Do you take in interest in your countries politics?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Yeah, it was true. Alfista pretty much explained it. The French try to do something serious, and Bush renames toast and fries. Europe is the only thing America can rely on when it comnes to friends, you never really see us getting close to Brazil or anything, We can't go out and start insulting our friends. The next US President will have a hell of a time becoming like it was before 2003... The only people who "hated" the French after that incident was the White House, and the Media, more-or-less. From what I hear, the EU isn't too happy with the US, so we better start trying to become more friendly, in my opinion. Or we could go the way of Gen. Washington, because he "warned of entangling alliances" in Europe back in the 1790's. :D

One of my personal favorite Bush quotes: "Now, hispanically speaking..."

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I forget exactly where, I read it in a book. It was a few years ago about immigration, which is a very hot topic in today's news... :D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
George Bush is an idiot. Plain and simple. Im kinda embarrassed he is our president. In my opinion, he's the worst one in 35 years, ever since good ol' Nixon.
Let's hope either John McCain:)D ) OR Al Gore win the 2008 election.;)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You bash Nixon and you bash Bush....and then you endorse McCain!? What in the world political party are you a member of? :D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Well, it may sound weird, but I don't support a certain party. I vote for the guy who I believe will be a great leader and will do good for America, wether he be Republican or Democratic or whatever.:)
Oh, and don't say "Bush basher" because that sounds like you drink beer constantly! Remember, there is a Busch brand beer.:D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I didn't say Bush basher; I said bash Bush. :D Didn't you just turn 18? Have you actually voted in anything yet?

And I thought everybody in the South was conservative?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
yardgames said:
I didn't say Bush basher; I said bash Bush. :D Didn't you just turn 18? Have you actually voted in anything yet?

And I thought everybody in the South was conservative?

A little sterotypical, are we? :D I'm like Tony--I don't really belong to any politcal party--I vote for whoever I think will do the best job (which was not Bush, btw.) Honestly, I hope Hillary Clinton runs in the next election. I'd vote for her. She did a pretty good job running the country last time. :D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
@Yardgames-Unfortunatley, no I have not voted in anything YET. When I said vote, I meant I personally vote for whoever I think would make the best leader.

Just having a quick peruse over some of the past posts and I thought I'd just respond. My knowledge of US politics, as I have previously mentioned is very patchy, with reference to the comment about EU being US only real allies, I think it's true to say that pretty much every Brit dislikes Bush and thinks of him as an idiot and somewhat worrying that he was able to gain power twice!

As far as I'm aware there are two parties, Democrat and Republican, however, I believe people are able to stand as independants. I think it a great impedement on the political process to have a dual party system, there are far more advantages to the multi party, or plurality system in place in other countries, i.e. UK, in which anyone with £500 and I beleive over 1000 supporters can form their own party. I draw your attention to the Monster Raving Looney Party (their deputy leader is a cat called CatManDoo), suffice to say they are yet to gain a seat in parliament. By having more than one party, we are given a vast choice and able to find a party with a manifesto that we agree with, although the majority all share liberal principles (the fundamental of the majority of politics in my opinion).

However, this can also have its disadvantages, for example the ridiculous, idiotic, fascist (in the ideological sense) party that is the BNP. I won't go into that, I'm sure Ive bored you enough already.
In summary, Britain hates Bush, plurality system better, BNP group of twits (restrain self)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, I feel obliged to defend the US system. The dual-party system really is by accident. Anyone is certainly welcome to form a third party, but the best that a third party has ever done would be the Populists just before the turn of the last century. But it hasn't been unknown to happen, and we haven't had the same two parties for our entire history. In fact, the Founding Fathers didn't intend for a party system to create at all. George Washington was, in fact, very worried of a dual-party system and warned of its dangers in his exit speech, which is read to Congress every year. However, factions necessarily formed in the development of the government during the Adams and Jeffersonian eras and people came together in alliances between the new Federalist ideas for doing things and the more traditional Republican view (which by the way is not related at all to today's Republican party.)

But what really has happened with this accidental system is that we've successfully created another balance, which is what our government is based upon: checks and balances. Rather than a simple plurality, a majority is needed to control any given lawmaking body and when different branches are controlled by different parties, as is often the case, it is harder to accomplish things; yet the quality legislation can still be passed easily.

I agree the codified constitution in place and the separation of powers is certainly far better than the mess of contradictory legislature in Britain- for example, Lord Falconer is a member of the executive, judicary and legislature (absured) but it does seem that despite this, far too much power lies in the hands of one indivdual in the US, although there is an argument that Britains Prime Ministers have gradually become more presidential in their approach, which is slightly worrying.

I wasn't aware of an ability to set up a party with ease in US, so thanks for enlightening yardgames, I suppose when I look at the US, I often forget how short your history truely is, I think I'm gonna start reading about it- I am very niave when it comes to US history and politics.

You see, one of the joys of mitm, it sparks political interest (tenuously)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Now that it dawns on me, Im getting pissed that here in the US it seems all we have to choose is democrat or republican. Like stated earlier, George Washington was worried about that happening, and Im getting worried too. I think we here in the US should get up and do something about it.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Then vote for me when I run under the "Unification" Party (not real, but there probably is one somewhere). :D Seriously, I will run for president one day.

What would be the fundamental basis of your campaign and intent when you're in office?

Suggestion- Enforced release of mitm dvd's worldwide

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
The basic platform would to get America to get back into good graces with the world, to take care of America before others, to make sure legal citizens get what they need before illeagal ones do. I'd make America the role model of the world again. To inspire others to fight for the right cause, not because we can win because we are America, and can do what we want because of our past. A mix of the Colonial patriotism and nationalism, with a lot of (Ronald) Reaganistic thinking to make sure the American way is seen as something to emulate, not despise and hate. I'd bring close ties to Europe in particular, and try to make the South American countries who hate us not hate us anymore. I'd pick up where Reagan left off, and make sure that American intrests do not wither and die as the have for the last 15 years. The industial power which was the USA no longer exists, but it should. We rely on foreign trade too much, and China, weather we like it or not, may start the next Cold War. Communism of that sort cannot be tolerated, nor any thorn on Freedom's side. Bringing Justice to the Unjust, and Truth to the Liars who wish to see a once-great nation fall apart under it's own weight. Wars of the future will not be over little patches of land, they will take place in somewhere no one thought they would ever before, in space. As much as it sounds far-fetched, it's true.Why should we work with 30 year old computers and 20 year old machines? Our space fleet is crippled, our Armed forces out-dated. A complete re-organization of the Military is needed, and a completly new way of thinking should rise supreme over squabbles over political parties. We don't need a country, we need a Nation. A Great Nation, with Great Allies such as Germany, UK, Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and among man others.

That is my "New Deal" for a New America, and a New World.

And who could forget the complete release of all the MITM DVD's?

You realise you are almost quoting Hitler! Ultra-nationalism, self-sufficiency, fight against communism, colionalism, one great nation, one great army. I have to say the parallels are somewhat disturbing