Favourite School Subjects

admin

Retired Administrator
What are or were your favourite subjects at school? Are you a maths wizz or a sports man?

Personally I have 2 favourite subjects, probably both of which most of you hate!

Chemistry and Biology

Emrysgirl

Math or History...can't decide. I have more fun going into math suff on my own, and I'm good at it. History: I like the class but it's more of a hobby than a career interest or anything serious.

I don't mind Bio. I actually love the evolution/genetics/succession etc. part of it. The part I don't like as much (but don' hate either) is the more chem related stuff i.e. operons, photosystems etc. (although Krebs cycle is pretty cool:D).

And, needless to say, I HATE CHEMISTRY. The class is fun, but the subject sucks. It makes sense, but is not logical i.e. once you know the answer, you can works backwards but you can't figure it out; you have to know the rules. Physics is sooooo much better. It's LOGICAL!!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Math, History, and Science. History is like a thing that just came to me wheather I liked it or hot, so I liked it. Science and Math is just that I Like it, and need it if I want to become an aeronautical engineer (Design ships/airplanes, maybe spaceplanes:D).

APK

Now that I'm doing A-levels, the only subjects I'm doing are English Literature, History and Drama. (I'd have preferred to have taken English Language, but it clashed with Drama, so I had to take Lit.) English and History have always been two of my favourite subjects; I started liking Drama in Year Eight, and I really liked Religious Education when I did it, as well.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I like English, biology and physical education. English is just cool becaus e i don'T have to learn anything, because we don't get any vocabulary or something to learn, we just get texts, read and discuss them... (and we actually don'T get any homework :D ). Then i'm pretty interested in biology, but actually the only reason why i like the subject is that our teacher gives you good grades for nothing. even if don't know anything you'll get a D. That means that if you just learn a tiny little bit, you'll get a B...

yardgames

Retired Administrator
So you're a lazy one, huh? Get something for nothing? Everything comes at a price, you know....you'll soon wish that maybe you had learned something more.

It's interesting to learn about work ethics of the people here. For example, J. works his butt off and travels all over the country playing his trumpet, and Dabney is happy with physical education and getting good grades for doing nothing.

arach

Thinking back to it, my favourites were English, Biology and Physics. And now that I understand it, I even like Chemistry. I studied the anorganic Chemistry for about 3 Months, and now, knowing about the basics, it's easy.

Physics was one of my favourites in the later years, because we learned all about the relativity theory, the quantum mechanics and that kind of stuff. Light speed, wormholes and time travel fascinated me since I was a child (I was a Star Trek fan when I was a kid :D), so I am pretty sad that there is no subject like Astronomy in school.

I liked English because my English teacher really knew how to teach us. It was hard, but fair. And I think my English isn't that bad now. And I like the language itself. Sometimes more than German.

I didn't mind Maths, I hated History and Geography (I never payed attention to what teachers said in that subject - I have informed myself about Geography after school when I had time, because now I know that it's very important. Even the political actions, and that it's important to know what's going on all around the earth, but I still hate history, the only interesting things were vikings (heavy metal, eat meat, kill strangers, hell yeah :D)).

So the only big gap in my knowledge is history.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
We just got Astronomy as a new class next year at my school--pretty popular choice, really.

Good to see you back, arach. Laptop all fixed now? Monitor normal, and keyboard working? Or did you finally just buy a new one?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
yardgames said:
It's interesting to learn about work ethics of the people here. For example, J. works his butt off and travels all over the country playing his trumpet.
Well, not quite yet. Soon. Next(the 2006-2007 school year) year we go to California. But every year we go to Pennslvannia, maybe delaware, sometimes somewhere else, but this year, we defitnetly go to pennslvannia.

I guaduated, so today we're just signing yearbooks at school.

Dabney said:
choose between Physics and Astronomy...
Wow must be a hard choice, for me at least. My dad says I'd love physics. He's almost always right.:D And I have been looking to the stars a lot, so I would go crazy if I were you dabney.:D

Ryebeach

Thinking back to my school days, I enjoyed English, Social Studies and I was fairly good at Math. I especially enjoyed creative writing courses as I am an amateur fiction writer.

ekimanisirf

My favourite subject in school would have to be Media Arts. I credit that course (and the stunningly attractive teacher who taught it) for giving me a direction for career choice in my life. It introduced me to graphic design, which I currently do as a part time job.

Ryebeach

MITM18 said:
Have anything published on the internet at any of those fan fiction websites?
Not at this point. Currently I have 4 novels in various stages of completion. One coming of age story, one comedy-mystery story, a story I began writing when I was 12 so as you can imagine, it's not too professional but it's a funny story which I hold dear to my heart as it was the first story I worked on. The fouth story is in the conceptual stage. Basically, it's a psychological thriller which I have outlined on paper but haven't really started it yet.

Jimmy Junior

When I was at school my favourite subjects were electronics (not a GCSE subject but it was a good laugh), physics, and music which would probably be quite an unusual choice.