Calling all fans in the US and UK! 'Malcolm' must be released!

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

Richiepiep

Administrator
Well, I've written a note to iTunes feedback, telling them it's my favourite series, and it's extremely high on my wish list.

I guess that's all I can do for the moment!

Rich

MITM_Fan

Im in!

When a serie/movie comes to Blu-Ray it too comes to DVD, so this will be no exception if it get's released.

Hulu. Sucks for the main reason it doesn't work here in UK.

I will buy the seasons of MITM if they get released, but I'll stick to Blu-Ray because this is something I've always wanted to see all in HD.

Gotta wait and see.:wub:

Thanks

All right, thanks. It's support form fans like you that makes this stuff happen. If you have an idea of a type of media that you'd like to see Malcolm released on, just post it. :D Like maybe Malcolm would be put on UMB portable media disc for PSP etc.:D
PS If alot of fans email I-tunes saying they want 'MitM' uncut in HD. That would be a big help, because I-tunes will realize that people want Malcolm. And once I-tunes contacts 20th Century Fox about it, other companies will to and then possibly it could be released for the 10th Anniversary on Jan. 9, 2010 (the day it first premiered). :)

Thanks,

deweyinthemiddle

Last edited:
Turns out MitM was filmed in a resolution higher than 1080p, that means all seasons are in HD. Fox just has to rescan the film (which is costly :( ) But, that means that they could release it on Blu-ray in the future.

Richiepiep

Administrator
The 4:3 image (old-fashioned TV sets and old-fashioned movie screen) is cropped, 16:9 expands the view left and right.

Same scenes from Pilot, both screencaps:

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
By the way, I noticed that MITM was filmed with 35mm Panaflex cameras, but some scenes apparently use 16mm cameras (Arriflex). But that doesn't restrict the resolution, does it? I mean, the resolution would still depend on the granularity of the film stock, right?

Rich

Yes, it might effect it in a way that some scenes seem a bit lower quality. But, it's not anything where you could point out what scenes were filmed with which. Overall, the resolution does depend on the granularity, not so much on the cameras or the film. Example: Resolution is 97% Film Granularity, 2.5% type of film used, .5% camera. But, like I said it's not much a difference. The quality of the original film is good enough that you could project it on a movie theater screen and it would look great.

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Yes, it might effect it in a way that some scenes seem a bit lower quality. But, it's not anything where you could point out what scenes were filmed with which. Overall, the resolution does depend on the granularity, not so much on the cameras or the film. Example: Resolution is 97% Film Granularity, 2.5% type of film used, .5% camera. But, like I said it's not much a difference. The quality of the original film is good enough that you could project it on a movie theater screen and it would look great.

Thanks, 'Dewey'! ;) In fact we just found out that it is highly likely that all of MITM was filmed on Super 16mm. TedWilder alerted me to it and I did some Googling, for which see the original 'HD'-thread in this forum. All state that MITM was filmed on Super 16! Even the 'cinematic' sitcoms and dramas like Scrubs and Dawson's Creek got filmed that way, apparently. Panavision doesn't automatically mean 35mm.

Rich

live4mitm

The 4:3 image (old-fashioned TV sets and old-fashioned movie screen) is cropped, 16:9 expands the view left and right.

Same scenes from Pilot, both screencaps:

Hey, where did you find the SkyOne widescreen recordings of Season 1?
I can only find 4:3 DVD rips.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Hey, where did you find the SkyOne widescreen recordings of Season 1?
I can only find 4:3 DVD rips.

The widescreen images are from our own Gallery, Season 1, Pilot screen captures.

TJPeople posted those, so he's the one to ask!

Best,

Rich

MITM_Fan

The widescreen images are from our own Gallery, Season 1, Pilot screen captures.

TJPeople posted those, so he's the one to ask!

Best,

Rich

How can you call season 1 is in reality in 16:9?

The DVD is in 4:3 format.

I just don't believe your facts.

Richiepiep

Administrator
How can you call season 1 is in reality in 16:9?

The DVD is in 4:3 format.

I just don't believe your facts.

Well, ask tjpeople, because he posted those screencaps. Yes, the DVD is in 4:3 format, but there is an extra feature on Disk 3, 'Malcolm Vision', where Bryan Cranston narrates that Season one was in fact filmed in HD, and so in 16:9 format. They didn't want to take the step of using 16:9 as default format (for either TV or DVD viewing), because they reckoned most people would still be watching on standard TV screens and monitors.

See attached images. That's not to say that I know where and when it was aired in HD though.

Rich

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
As I've said in other threads..

The whole of MITM was shot in widescreen (16:9) on film.

The film is then scanned. Seasons 1-5 where scanned in widescreen in standard definition (SD).

However for airing on TV in 2000-2004 few channels where widescreen and few people had widescreen TVs. So they cropped it down to 4:3.

Its up to broadcasters if they want to air widescreen or 4:3. (Sky1 airs widescreen)

When they did the DVD they obviously decided to go with the 4:3. They could have done widescreen, but again, few people had widescreen TVs.

With seasons 6-7 they scanned the film in widescreen high definition (HD).

Therefore for us to see HD seasons 1-5 somebody at FOX would have to rescan all the film. Which is possible, but very expensive.

(the above is based on current knowledge)

Last edited: