Malcolm in the Middle Now Airing on 'Nick at Nite'

Syndication!

Yes, it's syndicated. :( (even FX showed cold openers) but, since they left 1 or 2 cold opens in, I'm going to guess that the edit were mainly for time, since the marathon was widely sponsored, and there were to many commercials for it to be completely uncut. I hope that future airings will include the cold opens. But, this is as close as uncut that we could see for a long time. I also hope that the local airings don't end those are practiclly uncut (Well, on Fox in my area they are almost, with the exception of a few missing quick cold opens and occasional missing unimportant scenes that aren't crucial to the plot). Although, I am glad that Nick at Nite is promoting it so much! :) This is looking good! I'll check what the ratings were for the marathon and post it as soon as it comes out!::D

reese35

In all actuality, 15 of all 16 first season episodes have missing C.O.s. Home Alone 4 - which has the C.O. from Krelboyne Picnic - is the lone wolf. Some of them, though, they could've just left in with the stinger (like "Water Park" - they could've done that and saved at least 8 seconds of airtime.) The only cut I noticed beyond what 20th did was in the pilot - Francis' call to Lois. I don't blame Nick for not wanting us to see smoking scenes and mentions of the 'simmering atmosphere of homoeroticism' - I bet kids were watching last night still thinking "iCarly" and "True Jackson, VP" were gonna come on.

Yes!!! I thought I noticed that the call between Lois and Francis was gone,(but this confirms it) but, that's what showing 'Malcolm' on Nick gets you.:)
(Although, George Lopez shows smoking, drinking, and what Nick would call "some 'mature' themes involving minors" a.k.a. sex, drugs, underage drinking, etc., but it comes on at a later time so they probably give it more leniency with more mature topics being able to be aired)

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Sorry but if Nick are really editing out "adult" scenes they are total idiots, what do they think MITM is?

Richiepiep

Administrator
Sorry but if Nick are really editing out "adult" scenes they are total idiots, what do they think MITM is?

Yes, this does sound like bad news! I guess there's always been some trouble with MITM's demographics. I reckon the Germans see it as a family program, considering the showing times, despite the sophisticated puns, violent scenes, gay jokes, hooker references etc. Dabney has assured me the Germans don't censor it ;) I got a bit wary just because German cinemas and TV have some history of cutting Disney, Harry Potter, Narnia and other children's movies to get them more profitable 6+ ratings. Would be interested in how the French have approached MITM. I guess among European countries, the French, Dutch and Scandinavians are most likely to call a spade a spade, but I may be stereotyping here.

In Holland, MITM only started gaining a substantial audience when Comedy Central - intentionally- started airing it as a mature teenager/adult show.

Although Comedy Central shows it in syndication, they never leave out cold opens or certain scenes. They never show end credits or episode titles though, which means casual viewers are at a loss which season they're tuning in to. They said they would supply season and episode numbers and guest stars, but they've failed to do so due to shortage of staff.

For those interested in what dilemmas today's family sitcoms apparently have to face, I quote a bit from USA Today in 2006 (http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-12-14-big-TV-shows_x.htm). I guess the author would classify MITM as a 'typically nasty Fox' sitcom:

[Could we have a few more family sitcoms?] As in more than one: Everybody Hates Chris. Amazing as it may seem, a genre that has produced some of the most popular shows in TV history, from such fondly remembered classics as Leave It to Beaver and Father Knows Best to more recent, dominant hits such as Roseanne, Home Improvement and The Cosby Show, now has only one representative, and that one is lost over on CW.

Outside of Chris, children have almost vanished from the sitcom sphere. And when they do appear, they're on comedies that are aimed at a much older audience, such as Christine and Two and a Half Men. Funny shows both, but neither is suitable for full family viewing.

What has happened? In their drive to attract a young-adult audience, the networks have ceded the youngest viewers to cable. Once there, the youngsters flock to sitcoms aimed specifically at them, such as Hannah Montana.

You also can credit the family decline to the current affection writers and viewers have for "edgy" humor. The only way to do an edgy family comedy is to either push the children into the background, as in Everybody Loves Raymond, or turn them into a target of prepubescent jokes, as on Men or The War at Home — a typically nasty Fox take on the family format.

Granted, we should all be grateful that TV now encompasses a fuller range of American life and living arrangements, a blessed change from the days when TV only visited two-parent households filled with joke-cracking kids. But as so often happens, the televised pendulum has swung too far the other way. Yes, everyone doesn't have a "traditional" family; everyone never did. But many people do, and surely those people have as strong a desire to see their lives reflected on TV as everyone else.

As Roseanne and Cosby proved, it is possible to do shows the whole family can watch without destroying brain cells. But you know, Mom and Dad, if you want a show the family can all watch together, you may have to make some sacrifices. Thousands of parents used to dutifully watch The Brady Bunch with their kids. They survived — though to be honest, the experience does seem to have warped some of their children.

Rich

Last edited:

AlexTheMartian

i think the stuff you guys are pointing out only is edits for the marathon. On all other times the show is supposed to come on at night along with George Lopez and other shows, right? I think they will not edit out as much then.

MITM_Fan

Perhaps make it a Kids version, I guess. It's really sad editing things, it's better when it's uncut.

Sorry but I couldn't read all you wrote, not really bothered hope I don't offend you, Richiepiep.

Lparsons7981

I didn't watch any of the marathon, but I'm assuming the cuts for the most part were done for the marathon. But if they are cut to make the show more "kid friendly" then so be it.........I guess. At least its on syndication. TBH the more "mature" parts of the show are what make it great to a degree, and in my opinion it isn't really a "kids" show anyway. I think the episodes are the funniest, make the most sense, and have the most impact and connection with the characters if you are the age of the main characters (teenager/young adult) or are older and look back on those days.

MITM_Fan

I didn't watch any of the marathon, but I'm assuming the cuts for the most part were done for the marathon. But if they are cut to make the show more "kid friendly" then so be it.........I guess. At least its on syndication. TBH the more "mature" parts of the show are what make it great to a degree, and in my opinion it isn't really a "kids" show anyway. I think the episodes are the funniest, make the most sense, and have the most impact and connection with the characters if you are the age of the main characters (teenager/young adult) or are older and look back on those days.

I would really like to watch a MitM epi from N@N, to see how much difference it has from the original.

reese35

Other than the aforementioned cut, the episodes are really no different than what you'd see on FX or local TV. At least, near as I can tell. For those cuts, I wouldn't blame the network; as I have infamously and excessively bitched over the years, it's the distributor's fault.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Just as one example I read on the TV.com episode listing, they say that in 'Reese's Apartment', the bit where Reese watches TV and mistakes his neighbour's menacing behaviour for a TV show was cut in syndication.

I cannot back this up, and I wonder if this is censorship, because the scene as such doesn't look violent or explicit at all. Or is it just 'trimming' to shorten? You know how the long cold open for 'Home Alone 4' with Reese threatening Lois with his spoon full of rice was cut.

Some more scenes cut in syndication (TV.com info):

- Malcolm Holds His Tongue: no Francis and Piama scenes. Disgusting toe scene, after wearing those wet boots for days? :confused:

- Watching The Baby: Polly's scenes cut out.

Rich

MITM_Fan

Nick at Nite, in my view they turned Malcolm in the Middle to a kids show, which is ain't a god damn childrens show, it's for all (PG).

Jesus christ it's nonsense censoring this serie, it has nothing to get offended about, I'd understand if it was japanese animation with bloody violent scenes, to take off but this no.:mad:

reese35

Just as one example I read on the TV.com episode listing, they say that in 'Reese's Apartment', the bit where Reese watches TV and mistakes his neighbour's menacing behaviour for a TV show was cut in syndication.

I cannot back this up, and I wonder if this is censorship, because the scene as such doesn't look violent or explicit at all. Or is it just 'trimming' to shorten? You know how the long cold open for 'Home Alone 4' with Reese threatening Lois with his spoon full of rice was cut.

Some more scenes cut in syndication (TV.com info):

- Malcolm Holds His Tongue: no Francis and Piama scenes. Disgusting toe scene, after wearing those wet boots for days? :confused:

- Watching The Baby: Polly's scenes cut out.

Rich

Exactly what you'd see on FX or the local television channels -- not for the sake of decency, but for the sake of revenue.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Exactly what you'd see on FX or the local television channels -- not for the sake of decency, but for the sake of revenue.

So why is that, because I'm not familiar with that on TV. Is it to squeeze more commercials in by shortening the episodes? Or to squeeze in more episodes per night? Or because they have fixed time slots, and by trimming a minute they can make shows start at full or half hours? Or can it involve censorship (I mean cutting undesirable scenes) as well?

Rich

MITM_Fan

Well, N@N can actually release the complete serie in DVD/Blu-Ray, but I do hope they're all UNCUT, I wouldn't buy if they were edited.

Remember FUNimation the american anime team? they show the animes on tv censored and on dvd/bluray they're uncut, so there's a probability that N@N is doing the same.:p

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Well, N@N can actually release the complete serie in DVD/Blu-Ray, but I do hope they're all UNCUT, I wouldn't buy if they were edited.

No, Nick bought the (cable) TV rights. Nothing else. Just like FX did a few years back, just like 20+ TV stations around the world have done.

The rights to release DVDs *could* be sold to somebody but this has not happened yet.

Nobody would release cut episodes on DVD, that just doesn't happen, there is no reason to do it.

The reason they are cut as has been said before is for time. They want more commercials. In 1 hour they show 2 episodes of MITM. They want as many adverts as possible without obviously making the episode not make sense. So they cut non-essential stuff. But as Reese35 has said the cutting probs isn't done by Nick, its was given to them that way by Twentieth Television (FOX) who cut them long ago when the show first went into syndication.

I guess its possible Nick has done extra cutting but I doubt it, it would take extra work.

But to sum up, Nick at Nite episodes are cut, to give time for extra commercial, just like on other channels. This has nothing to do with DVDs.

AlexTheMartian

Nick might be a kids channel generally, but the "Nick at Nite" programming block as a whole appeals to adult and/or adolescent audiences, which is really what Malcolm in the Middle audience is. The programming block runs from 8pm (which is prime-time), throughout the entire night, and until morning.

Speaking of Nick at Nite, MITM being added to the lineup pushed "Home Improvement" all the way to 5am! I bet that show is going to get pulled from the network, probably when they add "Everybody Hates Chris" to Nick at Nite this fall.

MITM_Fan

tjpeople, yes, true, I forgot they only got the cable rights.

alexthemartian, everybody hates chris, was cancelled, it only has 4 seasons and basically the last episode --spoiler-- he get's a letter saying something like to be a comedian, so that's what he's nowadays. well that's what I read, as the channel which was producing EHC cancelled and only if BET could get this, it would continue.

mitm at night won't have much success if it was during the mornings/evenings it would actually have.

I don't know MITM Fan, it's a great time to air it, if george lopez wasn't on right after because they play george lopez so much everybody has seen it but, it is a really convenient time the kids are settled down everybodys at home and relaxing its a great time all around