Do you ever listen to the Radio?

admin

Retired Administrator
Is the radio going out of fashion now? How many of you still listen to radio stations, and/or tune into specific radio programmes as you do TV shows. I have to say I am not an avid fan of the radio, but there are still some programmes which I will tune in to listen to.

Although saying that, I do frequently use the radio to listen to music, although are MP3 players destroying the radio, by basically allowing you to have your own private station without annoying adverts?

MITM-Fan

admin said:
Although saying that, I do frequently use the radio to listen to music, although are MP3 players destroying the radio, by basically allowing you to have your own private station without annoying adverts?
I don't think they are destroying the radio...there are people who still are listening to the news, weather forecast, traffic news etc....and yeah...of course...music. :D
Personally I listen to the radio in the bathroom or while using the toilet. :D

:cool:

APK

I listen to the radio a lot...I only ever listen to one station, though, called "Classic Gold" - it's on AM, on 1332, and it plays old music from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, with a bit of 1950s, and a little from the 1990s. I've never been too interested in modern music, it's just not my kind of thing, and I've always loved old music.

My favourite groups are the Beatles and the Bee Gees, but I like most groups/songs from the 1950s - 1980s. I really like disco music from the 70s and 80s, and always listen to the "disco" shows that are held on Friday and Saturday evenings on the station. It's broadcast live from LA by the Emperor Rosko - he's an American disk jockey in his early sixties; the guy is just amazing! He's so energetic and lively and...happy!

admin

Retired Administrator
Sounds just like me, I love music from that era as well, infact I rarely listen to anything beyond it :D

The Who
Beatles
Grand Funk Railroad
David Bowie
Queen
Bee Gees
Monkeys

Loads of bands I love from that era! :D

ekimanisirf

Radio has evolved a lot in the last couple of years. For example, we have digital radio, radio on the internet, satellite radio etc.

As much as you say you don't listen to it, chances are, you do. Maybe it's on in your car on your way to work/school, or perhaps it's playing in your workplace etc.

I personally use iTunes to download my music. However, I am not made of money, so when I can't afford to buy any songs (even though they are only $0.99), I use the iTunes radio. It really is a great invention.

J

JonAnd85

I listen to radio very much (Probably to much)! First in the morning in the car, then on my work. And finally on the evening when i sitting and listen on the internet.

I don't really think that MP3 Players can kill the radio. Because radio have a good music mix with many diffrent music styles, news, crazy radio talkers, commercial :)o) and other things that Mp3 Players doesn't have. So i think that i can continue to listen to my favourite radio stations for many years.

Wemboy

I'm listening to the radio right now! What frustrates me with radio stations is that they tend to play the same songs over and over, just straight from what seems like a very short playlist. Hence, i constantly listen to Century FM, (105.4 FM if you're anywhere near the UK's north west), they just play a good variety ("80's, 90's and now" as the tagline says:) ). Nothing earlier than the eighties unfortunately, but they manage to squeeze in some of those disco classics which always make me smile:) .
I have to say fair play to radio 1 (praise for the BBC is rare indeed coming from me) for airing the first regular national hardcore show in the UK! it may be on at three in the morning but at least it's there and i can "listen again" online at a more civilised time. Hardcore rave, listen to it every day!

arach

I listen to the radio a lot.

The radio is on in the kitchen and in the living room all the time, and we even have one with a motion detector at the toilet.

I listen to the radio when I am sick of the MP3's I have and when I want to hear something different. There are still some good radio stations out there. But I don't like all the hitradio stuff.

Jimmy Junior

I listen to a fair amount of radio (again, I'm listening to it right now).
I usually listen to Juice 107.2 (local station) or Radio 1, depending on where I am, but on weekday evenings when radio is rubbish I listen to mth.house on the internet.
I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to a specific programme but I've been a fan of Pete Tong's Essential Selection (Friday evenings on Radio 1) for about 8 years now.

Emrysgirl

Wemboy said:
I'm listening to the radio right now! What frustrates me with radio stations is that they tend to play the same songs over and over, just straight from what seems like a very short playlist. Hence, i constantly listen to Century FM, (105.4 FM if you're anywhere near the UK's north west), they just play a good variety ("80's, 90's and now" as the tagline says:) ). Nothing earlier than the eighties unfortunately, but they manage to squeeze in some of those disco classics which always make me smile:) .
That's so funny! I'm listening to a station called Y98 FM and they played the same tag line just as I was reading your post!! But I switch whenever they play songs from the 80's. It's the only decade I can't stand.

In general, I don't listen to that much radio. My parents think it distracts me too much when I'm working, and even though I don't admit it, they're right. I mainly listen in the car. I mainly listen to Y98 and another station called 101.1 The River (They have the dumbest tagline: "Today's music is what it is. 101.1 The River is where it's at.":rolleyes: ). Occasionally I also listen to NPR, but usually just during election time.

Ryebeach

I only ever listen to the radio when I'm on the drive into work in the mornings. I catch the news and weather and a few songs. Mostly I avoid the radio as the stations I listen to have seemingly constand advertisments. The music is pretty much nonexistant nowadays and that's disheartening. I'm only in the car for a few minutes here and there throughout a day and I'd rather sit in silence then hear any more ads. We get enough of those on TV.

Jimmy Junior

Ryebeach said:
I only ever listen to the radio when I'm on the drive into work in the mornings. I catch the news and weather and a few songs. Mostly I avoid the radio as the stations I listen to have seemingly constand advertisments. The music is pretty much nonexistant nowadays and that's disheartening. I'm only in the car for a few minutes here and there throughout a day and I'd rather sit in silence then hear any more ads. We get enough of those on TV.
That's one of the great things about BBC radio - no adverts!

Jimmy Junior

The BBC is funded from the TV license (it costs about £110 a year) and other business deals they have going on, such as exporting programmes to other countries - the BBC will have received royalties for any programme they have produced which is shown in, America for example.

Emrysgirl

I don't mind ads on public TV or on the radio. I admit, it's very annoying. But it's free (that's the reason it's free), so I can't complain. I do, however, find ads on cable channels a pain. And they're not even shorter than the ones on public TV.

Dewey

Minimalistic
All the time!

I feel that although the US are the best in the world at producing movies and TV shows, American radio stations tend to suck. From experience, they are rather trashy.

In contrast, the UK are excellent in their radio broadcasting. Chris Evans is amazing!

The BBC have something for everyone, and you can even listen online from anywhere in the world: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

My personal favourites are: World Service, 6-music, 5-live and the Asian Network. In terms of the commercial stations, I like Virgin (only for the Pete and Geoff show) and Classic FM.

Is everyone here familiar with 'Podcasting'? The reason i ask is....actually, I'll come to that later...MF

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I actually just wrote an article on podcasting for my dad's home automation newsletter; I learned quite a bit about it in the process.

Emrysgirl

Is the Asian Network on the radio related to the Asian Network on TV? Asian Network TV is really fun and entertaining.

I've heard the term podcasting, but am not really familiar with it.

D

Deleted member 1693

The radio sucks nowadays because they can't stop talking or playing old music over and over again. But I listen to KROQ 106.7 and STAR 98.7 every once in a while.