Good Parent - Bad Parent (AKA Parental Poles)
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Parent - Bad Parent (AKA Parental Poles)

Default Good Parent - Bad Parent (AKA Parental Poles)

There seems to be this growing trend in sitcoms that there is a "good parent" in this case Hal and a "bad parent" in this case Lois.

Is this what really happens in real life, is there one parent he is all soft and gifts the children all the time regardless, and another who usually gets the task of giving out the punishments.

Does this happen in your house?

It certainly can be seen in mine, only in reverse to the Wilkersons.

Default Re: Good Parent - Bad Parent

I disagree. I don't believe that Hal is the "good parent" and that Lois is the "bad parent." I see where you're coming from, but it's a very stereotypical view, and I honestly don't think it can be applied to MITM. In the boys' views, Lois is "bad" because she is always punishing them and saying no to everything they ask for, but Hal isn't necessarily "good." Contrary to your suggestion, Hal doesn't use talk to the boys or nurture them in any way special. In fact, he usually has very little relation to the boys at all. I don't think this makes him good or bad, it just is.

Nobody knows the name of the city where I live; it is in California but it isnt L.A.

I dont think Lois is bad; she is the mother of terrible children, thats all.
    Any mother would be exasperated. And remember she is the only woman in the family, she has no friends, she has a terrible Mom and economic problems, and a jerk as boss, and... No, I dont think Lois is bad at all.

And Hal... well, Hal is not as good as people thinks. He has done terrible things.
    So, I disagree with the Good parent-Bad parent thing.
    "I am Malcolm"

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    and a jerk as boss,
    Speaking of which, does she even have a boss anymore? There was Mr. Pinter in season one, but he quit. Craig outranks her now. Is he the boss?
    But back to the original question. I know many families with two seemingly good parents and a couple with two seemingly bad parents. But if you try hard enough, you can probably figure out which one is the better one in all cases. It's just not always obvious.

In my household, one parent might be more lenient about something than another, but the other parent is more lenient on another matter than the other parent is.

My mother, for example, is the most likely one to buy things for us...my father is more likely to be easy on something else. So it balances out.

I don't think Hal and Lois are fully "good" parents or fully "bad" ones, myself. I don't think there's any such things as perfect parents, as everyone has their flaws. I think they do what they think is best for their kids, though. Sometimes, what they think is best, might actually not be, but I think they're well-intentioned.

Andy Gibb aged 12 (1970) and River Phoenix

i don't think that it's a matter of good parent-bad parent but rather, strict parent-slave parent (the one that doesn't really have a mind of their own, and usually just agrees with strict parent) that's what it's like in my house anyway
    "Hold fast to dreams
    for if dreams die,
    life is a broken-winged bird
    that cannot fly"
    -Dreams, Langston Hughes

"The first step in making your dreams come true.... is waking up.."

Dream On everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown
    In my household, one parent might be more lenient about something than another, but the other parent is more lenient on another matter than the other parent is.
    That's like mine, only it's not predictable i.e. one day my dad shouts at me about something and my mom defends me and the next day it's the opposite, only the reason is still the same. It's like when one is shouting at me the other realizes that it's a bit too much. "something" is almost always grades; I'm a good kid, I don't get in trouble.

I don't think it's that simple with Lois and Hal either. Lois is the disliked parent and Hal is the liked parent. Lois is the better parent; Hal's a bit irresponsible. But, Hal has the ability to be a good parent, just not all the time.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

Why is it that the irresponsible parent is the liked parent? Why is the "good" parent the unliked parent? Why is it that kids always want to rebel? What good does it do them?

I think Hal is a much better parent then you guys are making him out to be, just for the record.

Express your opinions--why do you think that??

It's like saying, "Oh, and just for the record, I recycle because I do."