Inexplainable Change?

zachman93

I don't know about any of you folks, but to me, about halfway through Season 6 I noticed a HUGE improvement in the quality of episodes. It could have just been my mood at the time, but from around Reese's Apartment to Malcolm's Car, I don't think I can say that a single episode got more than a slight grin from me in terms of quality of story/comedy. I literally said to myself, "Wow. MitM is awesome again!" upon watching Dewey's Opera or Living Will. Was there some major switch of writers or execs that occured around the production of these episodes? Normally I would attribute this to myself, but I was literally getting bored with MitM that was NEW to me until I got halfway through S6.

Richiepiep

Administrator
I don't know about any of you folks, but to me, about halfway through Season 6 I noticed a HUGE improvement in the quality of episodes. It could have just been my mood at the time, but from around Reese's Apartment to Malcolm's Car, I don't think I can say that a single episode got more than a slight grin from me in terms of quality of story/comedy. I literally said to myself, "Wow. MitM is awesome again!" upon watching Dewey's Opera or Living Will. Was there some major switch of writers or execs that occured around the production of these episodes? Normally I would attribute this to myself, but I was literally getting bored with MitM that was NEW to me until I got halfway through S6.

I can only say I don't feel that way. I thought that Reese Comes Home, Pearl Harbor, Hal's Christmas Gift, Hal Sleepwalks and Lois Battles Jamie were very well made and funny. Pearl Harbor had the great 'set pieces' of the gay dance and the miniature attack, Christmas Gift had the impromptu ladies' stock car race, and Reese Comes Home the very funny return trip and balloon diaper reconciliation. I thought Billboard had clever, offbeat writing.

If you look at the credits, each S6 episode was done by different directors and writers from the same team throughout. Of course Linwood Boomer is always in charge and with director/producer Todd Holland responsible for the look and feel of the series. I didn't know that until I read the interview, but Linwood is also very much involved in script rewrites and editing of all episodes.

Rich

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
By the way, a very warm welcome to you Zachman and thanks for picking up old, half-forgotten threads and adding your thoughts!

Rich

MITM_Fan

Season 6/7 were the most weak seasons, which I didn't like, how do I explain hum.. I didn't feel like they were made so good as the earlier seasons.

Seasons 1 to 4/5 were the best.

PBUNDY

@MITM_Fan

That's interesting that you though season 6 & 7 were the weakest. I personally felt that season 5 was the weakest and then they progressively got better. For me though, season 2 was definitely the best! :)