Malcolm in the Middle Movie / Film / Motion Picture

Wemboy

Re: Isn't MITM popular enough for a motion picture?

simon_4420 said:
(can anyone think of a sitcom that has been made into a film??)

Well i was thinking about that question whilst reading the thread. It seems to me to be a very strange idea to try and make a sitcom into a film. First of all, is there any real point? I mean look at wide range of storylines they've been able to incorporate into the show just by using the normal format, with the odd two or three part episode along the way. Is there really anything to be gained artistically from trying to put out a feature film? Furthermore, like tjpeople said, it just isn't popular enough.

In answer to the question, the only shows i can think of that have had successful big screen transitions are beavis and butthead (do america) which was critically panned, and the South Park movie. Now South Park had something to gain by moving to the big screen because they werent as tied by censorship, they could dvelop an even crazier storyline, and make the show even more "offensive". MITM just doesn't need to go to the big screen, all the tools to make quality episodes of they kind they want to produce are available on the small screen.

simon_4420

I've changed my mind after reading other peoples posts. I don't think that you could make a film of Malcolm in the Middle. Making a sitcom into a film would be a bad idea.

purple

You should include every character there has ever been and make the family have loads of fun.

Like a huge party and invite everyone. Then you could have a few storylines. Like one for Dewey, one for Reese and one for Malcolm.

Yeah, that would be good.

Purple
XXXX

PBUNDY

What Happened With The Malcolm In The Middle Movie?

I was searching the internet today and found a very interesting article on hollywood.com. It was written in December 2000, and apparently there were plans in the works to bring Malcolm in the Middle to the big screen. Does anyone know why that fell through?

Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/313378

reese35

Re: What Happened With The Malcolm In The Middle Movie?

I don't believe it. We always thought MitM didn't need a movie, and lo and behold... I just don't frappin' believe it.

Ryebeach

While the source, Daily Variety, is solid, I think they were premature in reporting that news. The news came out in December 2000 and the show hadn't even been on the air a year yet. My best guess is that there had been preliminary talks about a feature film but that's all.

Murph

Yeah, probably just an idea, got reported before it was rejected.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis

I don't think it was rejected, per se, but they were probably trying to come up with the story for it when, unfortunatly, the ratings for Malcolm started sliding a bit, and then they decided to scratch the movie. Which sucks.:(

reese35

Well, the idea's been discussed many, many times here. We've always came to the conclusion that a movie would definitely jump the shark. In other words, an MitM movie would likely take the series down the tasteless path of no return.

By the way, welcome to our community. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MalcolmFun

I think to do a movie they would need to come up with really large plot archs that could fill the time. If they just took a couple of episode worthy plots and stuck them together it might be crappy. This is because the plot density of Malcolm is very high, the show jumps from scene to scene covering a lot of material. I bet they would need double or triple the length of script of most other movies.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
If I've said it once I've said it a million times Reese Joins the Army is as close as we'll get to an MITM movie and that's a good thing because like Mike said a movie would definitely jump the shark. But remember, Reese Joins the Army 1 & 2 and Reese Comes Home combine for an hour and 15 minutes total time, just shy of motion picture length.

D

Deleted member 1693

Beautiful quote, YG. Beautiful... old... quote.

D

Deleted member 1693

No problem... It kinda encompasses the entire idea of this forum.

It'd be cool if it were on the main page or something. Just a thought. Lol.

MalcolmFun

it will leave its legacy on the world of TV production for a long time to come.

I fear it doesn't actually get the recognition it deserves. It certainly didn't in terms of awards or Hollywood support. It practically reinvented the TV comedy and broke out of the traditional 'sitcom' style when those shows were dying and the trend was occurring to have TV full reality shows. Nevermind how funny the show itself is, it isnt even recognized that most sitcoms since 2000 practically copy many of its style ideas. Watch sitcoms filmed in the 90s vs 2007 many of the styles are like night and day. Why? I think much of it is copied from Malcolm which was pretty original. THere is nobody out there giving recognition for that.

It had crappy time slots and slipped off the rating map the last couple seasons. Even now on FX it gets the worst possible time slots on the channel. Compare to That 70's show which is on weeknights and the weekend all the time. It has been on there for months now it still isnt even on the FX website as a show on that channel. Who knows when they will release the DVDs. I will buy the whole series but by then I'm not even sure it will sell, the show may have faded into history. To me as a fan this show should be like Seinfeld, still going strong after a decade out of production, but lets face it that isnt happening and this show never got strong studio support and was barely even made.

AlexTheMartian

I fear it doesn't actually get the recognition it deserves. It certainly didn't in terms of awards or Hollywood support. It practically reinvented the TV comedy and broke out of the traditional 'sitcom' style when those shows were dying and the trend was occurring to have TV full reality shows. Nevermind how funny the show itself is, it isnt even recognized that most sitcoms since 2000 practically copy many of its style ideas. Watch sitcoms filmed in the 90s vs 2007 many of the styles are like night and day. Why? I think much of it is copied from Malcolm which was pretty original. THere is nobody out there giving recognition for that.

It had crappy time slots and slipped off the rating map the last couple seasons. Even now on FX it gets the worst possible time slots on the channel. Compare to That 70's show which is on weeknights and the weekend all the time. It has been on there for months now it still isnt even on the FX website as a show on that channel. Who knows when they will release the DVDs. I will buy the whole series but by then I'm not even sure it will sell, the show may have faded into history. To me as a fan this show should be like Seinfeld, still going strong after a decade out of production, but lets face it that isnt happening and this show never got strong studio support and was barely even made.

I agree, MITM should be getting as much or even more airplay as That 70's Show or Seinfeld gets... and what about Fresh Prince of Bel-Air? that show is on sooooo much even though it is a 90s show :eek:hmy: , why cant MITM get more syndication?? anyone ever read anything why they are not expanding syndication any more? is it also the darn music rights? What causes some series to be shown so often as reruns and others less-so?