Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes? - Page 14
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by rivalxstorm View Post
    Malcolm was filmed on Super 16mm film, the quality will never be excellent.
    You can't compare Super 16mm 720p with "normal" 720p.

It's still a big improvement over the DVD quality in my opinion.
    it sure is

TVS just uploaded Season 2 from Netflix.

Are these being released on torrent or usenet sites?

Quote Originally Posted by rivalxstorm View Post
    Malcolm was filmed on Super 16mm film, the quality will never be excellent.
    Super 16 will always look better than "normal 720p" as you call it. A bunch of shows that were shot on 16mm look gorgeous remastered in HD. "Friends" or "That '70s Show" for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic-J View Post
    Super 16 will always look better than "normal 720p" as you call it. A bunch of shows that were shot on 16mm look gorgeous remastered in HD. "Friends" or "That '70s Show" for example.
    So maybe it's that Netflix compressed the quality?

It's a streaming website after all so it wouldn't come as a surprise if they did.

I respectfully disagree. Both of your shows mentioned do not look "excellent" (that's the word I used). 1080p filmed with a good professional camera will look better (looks "cleaner" in my opinion).

35mm is another story though.

But you are partly right, because the quality could be better. For Malcolm @ Netflix it seems like they took the original DI (no rescan) and produced a new 720p DSM with it. We could discuss now if it's an upscale from 576p to 720p but we don't know what resolution the original DI had.

However by using the new 720p DSM and distributing it digitally (not on DVD) we have three advantages:
    • no old MPEG2 codec
    • no file size limit because of small dual layer DVD capability (8GB)
    • with the new DSM they finally fixed most of the color issues

Disadvantage:
    • Bitrates could be higher, Netflix does compress the footage a lot

The current 720p quality we have now is probably the best we can get, unless some company invests serious money to produce a new DI.
    Last edited by rivalxstorm; Jan 8, 2016 at 04:57 PM.

Welp, so I recently renewed my Netflix UK account to watch new seasons of shows they have exclusively but then when I looked up for Malcolm in the Middle... nothing. NOTHING! Not much reason to stick around with Netflix UK which kinda sucks unless you're OK with their limited selection. :-/

They also removed The Office (US) which I loved to watch every now and then.

So.. it's either owning the show on DVD (I intend to but even buying used is ridiculously overpriced) or pirating it. Damn shame MitM doesn't get the attention it deserves -- A re-release of the series to bring down the prices of the used market and also a Blu-ray release of MitM in HD.

You can still buy the French DVD sets on Amazon. They actually released a S1-7 box set. They do destroy the UK sets in term of picture quality and they also include the original English audio.

You can still buy the French DVD sets on Amazon. They actually released a S1-7 box set. They do destroy the UK sets in term of picture quality and they also include the original English audio.
    Exactly! Let's try and keep supporting those small but extremely dedicated niche companies, who went out of their way to get MITM released, while we can. I know almost 100 euros for the box set (on French Amazon, both new and secondhand) may sound like a hefty sum in all, but actually it's only 66 cents per episode, which you can view as often as you want, and which includes extras!

That's not too much to ask for devoted fans like us - which I consider us to be because we bother to post here, is it?

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Apr 7, 2016 at 11:46 AM.
    All the people are so happy now, their heads are caving in.
    I'm glad they are a snowman with protective rubber skin.

Beiß mein' Schorf, Blasenloch!