's a pity they didn't create their own stuff while acknowledging their heroes. I said (on their forum) it was a bit like a band who're Queen fans, who do a symphonic rock song a bit like Queen, but then go on to recreate their Bohemian Rhapsody video! Which is why a genuine tribute can easily be misread as cheesy, or even offensive parody.

By the way, a similar thing has been done before by German singer Jan Delay.

Wow, great find, man! This is really weird, seeing the same source of inspiration twice, and coming so close after each other! (Jan Delay is from 2009). Very cool to hear German with a Jamaican accent, wouldn't have thought it possible ;). Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Soul (Zoo), the album title, sounds great too as a reference.

It struck me that Jan Delay is much more abrasive than Hanson. I understood words like 'boozing and whoring around', 'dirty slut', 'don't give a f*ck', 'f*ck off' and 'selling crack'. Don't really know how to take this song? I don't think Hanson would ever be that graphic :w00t:

Rich

Last edited: