Ideas for New Pages

Richiepiep

Administrator
I guess I'll be stringing together some related interviews as on thread.

This really belongs in the Suggestions and Site Development section, but it's relevant in the light of the anniversary, to make this site more attractive and easier to navigate.

There are some things that don't really go with the topicality of this site's blog format. Sometimes, you just need to keep permanent, thematically and/or chronologically ordered links to stuff like:

• Series introduction
  • Character bios ("Hal is Lois' henpecked husband. He's a total fanatic about all sorts of sports, which, in his mind, he would still love to indulge in as if he was the same age as his sons" etc.)
  • Cast and crew bios ("Bryan Cranston plays Hal....")
  • Informative interviews/chats with cast and crew, or choice quotes from them on certain topics.
  • Illuminating, well-written critical reviews of the series (by us or from professional sources).
  • Season previews, official ones from Fox or from other media/our own making.
  • News which isn't just topical, but more permanent in the sense that it sheds light on certain scriptwriting, scheduling or casting decisions etc.
  • Soundtrack and song listings.

Some of this could be part of the FAQ, which needs to be corrected and spruced up anyway. This way, essential background information on the series doesn't slide out of sight and gets more or less lost in the process, and we don't have to answer the same questions all over again ("What song is played when Malcolm drives the car .....", "What is the name of the actor who plays Stevie?" , "Who is Linwood Boomer" etc.)

I know the recreating Episode Guide from the broken down source involves a lot of work, but, for the moment, we could provide links to existing guides (like the excellent song listings) or at least include brief summaries to give it less of a crude, unattended appearance.

Rich

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestions I've moved the post here, as it felt too off topic for the other thread. I couldn't think of a very good title for the thread, but what your mainly talking about is "pages" on the site, like http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/about/

Its always been in my long term plan to do them, if you be interested in working on some Rich I can give you access to creating them.

Thanks for the suggestions I've moved the post here, as it felt too off topic for the other thread. I couldn't think of a very good title for the thread, but what your mainly talking about is "pages" on the site, like http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/about/

Its always been in my long term plan to do them, if you be interested in working on some Rich I can give you access to creating them.

Yes, I'd love to see the VC improve even more in the future!

Richiepiep

Administrator

Yes, expanding the 'About' section could be great, though it's generally about the site itself (chronology and technical plus contact details), and not the series content. Perhaps one 'About the site' spot, and one, prominently, 'About the series'?

I'm thinking about lending a hand, now that the Gallery is mostly done - it's never done, but it's done as far as the purely Malcolm-related content will allow us to go. There's not much more out there to upload, unless it's high-def screen captures of all episodes! And the WireImage event shots on hold of cast and crew of course.

My main problem is how original our descriptions have to be. There's a lot of info we could copy straight from Fox (I would include a copyright Fox mark) and other sites, such as the BBC and various broadcasters and episode guides, but how fair would that be?

Yes, I agree of course we should be glad this is the one MITM site to go to, at any rate that is not defunct or in disarray. Even though I've been able to retrieve a lot, it just saddens to see how many pictures, videos and promotions will probably be gone forever, also because the web archive generally restricts itself to text and can't deal with database content!

Even though our site's been more active at times and we can complain about omissions, we should count our blessings, which is a good thing to keep in mind!

Last edited: