Catch racing with Frankie in it

MalcolmFun

catch racing with Frankie in it, starting today or next week

HDNet Set For Atlantic Championship Television Coverage Beginning This Weekend; Network To Carry Live Coverage of Doubleheaders in New Jersey and Chicago

BROWNSBURG, June 5, 2009: The speed and excitement of the Cooper Tires Presents The Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda will be on display in high definition for the first time this season as officials from HDNet and MAZDASPEED today announced that the television network is scheduled to broadcast five Atlantic events through the end of July.

The schedule for HDNet’s Atlantic Championship coverage includes four live telecasts and gets underway tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET with coverage of the March 20 VISIT FLORIDA Grand Prix from Sebring International Raceway. HDNet’s first live offerings are planned for Saturday and Sunday, June 13 and 14, when the Atlantic Championship contests its first doubleheader of the season at the Mazda Formula X presented by Cooper Tires at New Jersey Motorsports Park. HDNet will also be on hand for live coverage of the Autobahn Grand Prix Presented by Mazda at Autobahn Country Club in suburban Chicago on Saturday and Sunday, July 25 and 26.

“We are absolutely thrilled that Atlantic Championship races will be carried on HDNet beginning this weekend,” said Atlantic Championship President Ben Johnston. “As the viewers will see for the first time tomorrow, the race at Sebring was an exciting way to get our 2009 season started. We are also delighted that one quarter of our schedule will be featured on live television with coverage of the doubleheaders in New Jersey and Chicago. The excitement provided by our drivers and teams is tailor made for high definition television, and we are grateful to MAZDASPEED for making this a reality.”

Veteran racing announcer Rick Benjamin will provide play-by-play, with color commentary from legendary racer and Atlantic graduate Elliott Forbes-Robinson. All four of the live Atlantic telecasts from New Jersey and Chicago will be part of tripleheaders that will also include two other series in the MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Ladder, the Star Mazda Championship and the SCCA Pro Racing Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup.

Next up for the 2009 Cooper Tires Presents The Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda is the Mazda Formula X presented by Cooper Tires doubleheader at New Jersey Motorsports Park on the weekend of June 13-14. John Edwards leads the championship standings by five points, 36-31, over Simona De Silvestro heading into the doubleheader, which will be Rounds 3 and 4 of the 12-race 2009 championship.

Lparsons7981

I'm actually going to a weekend at Lime Rock speedway where one of the events is an Atlantic Champ. race. I'm not sure Frankie will be in it though, as according to his Twitter he injured his foot, not sure how long his recovery will be.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
The foot injury isn't the sort thats stops him racing. But it needs to heal.

Lparsons7981

The foot injury isn't the sort thats stops him racing. But it needs to heal.

Ah, thanks for that. I know of drivers that race with injured hands, but I suppose an injured foot is possible as well, especially in an open-wheeled race car. It isn't exactly driving a regular car that's for sure :)

MalcolmFun

I would speculate a foot injury could slow his response in pushing the clutch pedal, especially if you have pain every time. I don't think you actually need to fully press the clutch for every shift in those type of cars though. The biggest problem would be starting and stopping, so if he stalls the car at the start of the race and looks foolish sitting there when everyone takes off, this would probably be why.

I'm not referring to what happend in the first race though, which was a mechanical problem before the race even started.

Last edited:

Lparsons7981

I thought open-wheeled cars had buttons on the steering control for shifting? I agree though that with such an injury the biggest problem may come coming out of pit row, as that is by far the easiest place to stall.

I'm most likely going to the American Le-Mans Northeast Grand-Prix on July 17-18. The race earlier in the day is the Atlantic Champ. series. I'll let everyone know how it goes and maybe try to get some pictures if possible :)

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
The race earlier in the day is the Atlantic Champ. series. I'll let everyone know how it goes and maybe try to get some pictures if possible :)
Frankie has many times said to go up and say hello. So if you can, do. Picture would be awesome.

Lparsons7981

Frankie has many times said to go up and say hello. So if you can, do. Picture would be awesome.

According to the event schedule there is a open "paddock" (all the cars on display basically) for the Atlantic Champ. series on the first morning of the event, and an autograph session later, so if I can get there on time it's a definite possibility. :)

MalcolmFun

IndyCar and F1 have the buttons on the wheel to shift. They are all electronic. Atlantic and anything else not so expensive has a mechanical shift lever. There definitely has to be a clutch down in there. Before he has been at races with bandages, scrapes, bruises, whatever, I don't think that will stop him unless hes crippled.

I looked at that schedule and the paddock tour thing is informational but the whole area is usually open to fans anyway if you go at your own time. I think most of the drivers and even the crew like to talk to fans about the races sometimes as long as they aren't busy. If you want an autograph or a picture, I suggest not waiting for the autograph session. Hang around by the team trailer for awhile and he has to go in and out sometime. Catch him when hes not busy then you can actually chat as opposed to being pushed through an autograph line like you are cattle being herded.

I would say go early or even on friday to avoid crowd. Definately not after the end of the race at 12:05 because the team will immediately begin packing all thier equipment up for the weekend and leaving - even if there are other events happening on track.

Last edited: