Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes?

faintuk

Happy to see a HD release, I went back and watched all seasons a few months ago but Id gladly watch them all again in HD

rivalxstorm

Thanks! It's great to see a group getting onto it, but its seems like TVS are a german group focusing on the dubbed version, so we still need somebody to pick up the english version.

I'm not sure on the audio quality of netflix? If the audio is not improved over DVD then I guess it would be possible to combine them - however that is a lot of effort.
Hi there!
TVS will release the first three seasons with 2 audio lines, one in German 2.0 (source from DVD) and the other in English 5.1 (source from Netflix). Season four & five is unclear, because for Germany there are only crappy TV audio sources.

The TVS member "simon" who does the project has now decided against 1080p, as there is not (or barely) any difference to 720p (Malcolm masters or Netflix masters are simply too bad for 1080p) and the increased file size is unncessary.

Season 1 is completed now.

Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E01.Malcolm.der.Held.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E02.Lois.sieht.rot.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E03.Allein.zu.Haus.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E04.Gewissensbisse.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E05.Eine.fast.perfekte.Familie.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E06.Die.Ausreisser.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E07.Francis.auf.der.Flucht.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E08.Das.Begabten-Chaos.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E09.Ohne.Moos.nichts.los.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E10.Stock-Car-Rennen.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E11.Der.Suendenbock.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E12.Cheerleader.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E13.Rollerskates.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E14.Der.Killer-Roboter.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E15.Immer.wieder.Sonntag.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E16.Wasserspiele.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS

General information for season 1:
  • File size 1.1-1.4 GB
  • Bitrate ~6000 kbps
  • German Audio AC-3 224 Kbps 2.0
  • English Audio AC-3 640 Kbps 5.1

MITM_Fan

Hi there!
TVS will release the first three seasons with 2 audio lines, one in German 2.0 (source from DVD) and the other in English 5.1 (source from Netflix). Season four & five is unclear, because for Germany there are only crappy TV audio sources.

The TVS member "simon" who does the project has now decided against 1080p, as there is not (or barely) any difference to 720p (Malcolm masters or Netflix masters are simply too bad for 1080p) and the increased file size is unncessary.

Season 1 is completed now.

Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E01.Malcolm.der.Held.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E02.Lois.sieht.rot.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E03.Allein.zu.Haus.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E04.Gewissensbisse.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E05.Eine.fast.perfekte.Familie.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E06.Die.Ausreisser.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E07.Francis.auf.der.Flucht.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E08.Das.Begabten-Chaos.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E09.Ohne.Moos.nichts.los.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E10.Stock-Car-Rennen.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E11.Der.Suendenbock.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E12.Cheerleader.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E13.Rollerskates.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E14.Der.Killer-Roboter.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E15.Immer.wieder.Sonntag.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS
Malcolm.mittendrin.S01E16.Wasserspiele.German.DD20.Dubbed.DL.720p.NetflixHD.x264-TVS

General information for season 1:
  • File size 1.1-1.4 GB
  • Bitrate ~6000 kbps
  • German Audio AC-3 224 Kbps 2.0
  • English Audio AC-3 640 Kbps 5.1

Did not know Season 1 was available in HD! Are Seasons 2-7 (8+9 for sure) also up for download in 720p HD?

It's been a while since I've seen MitM but I have gotten used to watching 2000's shows in HD if it's possible, like My Name is Earl I have Seasons 1 and 2 in HD (would love to own it on BD but it doesn't exist) so not much point watching it in SD at this point albeit, I've seen it so many times I'm about done with it. However, I'll forever wait that Jason Lee and Greg Garcia reveal the big mystery.

rivalxstorm

Open your eyes guys, these are clearly upscaled and look worse than the current DVDs.

Clearly an upscale /s

German 576p DVD:
heEcB16.jpg

Netflix 720p:
sNUDjQg.png

720p Netflix vs. 576p zoomed:
Vergleich.png

Other samples from 720p:
bUqqDat.jpg

QWi7RIU.jpg

MITM_Fan

*SD Vs. HD comparison*

Kinda looks like they did a clean up and upscaled the DVD remasters to 720p/1080p.

Not exactly what I was hoping for to see MitM in HD, I mean, I expected the picture quality to be excellent and crystal clear.

Anyway, thanks, Storm. :)

rivalxstorm

Malcolm was filmed on Super 16mm film, the quality will never be excellent.
You can't compare Super 16mm 720p with "normal" 720p.

It's still a big improvement over the DVD quality in my opinion.

Magic-J

Malcolm was filmed on Super 16mm film, the quality will never be excellent.

Super 16 will always look better than "normal 720p" as you call it. A bunch of shows that were shot on 16mm look gorgeous remastered in HD. "Friends" or "That '70s Show" for example.

MITM_Fan

Super 16 will always look better than "normal 720p" as you call it. A bunch of shows that were shot on 16mm look gorgeous remastered in HD. "Friends" or "That '70s Show" for example.
So maybe it's that Netflix compressed the quality?

It's a streaming website after all so it wouldn't come as a surprise if they did.

rivalxstorm

I respectfully disagree. Both of your shows mentioned do not look "excellent" (that's the word I used). 1080p filmed with a good professional camera will look better (looks "cleaner" in my opinion).

35mm is another story though.

But you are partly right, because the quality could be better. For Malcolm @ Netflix it seems like they took the original DI (no rescan) and produced a new 720p DSM with it. We could discuss now if it's an upscale from 576p to 720p but we don't know what resolution the original DI had.

However by using the new 720p DSM and distributing it digitally (not on DVD) we have three advantages:
  • no old MPEG2 codec
  • no file size limit because of small dual layer DVD capability (8GB)
  • with the new DSM they finally fixed most of the color issues
Disadvantage:
  • Bitrates could be higher, Netflix does compress the footage a lot
The current 720p quality we have now is probably the best we can get, unless some company invests serious money to produce a new DI.

Last edited:

MITM_Fan

Welp, so I recently renewed my Netflix UK account to watch new seasons of shows they have exclusively but then when I looked up for Malcolm in the Middle... nothing. NOTHING! :( Not much reason to stick around with Netflix UK which kinda sucks unless you're OK with their limited selection. :-/

They also removed The Office (US) which I loved to watch every now and then.

So.. it's either owning the show on DVD (I intend to but even buying used is ridiculously overpriced) or pirating it. Damn shame MitM doesn't get the attention it deserves -- A re-release of the series to bring down the prices of the used market and also a Blu-ray release of MitM in HD.

Magic-J

You can still buy the French DVD sets on Amazon. They actually released a S1-7 box set. They do destroy the UK sets in term of picture quality and they also include the original English audio.

Richiepiep

Administrator
You can still buy the French DVD sets on Amazon. They actually released a S1-7 box set. They do destroy the UK sets in term of picture quality and they also include the original English audio.
Exactly! Let's try and keep supporting those small but extremely dedicated niche companies, who went out of their way to get MITM released, while we can. I know almost 100 euros for the box set (on French Amazon, both new and secondhand) may sound like a hefty sum in all, but actually it's only 66 cents per episode, which you can view as often as you want, and which includes extras!

That's not too much to ask for devoted fans like us - which I consider us to be because we bother to post here, is it?

Rich

Last edited: