Encoders, DVD creators, home remaster/encoders please read

MITM_Fan

So, since FOX doesn't care about us fans, I've thought of this idea.

Using the sources available to create high quality episodes.

Sources
- Season 1 R1 DVD9 Retail
- Season 2 XviD PDTV CobraBK Rips
- Season 3 XviD SDTV *Unknown* Rips
- Season 4 XviD PDTV CobraBK Rips
- Season 5 XviD HDTV 480p *Various Scene Groups* Rips
- Season 6 X264 720P (Episodes 01 to 09 in 720p *Unknown*) and XviD HDTV 480p *Various Scene Groups* Rips
- Season 7 XviD HDTV 480p *Various Scene Groups* Rips

And the DVD's could be sized DVD5 with 3-4 eps or DVD9 with 6-7 eps.

Come on, talented people that know this stuff please help MitM get the complete serie on DVD with proper quality.

If I knew how to encode I would've done it by now and also the menus (not Nero, but using Sony DVD Architect and linking everything).

Thanks. ;)

hornetfig

Using the sources available to create high quality episodes.

Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask :)

- Season 2 XviD PDTV CobraBK Rips

Without tracking down copies of these which specifically have CobraBK in their filename, these are 624x352 widescreen PAL rips from SkyOne?

- Season 1 R1 DVD9 Retail

These are fullscreen. Not ideal.

- Season 5 XviD HDTV 480p *Various Scene Groups* Rips

AFAIK these are 624x352 reductions of 480p too, right? (except s05e08 which no one has in widescreen?)

The bottom line is the upscaling results you get from this material is pretty poor.

--

But I can offer you something.

In Australia, Malcolm is actually getting its first syndicated run in widescreen. Screenings occur sporadically on Network Ten (where some episodes have randomly been 4x3). But it is syndicated as two episodes daily on cable. This latter began in widescreen on 1 April.

Recording subscription TV in Australia is effectively impossible in a pure digital fashion. So the best I can offer you is S-Video. Meh, at least you don't get the colour bleeding of composite. Quality is comparable (maybe better) than the SkyOne widescreen rips.

So the process is this: DVB-C 576i --> S-Video --> PVR (720x576i MPEG2) --> deinterlace, crop, de-anamorphise, chop for ads --> reencode

Just like the SkyOne rips yes this is DVB/PAL. We run at 25fps. The way this is accomplished is the film material (23.78fps) is taken raw and sped to 25fps. Audio is pitch corrected. Thus every PAL rip of mine will be around 1 minute shorter than a telecined NTSC rip. But there'll be no judder (kind of irrelevant here anyway).

For these rips you get 180MB, 624x352, MKV, h.264 (high profile), 160kps MP3 stereo audio. A scene release would be 176MB 624x352, AVI, XVID. The video quality of the h.264 video is noticeably but marginally better than XVID.

Anyway by way of intro here's s01e01 "Pilot" (you can see the director's leg in the 16x9 area in the closing credits):

s01e01: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RP4L5X64

I'll post the rest of Season 1 in the appropriate thread in a few days. Season 2 is already available widescreen, so I probably won't bother. Season 3 will air in May (probably widescreen but no guarantees).

Batch

I'm still working on getting every episode in SD Widescreen. I say still, as i've been working on it for the past 3 years, but University and HDD crashes have intervened :(

While i'm sure i'll manage it eventually ( i'm about 6 episods short at the moment but keep missing them) the recording quality still isn't great.

Batch

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Welcome hornetfig, a great first post. Our spam filter caught your post (probs because it was long) but things should be all good now.

MITM_Fan

Thanks so much for the response, any thing that you bring to us MitM fans will be awesome.

I want to have all seasons in Hi-Def but it isn't possible, at least I hope later on we'll get all in actual high quality.

So excited about downloading season 1 episodes from you, can't wait to watch them again. ^_^

Thanks a lot.