When did...

makeit14

I've been wondering about this for a while, and I'm just wondering does anybody know when they began filming the 1st season?

zsstefanov

They began filming Malcolm In the Middle in 1999 and the first aired show was on 9th of January 2000. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Zdravko

Richiepiep

Administrator
I've been wondering about this for a while, and I'm just wondering does anybody know when they began filming the 1st season?

Hi Stefani,

I think Bryan Cranston told us about this in his online chat. If my memory doesn't fail me, the Pilot was filmed in March/April 1999. After that, it took a few months to get the green light from Fox for the full season, so my guess is the rest of Season 1 was started after the 1999 summer holidays. The Pilot was first aired on January 9, 2000. That's why especially Frankie and Erik (Dewey) look older in the rest of S1, and the Malcolm character had to be changed quickly from a supposed 9-year-old in the Pilot to a 12-year-old in the other early episodes (Frankie Muniz was 13/14 in reality during the fiming of S1). After that, they didn't even bother to get their ages straight, though they are sometimes mentioned later on in the series.

Rich

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I didn't notice anything different about Reese or Malcolm after the Pilot but Dewey's buzz cut made him look a few years older (whereas in the Pilot he actually looked his character's age) and Francis's hair was also shorter.