Live Video Chat with Chris Masterson Tuesday!

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Front Page Post

After the success of our video chat with Bryan we have setup a live video chat with Chris Masterson to continue the 10th Anniversary celebrations!

Tuesday 23rd February at 3pm PST / 6pm EST / 11pm GMT (UTC) Live on BlogTV.com

If you can't make the live time and would like a question answered reply, and I'll try and get Chris to answer it. You don't need a BlogTV.com account to join the chatroom and ask questions.

Watch it live below, but go here to join the chat! Hope to see you all there!

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Looking for anybody willing to help with a backup recording, I'm gunna have a better system this time but its always good to have a backup!

PeterU

Super Moderator
Assuming nothing unexpected happens preventing me from being there, I will make sure to run a (full, this time ;) ) backup recording.

Hopefully we won't be needing it!

Richiepiep

Administrator
That's great, completely (at least to me) unexpected news! (*) Don't know yet if I can make it though, because I'm going out that night..... :s

I'll see if I can get some questions ready for tomorrow.

(*) I see some tweets to and fro on the subject now, though.

Rich :D

Movieye

yikes - would love to attend but may be working then! hope you're using all outbound comms - like twitter or email lists - to get big attendance!!!!

Richiepiep

Administrator
I just put the front page post about the live chat up in the Chris Masterson Yahoo! Group: http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/christopherkennedymasterson2/

It says it has 465 members, but as with lots of these groups, I have a hunch the last on-topic post was made ages ago, and it's now mostly spam-infested. Nevertheless, it can't do any harm!

For good measure, I also posted it in the two other largeish groups I found:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/the_christopher_kennedy_masterson_club/ (201 members)

and http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Christopher-Masterson-Fans/ (385 members)

Rich

Last edited:

PeterU

Super Moderator
The chat went really well. Chris left after about 75 mins of Q&A -- I think viewer numbers fluctuated, but there was a good showing of people participating in the chat right up until the end when Chris left. A few more people stayed for about 15 mins once Chris had gone, where TJ answered a few questions himself(!) and showed off some of his stuff signed by Bryan again. :)

Richiepiep

Administrator
I missed the first half of it, but I really enjoyed the second half. I'm looking forward to the (hopefully) complete recording, because I don't know what questions were asked, and what his replies were.

If I had only had more time, I'd have 'Chrissified' our Gallery a bit more, in Bryan-honoured tradition, and would have done more research. I just unearthed a chat with Chris from Febr. 2000 (!) for instance, so it'd have been a great framework for confronting him (embarrassing him? :p) with things he said exactly ten years ago. How time flies - like an arrow! How fruit flies - like a banana!

I also didn't know he had an acting half sister Alanna, and a half brother Jordan (Jordy), both of whom turned out to have had walk-on parts on MITM!

But I will address these topics in full later on.

P.S. In the chat room, someone joked about how I would or should have been peeved about some speed skating event! I didn't get it, because doing the chat took priority over Vancouver, even with Dutch favourites in action. He was of course referring to Sven Kramer's (or rather his coach') skating blunder, because he forgot to change lanes in the Olympics' 10,000 metres, which disqualified him for the gold medal! Which only goes to show how tiny mistakes can have dire consequences.

Because nearly all jokes can only be understood by Dutch people, I thought I'd post this for our international audience. It's Chad Hedrick being interviewed a year ago by a 9-year-old Dutch boy for Dutch TV, who calls him 'Chuck Hattrick' or something like that! In case you wonder, he has an ear piece, and his multilingual dad is acting as 'kid whisperer'. The expression 'een scheve schaats rijden' (ride a skew skate) means make an embarrassing mistake, with overtones of cheating on your partner or promiscuity!

Last edited:

PeterU

Super Moderator
Just a quick update on availability of the chat video -- I have been in contact with tjpeople. His copy of the chat apparently had a few issues, so it seems we will be using my recording.

I should be given access tomorrow night, so I am hoping to have the video available for the weekend (possibly late tomorrow, most likely it will be posted on Saturday).

Richiepiep

Administrator
Man, I'm amazed, now having seen the full chat! This just went brilliantly! I begin to wonder now, are all the MITM cast and crew so nice and forthcoming? I guess so, because we're all very discerning viewers and fans :p!

It's clear that, apart from the series we enjoy, the cast thought of this program as a very, very special, inspiring and fun experience and it shows in their eyes, words and expressions.

I'm also very chuffed to hear Chris' current favourite shows are Mad Men and 30 Rock - my favourites too, but then I guess he hasn't seen Breaking Bad yet (?!).

TJ, thanks once more for hosting so gracefully and PeterU for saving. I guess it's like picking the live audio stream off the sound card, which I do quite often, but this time the streaming video off the video card, and there's no simple recording device? I wonder how many MBs per minute that would take, I guess loads, and I doubt my PC would be up to it, all the while trying to keep track of the live stream I'd like to interact with.

It any rate, these chats are appetizing! Bring them on (which also includes me as bringer-on of course :rolleyes:).

Best and re-enjoy the moment! We're going places - virtual and real :D!

Rich

By the way, what is (I'm intrigued) an 'adult bowling alley'??!!

Last edited:

PeterU

Super Moderator
TJ, thanks once more for hosting so gracefully and PeterU for saving. I guess it's like picking the live audio stream off the sound card, which I do quite often, but this time the streaming video off the video card, and there's no simple recording device? I wonder how many MBs per minute that would take, I guess loads, and I doubt my PC would be up to it, all the while trying to keep track of the live stream I'd like to interact with.

I have a pretty powerful MacBook Pro that I used to record the chat (2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM). You do need a fair bit of computing power to run the Flash video stream and capture its output at the same time, but it doesn't have to be quite as powerful as my system to still achieve good results.

The technical setup for the recording is that I use an application called Screenium on the Mac to record the video. I literally just tell Screenium to capture the portion of the screen where the video is and to capture everything going to the speakers as the audio track. I have to then be careful not to do anything like move my mouse into the capture area (sometimes difficult when the chat is right beside it!) or cause any other sounds to be made by the computer, or they will show up in the video.

For this chat, I then ended up with a 6 GB file which I then had to compress into a suitable size and format to put on the website. Once compressed it is a much more manageable 133 MB!

Richiepiep

Administrator
By the way, three Americans were held captive by the FARC for 5 years after their plane crashed in the Colombian jungle, and they were accused by the FARC of being CIA spies. See the book 'Out of Captivity'.

Tanja Nijmeijer, an activist Dutch girl, even joined the FARC out of idealism, but it's unclear now if she's been forced to stay on, or even alive. The FARC has a history of kidnapping, extorting and killing politicians and landowners, the most famous being Íngrid Betancourt.

They're not to be messed with IRL!

Rich

Richiepiep

Administrator
I have a pretty powerful MacBook Pro that I used to record the chat (2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM). You do need a fair bit of computing power to run the Flash video stream and capture its output at the same time, but it doesn't have to be quite as powerful as my system to still achieve good results.

Thanks! Mine is 3.4 GHz, but just 512 MB RAM, so even with virtual memory added, I doubt it's up to this task?

Rich

PeterU

Super Moderator
(I should have mentioned mine is a dual-core 2.66 GHz)

Thanks! Mine is 3.4 GHz, but just 512 MB RAM, so even with virtual memory added, I doubt it's up to this task?

Rich

Possibly, but the RAM may prove to be a limitation. The best way to know would be to try it out capturing something similar, like a YouTube video, as a test.

I presume you're on Windows, I'm not so familiar with the screen capturing software available there but Camtasia Studio is one of the most popular. I haven't used it, so I can't vouch at all for how good it is.

Richiepiep

Administrator
(I should have mentioned mine is a dual-core 2.66 GHz)

Possibly, but the RAM may prove to be a limitation. The best way to know would be to try it out capturing something similar, like a YouTube video, as a test.

I presume you're on Windows, I'm not so familiar with the screen capturing software available there but Camtasia Studio is one of the most popular. I haven't used it, so I can't vouch at all for how good it is.

Thanks for all the info! Yes, I'm on Windows, and I'll see if I can try Camtasia or perhaps even Screenium. The trouble for me is the live streaming format. YouTube vids and others can easily be downloaded because they're stored on a server and mostly not more than 10 mins. I think with a live show of 60+ minutes going on, I run the risk of getting a complete system crash, which would ruin both the chat and the recording.

I can try with 'missed programs' streams from TV channels. At least I can try and save the audio signal, which is the most essential part anyway chatwise.

Rich