Crossing over type cameo...

admin

Retired Administrator
I noticed that a couple of shows had done this recently. They are totally different shows but there is a cameo cross over between "Friends" and "Mad about You".

In short (yardgames won't let me use basically anymore!) in Friends there is a cafe where Ursula works, this cafe is used in "Mad about you" where the "Mad about you" guys hang out. Not only that but Ursula is in it, and Phoebe has also appeared in an episode. Also the Mad About You cast have appeared in an episode of Friends in the cafe.

Anyway back to my point. Would it be possible for MITM to perhaps to a cameo cross over with another show. Perhaps have them make friends with the Henesseys from 8 Simple Rules (although the show is cancelled).

Any ideas. What show would be the best for MITM to have a cameo in, and which show would be best to be cameod in MITM.... the shows can be cancelled or ended :D

MITM18

Nah, mostly for the reason that Malcolm In The Middle isnt like any ordinary television show.

It is very different in how it caries out an episode.

Not only by how its filmed, with only one camera. But the locations are real locations that 3 camera shows never do since they are limited by they need a a live audience.

No, would never work nor would it make any sense to do that.

Friends had a long long life, and the reason they did that was simply since it is an easy way for the writers to get out of writers block.

While Malcolm, hasnt been and wont be aslong as Friends, they have plenty of ideas to show off

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I think the reason that they had the crossover with Friends and Mad About You was that Lisa Kudrow already had her small part on Mad About You before she got the part of Phoebe on Friends. Since the shows were on the same network, I think they probably just thought it would be fun to give Phoebe a twin sister named Ursula that is on another show. I wouldn't blame it on lack of ideas.

I can't really think of a show that would work with Malcolm for a crossover. Mad About You and Friends made sense; exact same formats, both is New York, similar sense of humor. For Malcolm you would have to find another single camera comedy that never specifies where they live. I can't really think of anything like that at the moment.

admin

Retired Administrator
Your contstraining yourself too much to the "real world". This question is only a hyperthitical one. Just imagine that there will be no laughter track. :D

Personally though, have to agree with you, it is difficult to find a show to intergrate MITM with at current. I am struggling myself.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
The thing is, the characters on Malcolm are crazy, and it would be awkward to have them cross over to a show where the characters are more grounded in reality. So here's my ideal cross over: Scrubs. I love Scrubs. I think it is a great show. And we know that the boys of Malcolm end up in the hospital a lot, so it could work out well. Yeah. I think that's a pretty good one. I rule.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Scrubs and Malcolm? Makes sense. But maybe a little too late. Reese more-or-less grew out of the bullying stage, now it's a hobby, not a life. :D Maybe Reese can have the Buseys think they can fly. Take them to a three-story building *wink, wink*, and there you go, about 15 trips to the hospital. That should have been a season 2 ep.

MITM18

Actually its not a good idea at all:

NBC owns Scrubs

FOX owns Malcolm in The Middle

They will not help each other. They are not going to do this since its not needed. Not going to happen

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Think outside the box, MITM18. David said we shouldn't be constrained by that sort of thing, we're trying to be creative here. I would love to see any other ideas people have, whether it's a show on NBC, ABC, HBO, or any other channel. Personally, I can't think of anything, but I agree that Scrubs may have worked out well, had they done it much earlier.

Emrysgirl

@MITM18 There is no chance of any of this happening(unless you have some inside info;):D), we're just BSing.

w/ SRCUBS:
It's "kinda" already happened. Laverne from SCRUBS was the nurse in Homealone 4. And she had exactly the same role. But yeah, it would have been fun if they had elaborated. Do we know what city Sacred Heart is in?

Another connection b/w SCRUBS and MitM (I've said this in another thread, but can't remember which one): On The Practice, Jane Kaczmarek and the guy who plays Perry Cox were arguing against each other (lawyers on opposing sides).

How about Arrested Development? Myself, I don't know. I haven't seen AD enough to know. I'm just throwing out the idea.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I was just watching the extras on the Scrubs DVD and the show is filmed in an actual abandoned hospital in North Hollywood. They said that the medical system in this country is so messed up that they had several abandoned hospitals to choose from. They never say where the hospital is in the show, though.

I thought about Arrested Development too. It might work, but I'm not sure if the characters and humor of the shows would mesh well. It's hard to explain why, though. Just something about it.

Wemboy

Well first of all, there is no way the Wilkersens would hang out with the Hennesseys, they are far to up tight and boring to be mates with the Wilkersens, hopefully Reese would beat up that idiot Rory, although Dewey could probably do it just as well!

As for Scrubs well a can imagine JD trying to spout one of those cutesy "messages" that they always have at the end, and that in my opinion ruin the show, and being interrupted by reese or something. Or just having malcolm being all smart and completely disagreeing with what he was trying to say, which would be pretty funny.

Can't really get to the point of this thread which is to find a show that could realistically be tied in to MITM, still think that the family in AD, whatever they're called, would be a bit too snooty to be seen with the Wilkersens. Sorry, can't think of much, except to say that there was another crossover in Mad About You, with Seinfeld, so it must have been a bit of a theme. Kramer's apartment was the one that the bloke on M.A.Y used to live in or soemthing, and he went to see him, something like that. The joys of Freeview eh David:D !

MITM18

Mostly because of the ratings and that the main character, [size=-1]John Ritter [/size]died.[size=-1][/size]

APK

I think a MITM crossover with AD would be pretty funny...I haven't seen a great deal of it, but from what I've seen, I think some members of the families would clash beautifully...I can just imagine Lucille Bluth and Lois having it out...and George Michael and Buster being a trifle "scared" of the boys.

I'm going out of the loop here, but I think a MITM crossover with Fawlty Towers would be funny. I know Fawlty Towers hasn't aired (except in reruns) since 1979, but as admin (or David, as I now know) said, we don't need to think realistically. I can just imagine Malcolm, Reese, Dewey and Francis raising hell at the hotel and finally sending Basil over the edge. I know it'd be impossible, but I think it would be amusing. Can anyone else see this, or is it just me?

Emrysgirl

@Doc Brown

No! The humor is completely different. I don't know how, but it is. Plus, doesn't FT have a laugh track? And MitM is too modern for it.

Besides, while I am a big MitM fan (of course, why else would I be here), Fawlty Towers is a whole other level. It would make MitM look inane.

Wemboy

I actually think that would work, i was trying to think of a British show that MITM could tie in with but couldn't think of anything. I reckon that the characters of Basil Fawlty and Hal are both slightly "unhinged" in similar ways, I'd love to see them together. Not sure how the rest of the Wilkersens would fit in to the show, but maybe Hal could just have a massive argument with the others and then take himself off to England for a week!

MITM-Fan

IMO a crossover between MITM, Unhappily Ever After and/or the Bundys ("Married with children") would be great. Just imagine the Wilkersons and the Bundys, in many things they're just like a lot. :D

:cool:

admin

Retired Administrator
That is an interesting idea, especially with Justin Berfield playing both Reese and the other guy!