Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes?

live4mitm

I think the smaller SD episodes should also be h.264 codec and not xvid, because it is better quality and takes less place, or MPEG2 for DVD.

MITM_Fan

I think the smaller SD episodes should also be h.264 codec and not xvid, because it is better quality and takes less place, or MPEG2 for DVD.

Have to disagree as a great example look at BDRips and BRRips, the quality is great and they're in AVI container.

If you don't have clue what I'm talking about then take a look;

s0yi2v.jpg

34slyyq.jpg

16712jr.jpg

Those screens were from Dumb and Dumber BRRip.

BDRip = Blu-Ray Disc Rip
BRRip = Blu-Ray Rip
HDRip = HD-DVD Rip
HDTVRip = HDTV Rip

The sources are 1080p, 720p and then with the process they take they make into 720x304 with the same quality just with SD resolution.

live4mitm

What is the difference between Blu-ray rip and blu-ray disc rip?
But what I meant was that h.264 is better as XviD for SD and HD. It is the newer codec, you get greater quality but need less space, no matter what the source is. For e.g. when you rip a blu-ray to a 700mb xvid it looks not as good as when you rip it to a 700mb h.264.
And what did you want to show with the dum and dumber screens? The quality of a 720x304 avi is not the same quality as a blu-ray at all.

Sorry when my english is not good, I'm from germany :p

MITM_Fan

What is the difference between Blu-ray rip and blu-ray disc rip?
But what I meant was that h.264 is better as XviD for SD and HD. It is the newer codec, you get greater quality but need less space, no matter what the source is. For e.g. when you rip a blu-ray to a 700mb xvid it looks not as good as when you rip it to a 700mb h.264.
And what did you want to show with the dum and dumber screens? The quality of a 720x304 avi is not the same quality as a blu-ray at all.

Sorry when my english is not good, I'm from germany :p

BRRip = already ripped in the container mkv for example.

BDRip = ripped from the blu-ray disc.

Encoding into x264 is unecessarily done, XviD is fine for this, there is no need, even they've done in the scene BDRips/BRRips 720p and look wonderful in AVI container, so just like I said, no need for x264.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Yes, all seasons were filmed on Film with Panavision Cameras, so they could broadcast all in HD. So I think we have to wait like you just said, until somebody does the work for us and then we contact each other here.

Yes, this looks like a 35mm Panavision Panaflex film camera, so not a video camera. I hope someone else is better qualified to identify the camera, because it must be easy from a picture a clear as this! It's a still from Evacuation, episode 2.24.

Malcolm-in-the-Middle-2x24-Evacuation-MITMVC-2.jpg

Rich

MITM_Fan

tj, I have an idea which, if the HD episodes come out, you or someone could sell them with DVD Covers, DVD and etc just like an original, this is for the ones that prefer having in DVD, is this possible to happen?

Let's say it could cost £15/£20 not expensive nor cheap, for each season.

This wouldn't be a rip-off basically because it's donations, and too it would be superior to those DVDs that people sell *bootlegs*.

Selling in DVDs I just meant have them in the original container .mkv, a box, dvd and the dvd cover. Not menus or BS because that would take alot of quality.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
It is against site rules and we have no intention of profiting from other people's work.

We will never sell or support the selling of DVD or downloads.

live4mitm

Yes, this looks like a 35mm Panavision Panaflex film camera, so not a video camera. I hope someone else is better qualified to identify the camera, because it must be easy from a picture a clear as this! It's a still from Evacuation, episode 2.24.

Malcolm-in-the-Middle-2x24-Evacuation-MITMVC-2.jpg

Rich

It's very good they fimed it on film, so even when HDTV is outdated they can re-scan the film because 35mm is much better than 1080p. You can't really specify the resolution of film, but a 35mm film is about 7200 x 4800 pixels, I'm watching mitm in 720x576 :D

Richiepiep

Administrator
It's very good they fimed it on film, so even when HDTV is outdated they can re-scan the film because 35mm is much better than 1080p. You can't really specify the resolution of film, but a 35mm film is about 7200 x 4800 pixels, I'm watching mitm in 720x576 :D

I guess it would even have been better if they'd stuck with the 65mm and 70mm Panavision film strips used a few decades ago? Or doesn't that necessarily mean a better resolution? I hope I understand. I guess it's the same with high-quality analogue audio tapes you can redigitize, rather than low-res DDD recordings that can only remain as good or poor as they are?

Rich

ronbin

It's been a long time since my last visit. I've just read this thread and I'm so excited! MITM in HD!!!!

Are the chapters from Sky uncut? And 16:9? Iwould love to have the whole series in 16:9...

Of course, it will be a pleasure donating for the cause :)

Richiepiep

Administrator
So what film format was used for MITM?

From the book Short Films 101: How to make a short film and launch your filmmaking career: "The exposure of 16mm is the same as the exposure for 35mm. A lot of television shows like Scrubs, Malcolm in the Middle and Roswell are shot on 16mm."

Cinematography.net:

http://www.cinematography.net/edited-pages/ShowsShotOn16mm.htm

"Some current shows on S(uper)16mm (nobody shoots on straight 16 anymore) that I can quickly recall are:

Gilmore Girls
One Tree Hill
Malcolm in the Middle
Tru Calling (could be 35mm for the coming season, not sure)
The OC
Monk
Dead Zone
Scrubs"

http://www.geronimocreek.com/S16-1.html

"Super 16 is winning back a lot of support among the film community due to the introduction of new enhanced finer grained film stocks (Kodak VISION 2 & FIJIFILM), the development of ultra-sharp and optically superior lenses and use of the DI (digital intermediate) process to eliminate the resolution loss associated with 35mm blow-up. As a result, the overall quality of the Super 16 image has improved significantly in the last 10 years.

THESE EPISODIC TV SHOWS ARE ALL SHOT IN SUPER 16MM:

Sex in the City
The OC
Monk
Scrubs
The Shield
One Tree Hill
Dawson's Creek
Malcolm in the Middle
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Touched by an Angel
The Outer Limits"

For those really (professionally) familiar with movie cameras, take a look at our production stills in the Gallery: Behind the scenes subsection

Last edited:

tedwilder

yep right like I said on the shoutcast stuff It's not on 35mm. the reason is money. Besides super 16 the trick is to use special film : it has to do with the number of hole on each sides of the film : for series they use the cheaper one that means you have less hole on each side ( dont remember the correct name ). this way you have less image per second that usual 24fps 35mm for movies so your film footage is longer per inch of film. I was talking about that because someone said 16/9 is not crop while 4/3 is crop. that really depends on orginal shot and just saying it was made on pana. is not enough. Most series are made by and for television hence 4/3 native format. (take a look at the image above : the camera monitor is 4/3 not 16/9 ). Of course you can digitally remaster 4/3 to 16/9 and vice-versa. Be aware that HD doesnt mean better than original. That's a common trick they use to lure ppl with no knowledge. Expanding a picture pixels doesnt mean you have a better quality at the output but yeah it's HD ... lol

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
yep right like I said on the shoutcast stuff It's not on 35mm. the reason is money. Besides super 16 the trick is to use special film : it has to do with the number of hole on each sides of the film : for series they use the cheaper one that means you have less hole on each side ( dont remember the correct name ). this way you have less image per second that usual 24fps 35mm for movies so your film footage is longer per inch of film. I was talking about that because someone said 16/9 is not crop while 4/3 is crop. that really depends on orginal shot and just saying it was made on pana. is not enough. Most series are made by and for television hence 4/3 native format. (take a look at the image above : the camera monitor is 4/3 not 16/9 ). Of course you can digitally remaster 4/3 to 16/9 and vice-versa. Be aware that HD doesnt mean better than original. That's a common trick they use to lure ppl with no knowledge. Expanding a picture pixels doesnt mean you have a better quality at the output but yeah it's HD ... lol

Thanks again, Ted. You mean 'perforation'. I didn't know at all that Super 16mm would run at slower speeds. It really sounds unlikely to me, because I assume (so perhaps wrongly) that 24 images per second is always the standard speed, otherwise the movement will get jerky. (of course there are faster recording speeds than 24 for slow motion in projection and slower for speeded-up motion, but that's obvious).

Yes, there can be a variety of cropping methods, depending on the original format in which it was shot. Wide screen is not just one aspect ratio of 16/9 (which equals 1.77:1), but can vary between 1.66:1 and 2.55:1, depending on the process. This would entail endless possibilities of post-production cropping and re-adjustments to various media.

Rich

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
From what Batch has said only 6 & 7 are broadcast in HD on Sky1.

Batch what's your situation on recording? Guessing your back at uni soon? Shall we start fund-raising for next summer?

Batch

Yep, season 6 is airing at the moment in HD and season 7 i already know to be in HD, so just the 2 seasons.

Correct, back to uni at the end of the month, so 9 months fundraising for next summer would be good!