The Milgram experiment mentioned in 'Malcolm Films Reese'

Richiepiep

Administrator
I'm surprised no one has picked up on this yet. It's not on the TV.com allusions list for the episode, for instance.

In this episode, Mr Herkabe mentions that the 'Milgram experiment' showed how students are willing to obey their teachers, even if they make unreasonable demands. Unlike the 'Krelboyne' name or other made-up MITM references, this isn't just a random term. When I worked at the Psychology Department of my university, I learned that there actually was a Milgram experiment, and that it was quite legendary, notoriously so, in those circles.

In the experiment, conducted by Stanley Milgram, an experimenter instructed a participant, acting as a teacher, to administer electric shocks to another, unseen participant if the latter failed to memorize and replicate previously heard word pairs. The 'learner' was actually an actor instructed to make mistakes and produce screams. Surprisingly few participants questioned, let alone aborted the experiments. It makes fascinating and disconcerting reading on people's lack of moral fibre when an authority figure is around guiding them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

YouTube-hosted documentary in five parts:

Edit: Aw shucks, stupid copyright claims! If even universities claim copyright on nearly 4 decade-old documentaries (and this is just for viewing, mind), I wonder what this is doing for promoting science among the masses as a valid subject and a way to advance society!

Rich

Last edited:

MalcolmFun

I don't think the writers "made up" much of anything. Most of the stuff like that in the show has some kind of basis in reality. "Krelboyne" was a character from Little Shop of Horrors. "Busey" was clearly a reference to the somewhat unhinged actor Gary Busey. Napoleon really did die on St Helena, Charlotte's web was annoying and Burning Man is real!

Richiepiep

Administrator
I don't think the writers "made up" much of anything. Most of the stuff like that in the show has some kind of basis in reality. "Krelboyne" was a character from Little Shop of Horrors. "Busey" was clearly a reference to the somewhat unhinged actor Gary Busey. Napoleon really did die on St Helena, Charlotte's web was annoying and Burning Man is real!

I guess so. Dang, you've convinced me! ;) I have a scientific mind, which makes me think less of pop culture references than historic, literary or scientific data. Which of course is totally high-brow and conceited!

I'm working on my middle brow at this very moment!

Rich

MalcolmFun

Well then here is a good question. Remember the episode where the guest star genius "Barton" tutors Malcolm about how to figure out the density of the sun? Does that have any basis in reality or is it made up? I have no idea.

MITM_Fan

That explains alot, first of all, when Malcolm was at the Krelboyne class he was challenged to the top 10, at the beggining he didn't worried and so Mr. Herkabe decided to put his name on the non-existent 11th place and after, all worked hard and in the end Malcolm won the 0th-1st place back.

That's obeying and controlling it's great when a teacher get's those results, and not punks.

For anyone who wants to download "Stanley Milgram's Experiment" click here http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4418793/Stanley_Milgram_s_Experiment_-_1974

Richiepiep

Administrator
Well then here is a good question. Remember the episode where the guest star genius "Barton" tutors Malcolm about how to figure out the density of the sun? Does that have any basis in reality or is it made up? I have no idea.

Yes, I vaguely remember that. But I'll have to qualify. First, now that I'm working hard on my Malcolm in the Middlebrow, deeper thoughts appear to fail me. There's a price to be paid for turning your brains to pulp. Second, for 'scientific' please read 'scholarly'. There's a subtle difference :p

But I'll give it a go later on....

Rich

Malcolm: "I mean for me it's like when I'm thinking really hard my brain starts making connections and those connections make other connections and it feels like a bomb going off. Is your brain like that?"
Barton: "It's like a beehive and every bee has a brain like yours."

Lozart

Malcolm: "I mean for me it's like when I'm thinking really hard my brain starts making connections and those connections make other connections and it feels like a bomb going off. Is your brain like that?"
Barton: "It's like a beehive and every bee has a brain like yours."

Oh my god those quotes make up Malcolm in the Middle. :D

I wish there was something to record all those witty comments that made me laugh so hard.