The theme song was done in (HD?) widescreen!

The original themesong used in Pilot and Red Dress has been found in natural 16:9 widescreen! Take a look!

I found a way to remove the YouTube video that was causing problems and will try again tomorrow, but just use the link in my second post for now. Thanks!

Last edited:

PeterU

Super Moderator
If you have the season 1 DVD, on the commentary for the Extended Pilot episode, Linwood Boomer mentions that they did two of the intro sequences (for the first season at least, I know they were updated for later seasons).

One of them was apparently done really quickly and cheaply -- in about 3 days and $2000, and the other was an 'expensive' version they used on Red Dress (and possibly the televised Pilot, but I only have the Extended Pilot on DVD which uses the old titles). According to the commentary, they actually ended up liking the cheap titles better, so used them for the rest of the season.

This seems to be those 'expensive' titles, which presumably were made to support widescreen in case they needed that. Good find. :)

As for the YouTube video's claim of 'HD' -- I'm doubtful. It looks merely upscaled to me and to my knowledge this was never aired in HD, so the poster of that YouTube video would have to have a copy that no-one else has access to in order for the HD claim to be true.

Actually, the expensive theme song wasn't used . This is just an earlier version of the normal theme song. But, they are in widescreen as they do not appear to stretched or upscaled. And the regular theme was done in widscreen too since in the later seasons in HD, they are natural widescreen.
If you have the season 1 DVD, on the commentary for the Extended Pilot episode, Linwood Boomer mentions that they did two of the intro sequences (for the first season at least, I know they were updated for later seasons).

One of them was apparently done really quickly and cheaply -- in about 3 days and $2000, and the other was an 'expensive' version they used on Red Dress (and possibly the televised Pilot, but I only have the Extended Pilot on DVD which uses the old titles). According to the commentary, they actually ended up liking the cheap titles better, so used them for the rest of the season.

This seems to be those 'expensive' titles, which presumably were made to support widescreen in case they needed that. Good find. :)

As for the YouTube video's claim of 'HD' -- I'm doubtful. It looks merely upscaled to me and to my knowledge this was never aired in HD, so the poster of that YouTube video would have to have a copy that no-one else has access to in order for the HD claim to be true.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Well, at least it's in genuine widescreen! Great find.

I think its high-def by the way, because the saved video has a resolution of 1280×720 with a frame rate of 29.97.

Because YouTube is likely to remove all MITM-related stuff, unless it's a slideshow, I have saved the video, so we can host it later.

Rich

P.S. Of course the video can have been upscaled to this resolution from a lower-grade source. I do get that impression.

Last edited:
Well, at least it's in genuine widescreen! Great find.

I think its high-def by the way, because the saved video has a resolution of 1280×720 with a frame rate of 29.97.

Because YouTube is likely to remove all MITM-related stuff, unless it's a slideshow, I have saved the video, so we can host it later.

Rich

P.S. Of course the video can have been upscaled to this resolution from a lower-grade source. I do get that impression.

Thanks, but what puzzles me is that I haven't seen this in Widescreen ever. And when SkyHD shows MITM the theme is 4:3 until the later eps where the widescreen theme footage was used, so where did somebody find the original theme in widescreen? This seems like something only the studios would have access to. Also, Ansem, this song was used in the USA broadcast of Pilot and internationally in Red Dress. Although on the DVD, the extended pilot features the regular theme, since the extended pilot was put together before a theme was made,and the pilot that had the theme was the one that aired, they just placed in the regular one that was being used at that point in time, but added 1st season clips that were in storage as the theme song for the DVD. And the song sounds different because another recording and mixing of the song was done later to make it have what seems to me a "punk sound".

Last edited:

CKhaleel

I've found out that its actually a DVD Rip from the Season 1 DVD, but apparently its the real 16:9 widescreen intro, but its squished into the 4:3 format so it could fit on a regular screen, so that when you stretch it, the 16:9 version is revealed.