What songs make you cry?

Emily1714

I'm just wondering if there are any songs that make any of you cry and if so which ones? Here is my list:

MICHAEL JACKSON SONGS:
1. Earth Song
2. Childhood
3. Stranger In Moscow
4. Man In The Mirror
5. Ben
6. Heal The World
7. I'll Be There
8. Got To Be There
9. Gone Too Soon
10. Music and Me
11. Heaven Can Wait

OTHER:
1. Over The Rainbow(1955 version) by Judy Garland
2. Imagine by John Lennon
3. Happy Christmas(War Is Over) by John Lennon

Here is the 1955 version of Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXJ2Q0F8H80

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
I'm sorry to say Michael Jackson doesn't normally make me cry, though when I now hear the ballads he recorded as a boy and teen (which would include Ben, I'll Be There, One Day In Your Life) it does fill me with a tremendous sense of loss. Strangely enough, when I first heard those songs on the radio as a kid I assumed it was a grown woman singing those!

Yes, Judy Garland is a great singer, no doubt about it. Glad you like her. And I'm a Beatles fan!

As for me, Eva Cassidy never fails to make me cry (I actually prefer her very different version of Over The Rainbow), Nick Drake too does have that effect on me, and all the ballads by Jeff Buckley, and some of his father Tim. Also the voice of Donny Hathaway, Til I Die by The Beach Boys and Jenny Wren by Paul McCartney.

Who Knows Where The Time Goes by Fairport Convention (sung by Sandy Denny) is another one, and some ballads by the Indigo Girls (Power Of Two, Free In You). About 15 years ago, I became a total Indigo Girls nut, and I still feel a deep affection for them.

This to me is the perfect love relationship song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsrqLAuUdis

You see, apparently a lot of personal tragedy for most of these artists helps! It's hard to separate it from the song!

Rich :)

P.S. Some more songs came up yesterday: Forever Young as sung by Joan Baez, and The Circle Game and Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell. Apparently, it's women with strong, clear voices with limited backing (no full orchestras or rock rhythms, I like things intimate) that have that effect on me most of the time.

Last edited:

damien

dont make me cry, but i listen to those songs if i am sad or bad-tempered

Tom Petty - You dont know how it feels
Linkin Park - Breaking my Habits (And many other songs of LP)
Simple Plan - Shut Up; Welcome to my life
Eminem - Hailie`s Song; The way I am
Sam Cooke - A Change is gonna come
Bufallo Springfield - For what its worth
Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil (Does not really fit the topic, but its one of my all time favorites)

I either like some songs of Micheal Jackson, but especially "Man in the Mirror"

Some stuff from europe for you :p

Xavier Naidoo - Dieser Weg; Was wir alleine nicht schaffen; Alles kann besser werden (German)

Sexion D´assaut - Desole; Ils appellent ca (French)

Neffa - Cambiera (Italian -sounds happy but its about war)