Catherine Lloyd Burns as Mother Nature

Wemboy

Don't know if this will interest anyone, but had to do a double take the other day when I saw CLB on the telly advertising Tampax!

For those who don't know she was Malcolm's teacher before Mr Herkabe. I always liked the character she played, thought it was funny how she seemed to look up to Malcolm in a way. And the episode when Lois strips away her naivety about the boys was good too.

Anyway did a quick Youtube search to find the ad and turns out there is a whole series of them, well I never. Here is one, they're pretty funny ads in a way; and it's good to know she hasn't lost that ability to look as though she is merely bordering on the edge of sanity :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3kugHmbNgQ

Turns out she has also written a book. A memoir on the relationship between mother and daughter. I'd be very interested if anyone has read it what they thought of it, whether it was worth the read?

http://www.amazon.com/Hit-Me-Like-Ton-Bricks/dp/0865477086

Richiepiep

Administrator
That's a great set of commercials! I've always loved Catherine in MITM. I was sorry she left so early in the series.

She's great at doing those slightly bubbleheaded characters, but there's also a bit of a knowing, witty Fran Drescher in her, which is a weird kind of mixture I like. I think she is a criminally underused actress.

Rich

Yes, I saw her a few months ago in a commercial and couldn't beleive my eyes!:D But, what's with the bad commercial jobs?:confused: She should get better jobs like movies or TV. She's a good actor.:cool:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Yes, I saw her a few months ago in a commercial and couldn't beleive my eyes!:D But, what's with the bad commercial jobs?:confused: She should get better jobs like movies or TV. She's a good actor.:cool:

Oh yes, I think so too, but small comfort perhaps, commercials are generally very well paid. One can earn you a year's salary, and a whole string of them is even better!

I just had to include two MITM publicity shots of her from our Gallery!

catherine_lloyd_burns.jpg

Catherine_Lloyd_Burns_Season_1_213.jpg

Rich

:__MITM Fan__:

Yeah, she was awesome, she was only in the first episodes (it's a shame), and I don't know if you remember, but there was an episode, wich I consider one of the best, where Lois brings Brownies for the class, and she says that MAYBE some of the students might be alergic to nuts, so she just picks up the Brownies, and throws them in the garbage can!!!

You can look up for it in Youtube, they failed a couple of times, because they just laughed when she threw the Brownies away.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Yeah, she was awesome, she was only in the first episodes (it's a shame), and I don't know if you remember, but there was an episode, wich I consider one of the best, where Lois brings Brownies for the class, and she says that MAYBE some of the students might be alergic to nuts, so she just picks up the Brownies, and throws them in the garbage can!!!

You can look up for it in Youtube, they failed a couple of times, because they just laughed when she threw the Brownies away.

Yes, that was a wonderful scene, but sorry to correct you, that was another superb 'bit part' actress with the brownies, Beth Grant. She specializes in schoolmarms and other fussy control freaks. You may have seen her in 'Donnie Darko' or 'Little Miss Sunshine'.

Rich

AlexTheMartian

Yes, that was a wonderful scene, but sorry to correct you, that was another superb 'bit part' actress with the brownies, Beth Grant. She specializes in schoolmarms and other fussy control freaks. You may have seen her in 'Donnie Darko' or 'Little Miss Sunshine'.

Rich

you just named two of my favorite movies :)

yeah i recognized when i watched those movies that she was the bossy PTA mom in MITM, same kind of part she plays in Donnie Darko

and about the first woman we were talking about in this topic, Catherine Lloyd Burns, I remember when she was in Krelboyne Picnic and broke down crying because she was thinking she would be fired, and the funny part where Malcolm gave her a hamburger or something with meat when all the other food was vegetarian, and she gobbled it down.

So in response to :__MITM Fan__:, she was not only in the first episode. IMDb shows she was in 15 episodes. Season 1 and the early part of Season 2

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
and about the first woman we were talking about in this topic, Catherine Lloyd Burns, I remember when she was in Krelboyne Picnic and broke down crying because she was thinking she would be fired, and the funny part where Malcolm gave her a hamburger or something with meat when all the other food was vegetarian, and she gobbled it down.

Yeah, that was great! There is some DVD commentary about it, where I don't remember, a director like Todd Holland or Linwood Boomer says how great she looked with the runny make-up and how she acted that scene, and Catherine says, yes, it was fun, but I really look terrible in this and other scenes, but then again these are the roles I always get, some incompetent, crackpot lady, never a normal character - some words to that effect, at least. Check it out!

Rich