'The Middle' a 'Malcolm in the Middle' Rip Off?

MITM_Fan

I just watched the sample from the 2nd episode, and it has alot of common with MITM, the house, the customs, the kids, well it was all featured in the 1st but this shows what it needs to.

"oh yeah you were a mistake but we're happy that you're here now.." and "you're not fat"

they're copied alot but it made me laugh finally, a second chance is always good to give.

AlexTheMartian

I only saw the 2nd episode, maybe I should go back and watch the 1st....

ok I am watching it now

By the way, Indiana is not the middle of the country, so I do not get why the show is called The Middle... I guess "The middle of nowhere"?

Last edited:

Gouki

I thought more people would be impressed that Malcolm in the Middle is held in such regard to be ripped off. Imitation, flattery and other cliches and all.

MalcolmFun

There is somewhat of a difference between borrowing good ideas from a predecessor and just trying to make a cheap a copy. Whatever ideas Malcolm borrowed from previous things, they were put together into something unique. This show doesn't have to be horrible to merit criticism that there is nothing much new or exciting about it nor is it as good as what they are trying to copy.

W

we_dye

Reading some of the negative comments about “The Middle” being a rip-off of MITM, I agreed when I first saw the new show. However, it really is not the case.

Some of the creative geniuses that gave us MITM are now working on The Middle. A name that appears prominently on the opening credits of MITM and TM episodes is Alex Reid – he was a writer and producer of the best MITM episodes. He is now a co-executive producer on TM. It is therefore not surprising that TM has a similar feel to the early seasons of MITM.

It is not a rip-off if it is the same people creating both shows.

When MITM ended I kind of wondered what future projects the production and writing teams behind the show would work on next. It is surely a good thing that they are giving us another family based comedy with similar entertainment values so enjoyed in MITM.

On the contrary to this show failing – it must succeed. If anything fans of MITM should enjoy it. Since MITM ended in 2006, there has been a culture of bland shows based on public “talent” and drab celebrity status. These make me yawn. At least TM is filling a cultural void by giving us quality television which is actually funny and entertaining. Without TM, we would have nothing.

W

we_dye

Another point I have on TM may be rather controversial here, being a MITM fan site, but I actually think TM is better than MITM.

Yes, i really did say that.

TM is uniquely from the point of view of the mother instead of the children. Perhaps the show is aimed at adults, considering that those who enjoyed MITM as teenagers are now young adults themselves.

It also has added realism which was lacking in MITM such as the way in which the family have breakfast and evening meals. In MITM, they dined at the table every single morning and night with high quality, specially prepared food. C’mon, can we really believe that a busy family would eat like that every day.

In contrast, the mom on TM shoves a frozen pancake into the microwave for seconds – that is Brick’s breakfast on the first episode. Also, eating dinner as a family is sitting on a couch in front of the TV. Very realistic as I am sure this happens in many American homes.

The TM family also watch real TV shows such as Dancing with the Stars to give a sense of added comedy value. They have a surname and they live in a real state. Perhaps the creators got too much of an influx the first time round from fans asking Malcolm’s surname and location. It is as if they have ironed out all the holes that existed in MITM to give us something better.

As we get close to 2010, it is as if TM is a new show for a new decade. Instead of comparing TM with MITM, we should just enjoy the new show on it’s own merits: the cast and characters are very good, the plots are unique and there are genuine laugh out loud comedy moments.

Last edited:

Lparsons7981

Another point I have on TM may be rather controversial here, being a MITM fan site, but I actually think TM is better than MITM.

Yes, i really did say that.

TM is uniquely from the point of view of the mother instead of the children. Perhaps the show is aimed at adults, considering that those who enjoyed MITM as teenagers are now young adults themselves.

It also has added realism which was lacking in MITM such as the way in which the family have breakfast and evening meals. In MITM, they dined at the table every single morning and night with high quality, specially prepared food. C’mon, can we really believe that a busy family would eat like that every day.

In contrast, the mom on TM shoves a frozen pancake into the microwave for seconds – that is Brick’s breakfast on the first episode. Also, eating dinner as a family is sitting on a couch in front of the TV. Very realistic as I am sure this happens in many American homes.

The TM family also watch real TV shows such as Dancing with the Stars to give a sense of added comedy value. They have a surname and they live in a real state. Perhaps the creators got too much of an influx the first time round from fans asking Malcolm’s surname and location. It is as if they have ironed out all the holes that existed in MITM to give us something better.

As we get close to 2010, it is as if TM is a new show for a new decade. Instead of comparing TM with MITM, we should just enjoy the new show on it’s own merits: the cast and characters are very good, the plots are unique and there are genuine laugh out loud comedy moments.

That isn't necessarily unrealistic. In the pilot they fight over frozen waffles, and despite how busy some people are, they still make time and a point to eat dinner together, not everyone eats in front of the TV. Actually eating together is a sign of authoritative parenting, which is overall what was present in MITM.

And if we knew Malcom's surname, and state and city, how does that make a better show? I don't sit and watch it and say "Wow I sure wish I knew their last name, that would make it way funnier and more relate able."

And I'm sorry, I never found the janitor to be very funny. Not then, not now :)