Crazy Frog (So Annoying)

admin

Retired Administrator
I hate this ring tone, how on earth does it make so much money I don't know. Apparently its made its owners Jamster over GB£10m profit thats just under US$20m!

I have never actually heard anyone use it, nor anyone buy it. My question is why is is so successful - and who the hell is buying this rubbish! :D

If you haven't heard it, you must never watch commerical television stations, but

The worst thing is it just got to top of the music charts this week in the UK beating second place by outselling it 4 to 1!

Here is a WIKI on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Frog

yardgames

Retired Administrator
In the US, ringtones are multimillion dollar industry. Why would someone pay so much for a mono half version of a song that plays to tell them their phone is ringing?

admin

Retired Administrator
yardgames said:
In the US, ringtones are multimillion dollar industry. Why would someone pay so much for a mono half version of a song that plays to tell them their phone is ringing?
Exactly, when I have a phone call I want it to ring not play some degraded version of my favourite song!

ekimanisirf

I personally think that paying for a crappy version of a song to use as a ringtone is a joke. I mean, 90% I'm in school or at work, so my phone has to be on vibrate or silence mode. Paying for something I would rarely use seems pretty pointless... although, I've bought some things that I rarely use that have costed a lot more than just a ringtone... lousy cd player...

arach

I don't pay for ringtones and I hate that annoying advertisements about it.

Give Jamba no chance!

But I guess the only way to stop it is to not support it, and that's what I'm doing, right now, with boycotting that stuff from the first minute I saw it on TV. :p

MITM-Fan

Actually I used to have a mobile phone with MALCOLM's theme song "Boss of Me" on it..unfortunately I lost it. :Sad: :D
But don't get me wrong, I'm not into that stuff but I liked the idea of having the theme song of my favorite show with me all the time.

:cool:

Jimmy Junior

Jamster aren't exactly among my favourite companies - I bought an MP3 ringtone from them (Insomnia by Faithless, which I'm now sick of) and when I got my next phone bill realised they'd charged me about £8 for sending me a load of texts which I didn't want.

The first time I heard the 'Crazy Frog' thing it was on a website called 'insanity test' - it was a picture of a racing car which you had to look at and try not to laugh, and back then it was funny, but now it's just been totally milked to the point of just being plain irritating.

Call me traditional, but I prefer a ringtone to sound like a phone ringing.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I agree. I actually wrote an entry on my blog in which I encouraged people to just use the vibrate function. But the sound of a phone ringing is the second best bet.

MITM18

Yeah I agree with that.

If its a telephone ring or vibration I am fine but the worst is when people speak so loud on their cellphones.

Emrysgirl

yardgames said:
I agree. I actually wrote an entry on my blog in which I encouraged people to just use the vibrate function. But the sound of a phone ringing is the second best bet.
What about people with no pockets?:)

But, seriously, I almost always keep mine on vibrate. Even when it's in my back-pack, I can usually hear the zzzrrrrrr, or see the lights

Jimmy Junior

yardgames said:
The point of vibrating is that you don't hear it--you feel it.
That's all good and well if you're sitting still, but if you're walking or haven't got your phone in your pocket, you won't feel it.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Why wouldn't you feel it if you're walking? And why wouldn't you keep your phone in your wallet? Considering your username Juimmy, I've thought of you as a guy, so I hope you're not carrying around a purse, like Dewey did in that one ep?

Jimmy Junior

LOL! No, I don't carry a purse (or 'handbag' as we call it here), although if I've got a lot of stuff to carry I'll take a record bag with me and put my phone in that. I find when I walk all the stuff in my pockets moves around anyway, so I have difficulty realising when it's my phone vibrating or just general movement within my pockets (nothing smutty intended there!) Also when I'm driving I'll put my phone on the passenger seat or in the door compartment.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It sounds like you carry a "handbag" and call it a record bag.

lol, in your situation, I might pass for a ringer instead of vibrate, but it should sound like a ringing phone, I still think.

Jimmy Junior

Wearing a record bag is more like wearing a backpack - blokes can get away with it!
I agree with the ringing phone sound - my MP3 ringtone just sounds like someone has got a cheap radio on nearby.

Emrysgirl

You can clip it to your belt instead of putting it in your pocket. I kinda have to do that. Most pockets on girl pants/jeans are too small to put anything in.

(I'm sure whatever you actually do is fine. I'm just...whatever.)

So I was in this orientation/conferance thing and this girl had her phone on vibrate and in her purse. But you could hear stuff rattling because of the vibrate and it was actually louder than a ring.:)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
lol

Maybe if people didn't have the constant need to be in touch with the world maybe we wouldn't have this nagging cell phone problem.

I mean, whose phone at home still doesn't sound like a phone ringing when it rings?

Jimmy Junior

These days you can buy digital cordless phones with downloadable ringtones - you can even send and and receive text messages with them!
I know what you mean about the mobile phone revolution getting out of control; when I was a kid nobody had a mobile - I didn't buy one until I was 17 and I managed alright. To me the idea of schoolchildren walking around with mobile phones is just ridiculous - what do they do with them apart from send text messages to each other during lessons when they should be concentrating?
When I was that age, if I needed to make a phone call in an emergency, I'd run to the nearest payphone. If anything, having a mobile is more dangerous than not having one - it just gives bullies and muggers a reason to attack.