Are we alone in the Universe, or Galaxy? and do you believe in Ghosts?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Re: Are we alone in the Universe, or Galaxy?

Oh, this is that thread that J told me about a few weeks ago. :)

Interesting theory, HalRules. Here’s my take on the situation. We are definitely NOT alone in the universe. We are just one tiny little planet revolving one tiny, insignificant (in the grand scheme of things) star. There are approximately 100 billion stars (many of which have been proven to have planets revolving around them) in our own Milky Way galaxy. That’s not even factoring in the billions and billions of stars that are in other galaxies. The odds of there being at least one other planet out there that is capable of supporting life are too great for there not to be something else out there!

I don’t think, however, that we have actually come in contact with these other life forms. If we have, then they have the technology to travel at the speed of light, or they have discovered some kind of worm hole that allows them to transport from one place to another. Yes, many scientists believe that wormholes actually exist, but they haven’t been able to prove it without a doubt yet. It’s not just science fiction. If we could travel at the speed of light, which is 186,282 miles/second (299,792,458 meters/second), it would still take us 4.3 years to reach the closest star, Proxima Centauri. If we tried to travel to the nearest galaxy (Andromeda), it would take us 2 million years to get there traveling at that speed. So there’s really no way that we could ever really come in contact with aliens unless they are way more advanced than us. In that case, we’re probably in big trouble. :D

While were on the subject of the speed of light, did you know that when you look at stars, you’re looking into the past? When you look at the Andromeda galaxy, for example, you’re really seeing how it looked 2 million years ago because that’s how long the light that you’re seeing has taken to reach Earth. So the galaxy could have been destroyed and not even be there anymore (not that it would happen), but you can still see it because it was there 2 million years ago. Cool huh? The light that you’re seeing outside right now actually left the sun 8 minutes ago. I know, I’m such a science dork. :D Astronomy fascinates me though.

I don't believe what Prettyburd says as i don't believe in witches, UFO's and that kind of stuff like ghosts!! It freaks me out too much!!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

HalRULES said:
Ok, this is what i believe.
There are alians out there somewhere. But the alians are human.
Thousands of years ago the alians (humans) found a planet that was livable. This planet was earth. They dropped a few people on earth (Adam and Eav) and left them here to see how they would evolve. Kinda like an experiment.
Over the years we have had wars and moved on with technology. The alians who dropped us here come back now and then to see how things are going. This explains the UFO's some people see.
The Alians see that the earth is being destroyed by polution and we are at war with each other. The experiment is a failer and they dont bother comunicating with use.
This also proves the bible (im not religious but it has something to do with the bible). God is like the president or king up there. Like George W. Bush but lets hope he's smarter. He had a son, Jesus, who he dropped he on earth 2005 years ago. We all no what happened there.
Anyway. God and his people have technology that is way more advanced then any technology on earth. God and his people are the alians we are so fascinated about.
If you guys have any questions just ask. Hope it all makes sense.
Anyway, thats my theory.

Did your ever happen to 'Area 51' book series? Because if you replace 'Alian' with 'Arlia' That is basicly the storyline of the 9(?) book series. Except they do come in conact with us, and try to get us back to work for them as slaves.

HalRULES

J. said:
Did your ever happen to 'Area 51' book series? Because if you replace 'Alian' with 'Arlia' That is basicly the storyline of the 9(?) book series. Except they do come in conact with us, and try to get us back to work for them as slaves.

Nope never heard of the book series. i came up with that idea by myself. Shame really that someone else has already thought of it.

HalRULES

Quote from Wildcat
While were on the subject of the speed of light, did you know that when you look at stars, you’re looking into the past? When you look at the Andromeda galaxy, for example, you’re really seeing how it looked 2 million years ago because that’s how long the light that you’re seeing has taken to reach Earth. So the galaxy could have been destroyed and not even be there anymore (not that it would happen), but you can still see it because it was there 2 million years ago. Cool huh? The light that you’re seeing outside right now actually left the sun 8 minutes ago. I know, I’m such a science dork. :D Astronomy fascinates me though. [/QUOTE]

I heard about that in Science class. kind of interesting. if you where born outside you could go 18 light years into space (coz im 18) and look back and watch urself being born. Now that would be cool.

vinnymonster

I seriously doubt that we are the only species that has attained intelligence and technology in the universe.

It seems hugely improbable to me, that this planet is the only one in the universe to support life, let alone intelligent life.

And we're only talking about our own universe, according to modern theories there is an infinite number of alternate realities similar to our own, and divergent realities which may operate on differing laws of physics.

As to ghosts and other supernatural entities, there is more proof towards their existance than against, even if said proof is largely eyewitness accounts, or circumstancial evidence.

As to the complex amino acids combining harmoniously to create life, hows this for a philisophical answer?

The Universe is a great and complex living puzzle that is slowly putting itself together, we, and all around us are part of that puzzle and shall someday be complete.

Just something I made up, but it represents my point of view pretty well.:D

My fingers hurt, can I stop typing now?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I was trying to, but I had to get off quick, I had somewhee to go last night. Sorry.

With the discovery of ice on the planet Enceladus (read about it here: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2006-03-09-enceladus-water_x.htm?csp=N007) has just been discovered to have gysers, like Yellowstone Park's Old Faithful. They spurt ice high into the atmosphere and into space on some occasions. This suggests that there are vast oceans deep in the moon(which is the size of France) These oceans could provide life to primitive organisms, and possibly complex things like fish.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Yeah, I just read about that on wikipedia. I think it's quite nice that finally someone found a hint, that alien life is possible.

D

Deleted member 1693

I'm very open-minded about most things. It's pretty unlikely that this is the only planet containing life in our almost infinitely vast multiverse. And all of those dimensions on top of that...

And ghosts? Hm... I don't know. I do believe in spirits though.