Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes? - Page 8
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes?

It is against site rules and we have no intention of profiting from other people's work.

We will never sell or support the selling of DVD or downloads.

Need help? Email Me Here

Quote Originally Posted by Richiepiep View Post
    Yes, this looks like a 35mm Panavision Panaflex film camera, so not a video camera. I hope someone else is better qualified to identify the camera, because it must be easy from a picture a clear as this! It's a still from Evacuation, episode 2.24.

Rich
    It's very good they fimed it on film, so even when HDTV is outdated they can re-scan the film because 35mm is much better than 1080p. You can't really specify the resolution of film, but a 35mm film is about 7200 x 4800 pixels, I'm watching mitm in 720x576

Quote Originally Posted by live4mitm View Post
    It's very good they fimed it on film, so even when HDTV is outdated they can re-scan the film because 35mm is much better than 1080p. You can't really specify the resolution of film, but a 35mm film is about 7200 x 4800 pixels, I'm watching mitm in 720x576
    I guess it would even have been better if they'd stuck with the 65mm and 70mm Panavision film strips used a few decades ago? Or doesn't that necessarily mean a better resolution? I hope I understand. I guess it's the same with high-quality analogue audio tapes you can redigitize, rather than low-res DDD recordings that can only remain as good or poor as they are?

Rich

It's been a long time since my last visit. I've just read this thread and I'm so excited! MITM in HD!!!!

Are the chapters from Sky uncut? And 16:9? Iwould love to have the whole series in 16:9...

Of course, it will be a pleasure donating for the cause

So what film format was used for MITM?

From the book Short Films 101: How to make a short film and launch your filmmaking career: "The exposure of 16mm is the same as the exposure for 35mm. A lot of television shows like Scrubs, Malcolm in the Middle and Roswell are shot on 16mm."

Cinematography.net:

http://www.cinematography.net/edited...ShotOn16mm.htm

"Some current shows on S(uper)16mm (nobody shoots on straight 16 anymore) that I can quickly recall are:

Gilmore Girls
    One Tree Hill
    Malcolm in the Middle
    Tru Calling (could be 35mm for the coming season, not sure)
    The OC
    Monk
    Dead Zone
    Scrubs"

http://www.geronimocreek.com/S16-1.html

"Super 16 is winning back a lot of support among the film community due to the introduction of new enhanced finer grained film stocks (Kodak VISION 2 & FIJIFILM), the development of ultra-sharp and optically superior lenses and use of the DI (digital intermediate) process to eliminate the resolution loss associated with 35mm blow-up. As a result, the overall quality of the Super 16 image has improved significantly in the last 10 years.

THESE EPISODIC TV SHOWS ARE ALL SHOT IN SUPER 16MM:

Sex in the City
    The OC
    Monk
    Scrubs
    The Shield
    One Tree Hill
    Dawson's Creek
    Malcolm in the Middle
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Touched by an Angel
    The Outer Limits"

For those really (professionally) familiar with movie cameras, take a look at our production stills in the Gallery: Behind the scenes subsection
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Aug 31, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

yep right like I said on the shoutcast stuff It's not on 35mm. the reason is money. Besides super 16 the trick is to use special film : it has to do with the number of hole on each sides of the film : for series they use the cheaper one that means you have less hole on each side ( dont remember the correct name ). this way you have less image per second that usual 24fps 35mm for movies so your film footage is longer per inch of film. I was talking about that because someone said 16/9 is not crop while 4/3 is crop. that really depends on orginal shot and just saying it was made on pana. is not enough. Most series are made by and for television hence 4/3 native format. (take a look at the image above : the camera monitor is 4/3 not 16/9 ). Of course you can digitally remaster 4/3 to 16/9 and vice-versa. Be aware that HD doesnt mean better than original. That's a common trick they use to lure ppl with no knowledge. Expanding a picture pixels doesnt mean you have a better quality at the output but yeah it's HD ... lol
    Last edited by tedwilder; Aug 31, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tedwilder View Post
    yep right like I said on the shoutcast stuff It's not on 35mm. the reason is money. Besides super 16 the trick is to use special film : it has to do with the number of hole on each sides of the film : for series they use the cheaper one that means you have less hole on each side ( dont remember the correct name ). this way you have less image per second that usual 24fps 35mm for movies so your film footage is longer per inch of film. I was talking about that because someone said 16/9 is not crop while 4/3 is crop. that really depends on orginal shot and just saying it was made on pana. is not enough. Most series are made by and for television hence 4/3 native format. (take a look at the image above : the camera monitor is 4/3 not 16/9 ). Of course you can digitally remaster 4/3 to 16/9 and vice-versa. Be aware that HD doesnt mean better than original. That's a common trick they use to lure ppl with no knowledge. Expanding a picture pixels doesnt mean you have a better quality at the output but yeah it's HD ... lol
    Thanks again, Ted. You mean 'perforation'. I didn't know at all that Super 16mm would run at slower speeds. It really sounds unlikely to me, because I assume (so perhaps wrongly) that 24 images per second is always the standard speed, otherwise the movement will get jerky. (of course there are faster recording speeds than 24 for slow motion in projection and slower for speeded-up motion, but that's obvious).

Yes, there can be a variety of cropping methods, depending on the original format in which it was shot. Wide screen is not just one aspect ratio of 16/9 (which equals 1.77:1), but can vary between 1.66:1 and 2.55:1, depending on the process. This would entail endless possibilities of post-production cropping and re-adjustments to various media.

Rich

So how is this developing?

If it's only seasons 6 and 7, I give up.

From what Batch has said only 6 & 7 are broadcast in HD on Sky1.

Batch what's your situation on recording? Guessing your back at uni soon? Shall we start fund-raising for next summer?
    Need help? Email Me Here

Yep, season 6 is airing at the moment in HD and season 7 i already know to be in HD, so just the 2 seasons.

Correct, back to uni at the end of the month, so 9 months fundraising for next summer would be good!