What do you guys think about "Breaking Bad"? [SPOILERS] - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think about "Breaking Bad"? [SPOILERS]

It's awesome.

Just don't mix Hal with Walter because they're quite different, better to say, nothing alike.

Season 4 is coming this September, I think.

Well anyway, I presume this will be the last season because they/he can't keep doing this forever just like Dexter.

Default Two articles in leading Dutch publications about 'Breaking Bad' - which isn't shown!

I just wanted to report that two highly favourable two-page reviews have appeared in leading Dutch publications about Breaking Bad.

One in our most 'intellectual' Dutch daily newspaper NRC Handelsblad (two-page spread in its Cultural Supplement, with cover photo of Bryan - in his underpants of course ) from September 3, 2010.

The other in the television weekly VPRO-gids, another two page-article with Bryan in his undies, from October 9, 2010.

This wouldn't be so striking, hadn't it been for the fact that the series ... isn't shown in the Netherlands! The NRC review is based on the DVD release, the VPRO one ties in with the German-dubbed version which is now shown on the German-French cultural TV channel Arte.

Some choice quotes from the NRC:

"In Breaking Bad, Bryan Cranston perfects what William H. Macy could only suggest within the limited duration of a movie [Fargo]. In a TV series which could have been made by the Coen Brothers, Cranston is given hours and hours to shape his character and to transform him, with the aid of an intelligent and subtle script."

"The shamelessness with which Bryan Cranston dives into his role is totally compelling. He is physically impressive, but keeps his facial expressions in check, because though Walt White gains a lot in courage, he doesn't care for showing off. With his thin lips, his mouth quickly turns into a sharp line in his face, which he can just twist a little to suggest despondency or contempt."

"Cinematographically, the series is attractive, with a singular colour scheme, "image rhyme" (corresponding imagery), and recurring image gags."

Some choice quotes from the VPRO-gids:

"Superb series ... one of the best, most surprising and best looking TV series of the past years ... visually striking ... extremely gripping, true-to-life dialogue ... Bryan Cranston gives his all as Walt White - he rightly won the best actor Emmy for three years in a row".

VPRO-gids link: "Cancer, drugs and financial worries":

http://gids.vpro.nl/2010/10/09/kanke...nciele-zorgen/
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Oct 19, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
    All the people are so happy now, their heads are caving in.
    I'm glad they are a snowman with protective rubber skin.

Beiß mein' Schorf, Blasenloch!

There was also a huge 3 page article in the AD-newspaper some time ago. Then the idiots of RTL decided to pull it from the programming again. So far it never aired here.

If anybody is interested I scanned them in and you can find them here: (huge files and they are in Dutch, when I have the time I will translate them. Overall it's pretty much one huge praise for the show.)
    http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-TDRCKUBZ.jpg (cover)
    http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-QGWZVOSA.jpg
    http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-PTAKHJHX.jpg

Any thoughts on the new season?
    I've only seen the first episode and it blew me away.
    Spoiler for ":
    Didn't expect that Jessie would actually kill Gale, although it was inevitable with all the events taking place. And Gus killing Victor was so unexpected I was shocked! Gus is so creepy with his silence. Funny how scared Walter was and Jessie acted like he didn't cared that much.

(I am downloading the second episode right now, I can't wait to see it!)
    Last edited by Karin; Jul 25, 2011 at 04:45 AM.

I don't think it's as funny and quality made as malcolm in the middle.

I'm so glad we at long last have Breaking Bad on Dutch TV now as of Jan. 1, 2012, that is public broadcasting, without any commercials and stuff, but it's late in coming by now, and loads of fans will have seen it as downloads, streams or on DVD.

But first and foremost, I'm really excited they decided to put it on after more than two years of campaining on my part, and I guess there will have been others promoting it too, especially after all the Emmies they received.

I sent them a mail back in August 2009, but the programmers replied that they thought the target group was too small, and they had no room for it, because they already had Dexter on, Nip and Tuck and Mad Men. Later on, they suspected, like me, that lots of fans had already seen part of the series one way or another, and this is of course the dilemma with programming on standard TV channels nowadays: there are so many other ways of viewing it, legal or illegal.

Breaking Bad is getting somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 viewers in the Netherlands now, which sounds small, but puts it in the same league as Dexter and Mad Men, offbeat quality drama series with limited audiences, partly because of late-night programming on week days I guess. Of course, these numbers don't count the numbers of postponed DVR and online viewers, so it's probably a lot more in total.
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Jan 15, 2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    If anybody is interested I scanned them in and you can find them here: (huge files and they are in Dutch, when I have the time I will translate them. Overall it's pretty much one huge praise for the show.)
    Hi Karin,

Thanks a lot for the article scans! No, I hadn't seen it, and as there are Dutch fans too on this board, and Google and other search engines can take you straight to images regardless of the surrounding site, I have decided to scale them down a bit to a more manageable format and upload them to our Gallery!

Rich

Some choice quotes from Dutch TV Magazines:

"Closer to reality than any other TV series." VARA Gids

"A strong crime-drama series in the style of Dexter." Mikro Gids

"Breathtaking and addictive." VPRO Gids

"Best series ever." Veronica Magazine

"If you are just going to watch one series this year, it should be this one. Yes, that's how good Breaking Bad is. In the meantime, four seasons of the series have been made, and they are all just as good." Televizier Magazine

Default Ratings for 'Breaking Bad' in Holland are going down ...

It's now the second season for 'Breaking Bad' on Dutch TV and, to my dismay, all of a sudden, ratings are dropping.

I must say that the 11 p.m. slot on Sunday night is far from the best, because obviously most people will have to get up early on Monday morning and DVR programming each week is apparently too much of a bother, but VPRO-programmers say no other time slots are available for a 'cult series with a limited audience'. Apparently, this is public broadcasting for you nowadays. Around prime time, it caters for the lowest common denominator, just like any other commercial channel.

It started with 181,000 viewers for the pilot, which is reasonable enough for Dutch viewers, and then vacillated between 150,000 and 200,000, but for the past two weeks, viewers have gone down to 133,000 last week, and now just 98,000 last Sunday. So numbers are lacking in spite of uniformly rave reviews.

I've read about viewers who are giving up because of the late hour, because there are alternatives on torrents and DVDs, and because they are losing track of the various story threads, and find the suspense lacking - not because of the series, but because one week in between is too slow when there are other options.

This doesn't bode well for the remaining seasons, and VPRO may be reconsidering their decision. Damn, this almost feels like a personal blow. Still, I dont see what can be done right now, given the unholy hour and the, at least for many, readily available alternatives.

Geez, it must be a terrible dilemma for, by now, traditional TV programmers to choose movies and TV series which look like old news to all the Internet-savvy buffs.

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Feb 13, 2012 at 08:28 PM.

not good. I think if they would show it earlier in the evening there would be more viewers..

I hope it's just a wave and that it gets better in the upcoming weeks. When the storylines get more interesting, people are going to talk about it more & that will hopefully result in more viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    not good. I think if they would show it earlier in the evening there would be more viewers..

I hope it's just a wave and that it gets better in the upcoming weeks. When the storylines get more interesting, people are going to talk about it more & that will hopefully result in more viewers.
    Yes, let's hope it will! I just thought of also checking 'legal' online viewers to get a more complete picture, and I see these are declining as well: from 40,000 for the pilot, to 20,000 for S2.

We'll just have to wait and see. By the way, I'm in touch with the general programming manager, so we'll see what we can do, though I'm told that the current late-night slot is the only one that is available for them.

Rich