Former teen star Corey Haim dies at 38

Richiepiep

Administrator
Today, former teen idol Corey Haim died, possibly of a drug overdose, at 38. He had a long history of substance abuse. He starred in several teen movies of the Eighties, like The Lost Boys and License to Drive.

It just shows, unfortunately, how right Bryan Cranston was in our chat getting emotional about the young MITM stars growing up in the limelight, under close public scrutiny, and how this might adversely affect their lives, especially as (often less popular) adults, and how we should keep a certain responsibility towards them in later life.

The 'other Corey', his peer and friend Corey Feldman, who he sometimes co-starred with, also struggled with drug abuse for some time, but kicked the habit. He issued a statement today: “My eyes weren’t even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived.”

Two weeks ago, Chris Masterson twittered R.I.P. Boner, to commemorate Andrew Koenig, who played Boner in the comedy series Growing Pains. He committed suicide at the age of 41. Over the past few years, we also lost former child performers Michael Jackson, of course, Brad Renfro, who co-starred with Frankie Muniz in Deuces Wild, of drug overdose at 25, and Jonathan Brandis, who committed suicide at 27.

Justin Berfield also referred to these issues in a recent interview a recent interview : "I stayed out of the public eye as much as possible. I was never the guy going to the clubs, being caught with underage drinking or things like that. I decided early on I wanted to be known for my work, not who I was out with at parties. (...) [Fame shouldn't be a career goal]. That's the wrong approach...you're not always assured of getting another show. (...) You've got to give a kid time to be a kid. [When you get famous], people come out of the woodwork, telling you what they can do for you. Ninety-nine percent of the time, these aren't the people you should listen to. You need to listen to people who were around before you got on a show".

It shows how we shouldn't take fame at an early age for granted as just a thrill and something these performers can bask in and fondly remember for the rest of their lives. There's a certain tragedy inherent in the fact that, at least in the public eye, you have peaked before you even become an adult.

Rich

Last edited:

Movieye

RIP Corey Haim.

I've been doing press stuff all day today because of his death, and want to mention that the cause of death is actually looking like H1N1 flu. He had collapsed in front of his mother in the tiny apartment they shared in Los Angeles. We all await the coroner's report.

Corey Haim was definitely a career example for all child actors that it is very difficult to make the transition to adulthood.

To put this in perspective, Corey Haim was practically the Robert Pattinson of the 80s - famous because of his classic vampire movie, THE LOST BOYS.

Like a lot of actors, Corey Haim was really into music. My theory is that actors like to make music because it's more self-expressive as opposed to reading someone else's script.

Sadly, Corey Haim wrote a song a few months ago called "Mend Me" which was all about recovery.