Upload to any video site and not break laws through a loophole in the system!

Jaret

Okay, the reason MITM has been removed from so many sites is because of copyright laws. Well, while searching to get some of my videos on youtube undeleted (they keep them on just not viewable), I stumbled upon the ingenious "copyright act of 1976". This is the actual law:
"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

This means that you can upload anything and then if they try to delete the video, you can put that in their face! It saved my videos that infringed on music and can save Malcolm!

Richiepiep

Administrator
Hi Jaret,

Thanks for the research, it's true this could be a loophole, but it's actually a little more complicated than that. Did you actually get word from YT they would leave your videos alone? 'Putting something in their face' is actually quite hard. YT is notoriously difficult to contact, even when you're perfectly in your right.

YouTube also removes videos where users may contend that it was just fair use they made of a clip. Users have been suspended, just because they used a commercial clip for comic effect in a much longer video, because they used clips of a video game they reviewed, because of some copyrighted background music they used, because they were singing a copyrighted song etc. Yes, even Dutch YT singing star Esmee Denters (20 million viewers, I should know ;)) was thrown off for a while, because music lawyers realized she was covering a lot of songs, and that was like millions of radio plays without any royalties getting paid! It's all a matter how you interpret the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act).

It's very murky, and YT can remove videos relentlessly and indiscriminately, just depending on some automated crawler/upload filter or the threat of getting sued for millions by the big moguls, like Fox, Viacom, Warners etc.

Work your way through this thread, if you like ;):

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1979

There's another article:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090108/0046183326.shtml

You may get lucky, but don't count on it. YT officially only allows video and audio that is completely your own creation, however untenable and ridiculous this may sound. It's why I'm no longer on YT, because most of the clips I uploaded, favourited, shared with friends or commented on (mostly not our own work, I have to admit) would be gone after a while.

Best!

Rich

Last edited:

Jaret

I have had some of my videos suspended on youtube for copyrighted music, which were "deleted". In fact, you just have to go into the videos section of your account where the videos "deleted" have copyright things. You just click "Dispute" (or something similar), and then click on option 2 when you reach the dispute form. Then, copy their testament of good will. The videos should be viewable after, but I can't remember if you have to wait for the copyright to be resolved. I've done my research, and this should work. Worked on all of my stuff.

AlexTheMartian

you didn't make it, you don't post it. that is youtube's policy, in simple words, lol.

I don't understand why people get shocked. YouTube is basically online broadcasting, and you can't broadcast a television show without gaining rights to it. Simple as that.

If you want to watch malcolm in the middle, there is other ways :O

this is not my personal opinion, just that is how the law is. US laws that is, and YouTube servers are on US soil.

Richiepiep

Administrator
I have had some of my videos suspended on youtube for copyrighted music, which were "deleted". In fact, you just have to go into the videos section of your account where the videos "deleted" have copyright things. You just click "Dispute" (or something similar), and then click on option 2 when you reach the dispute form. Then, copy their testament of good will. The videos should be viewable after, but I can't remember if you have to wait for the copyright to be resolved. I've done my research, and this should work. Worked on all of my stuff.

I didn't know about the Dispute-button, I guess it was a feature introduced after I left, or I somehow failed to notice. Perhaps it's because I'm Dutch, and the dispute clause didn't apply here. I just know that filing complaints and such was made nearly impossible, because you got lost in a maze of links they kept changing and kept restricting. Terrible.

I generally agree with Alex on copyright issues, but fair use would include commenting critically on a newscast clip, using a brief clip for promotional purposes (rather than upload complete episodes or movies, which is definitely a violation) or doing some parody or tribute.

It's really odd that some artists or their companies ban live registration of songs of whatever quality, even live pictures, when they have hardly or no official videos out and this is really the only thing that can convince newbies of the quality of a band. It's also strange how it applies to artists, actors, movies that are not commercially available, so users have no other way of accessing and appreciating them. Despite that I don't bother, it's too hazy and vulnerable to put a lot of work into your channel content and audience when it could be gone any minute.

By the way, what is your YT channel? I suppose it isn't 'Jaret' (last sign in a year ago) ;)?

Rich

Last edited:

AlexTheMartian

I think the main reason you cant share full songs, or share full episodes of shows, is because they are afraid you are going to take it and then sell it. Not really a problem these days, but the problem now is if you share all of this stuff, the production company cant make the money by having people view it on TV or buy CD/DVDs.

Really every time a production company find something that causes them to loose money, they cut the cord. :(

I am not saying you should or shouldn't do anything, I am just trying to explain the production company's point of view.

The thing I get most annoyed with on YouTube is that Music Videos get removed, and worse the video is kept but the music is swapped with an unrelated song. However thankfully music companies are now releasing tons of videos on their own channels.