Michael Jackson's favourite show was ... 'Malcolm'!

Richiepiep

Administrator
No, I haven't been struggling to get some Michael Jackson topic going, but among all the brouhaha I suddenly remembered a quote by Michael from a few years ago. So it's not even off-topic ;). I just found out it's a TV Guide interview from November 1, 2001.

At the time I thought, good grief, here we go again and I disliked it, because any favourable comment made by Michael on some cultural phenomenon featuring children is bound to be interpreted one way, taken out of context and bandied about. But now I think it's actually quite poignant.

In the interview, Michael is actually the first to point out on several occasions how he missed his childhood and how he could only relate to people much older and younger than him. You have every right to call this weird, but it's first and foremost infintely sad for all involved I reckon. I hope MITM gave him some real laughs and genuine moments of happiness and release in what was by then a beleaguered, more and more isolated existence. Despite the fact that Malcolm and his family always seemed on the brink of seriously injuring each other, and could have even killed themselves or others with their near-constant infighting and violent revenge, I think in Michael's perception it was a couple of kids running wild and free in ways he could only dream of.

The quotes. The full article is well worth reading.

Rich

TVG: Do you watch TV?
MJ: I love PBS, the Discovery Channel, The Simpsons. I love Sesame Street. I could watch it for hours. But my favorite show is Malcolm in the Middle. It reminds me so much of [my brothers and me] when we were little.
TVG: Which character do you relate to?
MJ: Malcolm. Mainly because he tries to fit into society, and he doesn't - like E.T. or Bambi, he can't adjust to other people's concepts. And I feel like that a lot of times. Once I'm offstage, I feel awkward, like this is not where I'm supposed to be.

TVG: Who else do you spend time with?
MJ: Elizabeth [Taylor], [Marlon] Brando, Gregory Peck, these are very close friends of mine. Either they're much older than me or much younger. I've never had real contact with a person my age level. I think this happened because all my life I played clubs, since I was 5 years old. I saw people drunk, fighting, and it was just disgusting. When people say to me today, "Hey, lets go to a club," I go, "No way." If I go, it's not a party for me - too many autographs and photographs.

He then mentions Liza Minelli, another close friend.

We come from the same planet. Like Elizabeth does.
TVG: What planet is that?
MJ: It's called Capricious Anomaly in the Sea of Space. [laughs]. Gee, I can't name it. Just beyond our solar system, I think. But this is true, and this is not to be taken lightly: People who grew up as child stars have the same thing in common. You're cute, they love you; you go through the awkward stage, they don't accept you anymore. Very few make the transition to adult star. And most of them become self-destructive. And it's very sad.

TVG: Why do you think you have such an affinity for children?
MJ: I'll tell you exactly where it comes from. Because I never had a childhood. When they're in pain, I feel their pain. And when they're in despair, I feel their despair. I have such concern about the plight and the state of our children today. If there was one day where kids could get with parents and bond, this would make such a difference. If I had that one day with my father, it would have made a difference in our relationship today - just the one day.

The full interview:

http://www.accessinterviews.com/interviews/detail/michael-jackson/15570

Last edited:

Wemboy

Just reading those qoutes from Jacko, there's such underlying sadness in almost everything he says. I've always tried to avoid the media circus that formed his life (and death) but I must admit that whenever I heard him talk I just felt sorry for him. The way he talks about wanting to spend time with his father, and how he struggles to fit in with people his age, it's just....sad, not a lot else you can say. And it seems like the ramifications of the way he grew up stayed with him for his whole life, and were the main reason he was so damaged.

If MITM gave him some moments of happiness then that's great, it's just a shame he couldn't have had more really. Thankfully it would seem that all three of the MITM boys have managed to survive the child star curse and, from afar at least, seem like pretty well rounded individuals.

RIP Jacko

Richiepiep

Administrator
Thanks for the very wise words, Wemboy! In this media circus, as you put it so well, it seemed we just had two opposing parties vilifying each other, one worshipping Michael the Saint, the other bashing Michael the Freak. I couldn't believe the frenzy on all those sites and in other media. Thank God most of that part is over how, and we will hopefully see more thoughtful approaches like yours. And like what I attempted to do.

Yes, child stars will always have this could hanging over them, the possibility of the curse that people perceive them as having reached the pinnacle of their career before they even realized what was going on, and before they were even in charge of their own destiny. I think what happened to Michael may also serve as a sad but cautionary example what to avoid when you're in the limelight so early.

Best,

Rich

MalcolmFun

Frankie has sure crossed paths with an amazing number of interesting people. I wonder if he ever went to the Neverland ranch?

Wemboy

Frankie has sure crossed paths with an amazing number of interesting people. I wonder if he ever went to the Neverland ranch?

Best not open that can of worms mate :p

Thanks Richie, yeh agree with what your saying about the two opposing views of Michael. Seems like a bit of a trend in society where we see people as either totally good or totally bad. When of course the reality is we all have our flaws, but most of us are just trying get along and be as good as we can be.

Kastor

Poor Michael, is so easy to misinterpret what be says or take it the wrong way. I really do think he had this genuine innocence that was the result of his screwed up childhood. I've tried to ignore what the media says so I could form my own opinion, but yeah, that can be difficult. I can't really feel anything but pity for him :< Seems like quite a few celebrities are Malcolm fans. I think Graham Coxon from Blur admitted to being a big fan, too.