Favourite Movie 05/06

admin

Retired Administrator
What's been your favourite movie so far this year...

Well I have to be honest I say I have actually only been to the cinema once or twice this year, and I would have to say that I really enjoyed seeing "Hitch" starring Will Smith.

What other films have you seen this year, and which was your most enjoyable! :D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Re: Favourite Movie 2005

The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I personally never saw it, but my cousion told me all about it.

But one that I actually saw, would be National Treasure. The quest for a tresure set by the founding fathers of America.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I have to agree with J completely; I'm in the same boat as him.

David, do you get American films in Britain as soon as they're released here, or what's the delay like for getting them over there?

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator

By now the best film in 2005 has been, of course, Star Wars III. But i also really liked Ring 2 and SAW...!

arach

J. said:
The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I personally never saw it, but my cousion told me all about it.
Watch it and then tell me what was funny about it... sadly, the movie was really bad.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I've heard great things about the Hitchhiker's Guide.... I'm not a fan of Star Wars, so that movie didn't excite me, but what did amuse me was all the media coverage Bittorrent received over that thing. I actually did a report on it for my school's new program too. Hearing students' thoughts on the whole illegal process was quite interesting.

Emrysgirl

All the movies I've watched this year have been really cool! I highly recommend all of these.

Ring 2 - the only one I watched in a theater. It wasn't as good as the first one, and made even less sense (there were quite a few flaws in the first one), but still really fun.

Motorcycle Diaries - It's about Che Guvera. I'm not gonna tell you the plot b/c it sounds boring but is really really cool. It's in Spanish though so you'll have to read subtitles (like me).

Maria Full of Grace - It's about a drug mule. Serious but not boring. My history teacher was like 'if you're thinking about doing drugs, watch this movie,; it will change your mind' ( I wasn't thinking about it, so I can't vouch for that:)). Again, Spanish.

My Sassy Girl - crude, sappy, but absolutely hilariously. Complete randomness (like MitM). It's one of only two romantic comedies I can stand (the other one's About a Boy). Again, subtitles (but this time for Korean)

Emrysgirl

I wish I could recommend Hitch, Hotel Rwanda and Downfall, but thanks to school I haven't seen them.

H2G2 - I've heard bad things about it. I'm a big DNA fan and don't want to see it ruined. I have very low hopes considering that he died before most of it was done and had no say:(.

Ok, I just looked them up and MD and MFoG are from 04 and MSG is from 01. I lied, unintentionally. But I still recommend them!

woo, 90th post!

admin

Retired Administrator

yardgames said:
I have to agree with J completely; I'm in the same boat as him.

David, do you get American films in Britain as soon as they're released here, or what's the delay like for getting them over there?
It very much depends on the film. Some films, like the new Star Wars are simulcast in about 30 different countries at the same time.

British movies we usually get around the same time. Usually there is about 1 or 2 months I would say between you watching it and us watching it - but as I said, the big name films are usually simulcast so we get them at exactly the same time - infact because of the timezones we can even end up seeing them before you! :D

arach

I also heard great things about The Hitchhiker's Guide - but about the book. I read it twice and it's still one of my favourites. But I didn't like the movie. Wasn't funny. Just watch it and tell me your opinion about it. I don't like to argue with people about a movie that they haven't even seen... ;)

I saw Hitch, was good.

I saw Hotel Rwanda, was impressive. It's not a movie for everyone I guess, because it's very brutal and depressive and sad and dramatic (that's just what genocide always is), but it makes you think about stuff.

Star Wars III was the best one of the new trilogy and a cool movie itself, but still not a "blockbuster" in my opinion.

This year, there weren't many good movies until now.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator

i totally have to agree with arach (besides the fact that i didn`t read the books). But i know a lot of people who read it and loved it. But the film wasn`t cool. i didn't laugh very often and it was actually only amateurish...:(

Gouki

The only movie I've gone to see at the movies this year is Star Wars. So, I guess that wins by default.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

@ arach-is the movie of Hichhiker's guide to the Galaxy like the book, because I'm reading once I finnish up another book.

Emrysgirl

@MITM18 My mom hates Russell Crowe and it's not the kind of movie I'd watch on mu own or with friends, so I'll take your word.

@J. No, it's not exactly like the book (I haven't seen it but have heard a lot from my friends). The basic plot is the same, but they've dropped a lot of important parts and added new bits.

Star Wars - not a big fan of SERIOUS space movies in general (sorry J.:D). I've only seen the first one (#4 right?) and didn't like it at all. I gave up on the series after that.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Personally, Star Wars is not my favorite, so don't worry. I'm a bit more a Star Trek/anything where aliens invade the earth type of person.

Wemboy

I've watched all the other Star Wars films but have no desire to see this one as the past two have been so disappointing. I think the last film i saw at the cinema was probably Team America: World Police, which was very funny, although it could have been last year. I've watched a few good films on dvd though, like Garden State (directed by and starring Zach Braff from Scrubs), Oldboy, Infernal Affairs and Sideways (starring Paul Giamatti from Big Fat Liar (good film) and American Splendor (better film)). I should also mention The Lavender Hill Mob, which i watched on tv last week. It's a really old film from a group of comedies shot at the Ealing Studios in London, and it stars Alec Guinness. It's absolutely hilarious, i'd probably recommend it above all the others to be honest.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom

Completely off topic:

I watched "But I'm a Cheerleader" the other night. Not a recent movie at all. But it was great and the director, Jamie Babbit, directed a few episodes of Malcolm. Not very good episodes, but still...

Back to the topic: I feel like I haven't seen any of this years movies. Everything I think of must have been from last year. I'm seeing Batman Begins tomorrow, so hopefully I will have good things to say about that.

I thought Hitchhikers could have been better. Visually, it was amazing. Just awesome visual effects. I loved that they used Jim Henson puppets for the aliens. I'm sick of CGI aliens and animals. They never look as real as puppets. That's one of the problems with the new Star Wars.