MITM - S07E09 - Question
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Thread: MITM - S07E09 - Question

Default MITM - S07E09 - Question

I'm confused did "Mr. Herkabe" at 5.32, he said "what is dumber then Reese" or "what is dumber than Reese"?

I've hear'd it a couple of time and they all seem to sound "then" instead of "than".

Did they commit a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by MITM_Fan View Post
    I'm confused did "Mr. Herkabe" at 5.32, he said "what is dumber then Reese" or "what is dumber than Reese"?

I've hear'd it a couple of time and they all seem to sound "then" instead of "than".

Did they commit a typo?
    Well, for a typo we would have to have the script, but we don't have that, so...

I can only say that in American English, the difference between 'then' and 'than' is less marked than in British English. 'Than' is mainly a bit longer than 'then', with a sort of glide, while in British English, 'than' is more open. When it's not stressed, which happens most of the time, 'than' is pronounced like 'thuhn'.

In short, there's less difference in US English, and it'd be hard to make out if actor Chris Eigeman erred by saying 'then'.

Rich