Justin Berfield on Sons of Tucson and Being a Child Star

PeterU

Super Moderator
Front Page Post

Justin Berfield (Reese) has been working as one of the producers of Sons of Tucson, a new family comedy on FOX that also features Todd Holland on the production team, one of the key people behind Malcolm in the Middle. And like Malcolm, it focuses around a group of brothers -- in this case they need to find a 'dad for hire' in order to stay together.

The Sioux City Journal have a really interesting article/interview with Justin on his experience of being a child star on Malcolm, how he came to be interested in working behind the camera and how his experience with Malcolm in the Middle (and particularly being such a young actor) is very important to his current role on the new show.
During the first year of "Malcolm," Berfield tried to keep his hand in both worlds. "I went to a regular public high school and it was extremely difficult. I felt I was constantly behind because the teachers didn't give you your school work on time. I was constantly frustrated."

The next year, he switched to an online school and worked at his own pace.

Gradually, his character -- the rebellious Reese -- got more screen time. Eventually, Berfield became adept at behind-the-camera work. "I give full credit to Linwood (Boomer, the show's producer). He helped me. And whenever I needed a personal day off, he made sure I got it. He understood it was a job. But he also realized you've got to give a kid time to be a kid."

Now, he's doing the same with "Tucson's" sons. He sees himself in Matthew Levy, one of the show's stars, and he figures Levy will be interested in life behind the camera someday, too. "He asks questions. He wants to know why we do what we do. That's similar to what I did."
It's a really interesting read if you're interested in his experience behind the scenes of Malcolm, or Sons of Tucson, or just the unique challenges involved with working with young actors.

Sons of Tucson premieres in the US on Sunday, March 14 at 9:30/8:30 Central on FOX.

Source (image and quote): Sioux City Journal

Last edited by a moderator:

Siobhan

There’s a few on Getty that I’ve seen – he’s smiling in one of them.

I don’t think he’s pissed or anything, I reckon Justin’s just really focused on getting exactly what he wants across fully and properly. Or someone said something that hacked him off… :p

longtimelover

I've certainly got it marked! I've been excited for the show's pilot to premier for a while now, can't wait to see what Berfield brings to the table!

Siobhan

Any other pics from that 'meet the press?' he looks pissed!:confused:

2ymc03k.jpg

Okay, I had a look around.. I found this one. Better? ;)

ronstevens

Well being a child star can obviously have adverse effects on people, I don't think you need examples.

We are lucky to have Justin still in Hollywood, fortunately he wasn't ruined by stardom at an early age and was able to stay grounded.

From Wiki:

On April 6, 2010, it was announced that Fox had cancelled Sons of Tucson after only four episodes,[4] the remaining nine episodes that were ordered will be burned off beginning June 6, 2010, at 7:30 ET/PT

FOX didn't even really give it a chance!