Reese - stupid or not stupid, that is the question? - Page 4
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Reese - stupid or not stupid, that is the question?

Default Re: Reese - stupid or not stupid, that is the question?

He and Grandpa race into the kitchen, and start screaming. Malcolm asks what's wrong, and Reese says Grandpa gave him a live granade. Malcolm says something to the effect of, "Oh my god, you gave Reese a live grenade? He's a complete idiot!" And Reese responds with, "He's right, I am....I'm really stupid." At which time Reese throws the grenade to Malcolm, who throws it in the refrigerator.

Nah I dont think that means he thinks he is an idiot, people at crazy/stressful times say stupid things.

I just think he knows no better since he is influenced by the people around him like Hal and Francis.

All right. I finally have some time to reply to the points.

Note: If I end abruptly, it's because my STARS mentor walked in and I'm pretending to work.

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    As Hal said in "Hal Sleepwalks" Reese is a normal kid, of normal intelligence - and I am inclinde to believe that is true.
    1) I interpreted it as normal compared to Malcolm i.e. Reese is less below normal than Malcolm is above.
    2) That's normal to Hal. I don't know if that's saying much
    3) Parents always expect their children to less intelligent than them (b/c they don't have experience blah blah). By that standard, Reese may be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    What Reese was doing, was paying for that credit card bill using another credit card - and basically playing the credit card companies off against each other!
    But eventually, you'll be left with one giant bill. And even considering how slow they are, the companies wil eventually catch up. It happened in the show itself. Reese was supposed to talk to the supervisor. He would have been denied the credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by MITM-FAN
    Yeah, that's what it takes to prove that you're SMART but not being a professor or something doesn't mean you're spupid...maybe you just don't want to be a professor. [It sounds kinda strange but if you think about that one it should be clear.]
    I phrased it wrong. I was putting academics against humanities. Maybe academic ability would be more to the point (no, still not quite). I meant exactly what you explained later. (Oh my God! I almost typed "please pull over all the cards from the 2A" - policy, I miss it so much)

Quote Originally Posted by J.
    Reese seems to prosper when he is alone (Reese's apartment). His distrations are Malcolm, Dewey, Jamie, Hal, and Lois.
    His roommates seemed pretty distracting. Besides, as I said in my previous post, by this point, he'd be taking pretty low level courses where all you need to do is put a little bit of effort in.

Quote Originally Posted by allison
    think sensitivity HAS something to do with intelligence. It requires intelligence to figure out other people´s feelings. I don´t think a person who is as stupid as sawdust cares a lot about other people.
    To some extent, yes. It does take intelligence to figure out more complex feelings. But, not at the level that Reese uses it, and not just to be nice. Even cats and dogs can tell how a person is feeling and they respond accordingly (if they're nice cats and dogs ).

And another thing about Reese that makes me think he isn´t THAT stupid is that he THINKS (or knows) that he´s stupid. I don´t think that really stupid people consider themselve stupid.
    Well, yes. But that's REALLY stupid people. Even I don't think Reese is THAT stupid.

He also found out that Malcolm sees the school shrink
    So he followed him. It doesn't take much intelligence to do that.

There is definitely also such thing as "social intelligence"
    That's social skills or awareness. I consider that as separate from intelligence. I'm not saying that that doesn't take brain power, I just think that it's not very related to intelligence. And I think the Krelboynes do realize that they're weird. That's partly why so many of the have "dentist's appointments". They just don't know how to be normal.

Maybe this should be 2 posts instead of 1.

To be continued...
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

...continued

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown
    I'm thinking here of the episode "Smunday" when he adds paint to the trolley so it will add some "collateral damage to the neighbours"
    Ok, you win on that point. That WAS smart.

One reason for this may be because of who we have to compare him too.
    Actually, I think most of us would be comparing him to stupid people we know in our own lives.

If Reese was surrounded by a load of airheads, he might come across as the brightest of the lot.
    Like in the army eps?

However, in areas such as cooking, and planning mischief, he definitely seems to be quite bright.
    Yes, but as I said before, that's separate (I really can't spell that word!) from intelligence.

I also think that Reese, on a subconscious level, may not even want to be seen as smart.
    Not smart, ok. But why would he want to be seen as stupid? He's as much of an outcast as the Krelboynes are. Same for mariposa22's comment

Quote Originally Posted by MITM18
    Just wondering, how was he "stupid" in that scene again? By pulling the gernade lock activating the gernade?
    That's proof of it, yes.

I just think he knows no better since he is influenced by the people around him like Hal and Francis.
    But he also has Malcolm, Dewey and Lois to influence him. Besides, I don't think Hal or Francis would have done something that stupid...at least not UNintentionally.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

Nah I dont think that means he thinks he is an idiot, people at crazy/stressful times say stupid things.

I agree. And I think it that situation he was neither stupid nor intelligent, but if I had to decide I´d say he even was intelligent. He just wanted to get rid off the grenade and when Malcolm said "You gave Reese a life grenade and he´s a total idiot" Reese saw his chance so he said "Yes I am. I shouldn´t have it, anymore."
    I don´t even think that pulling the grenade lock was really stupid. How could he know that it still "worked"? That was more stupid of his grandpa.

But I can think of a situation when he really thought he is stupid. When Jackie and him were in the driver´s ed car he said "Just because I hate you, it doesn´t mean I´m not sorry. I didn´t mean to get you into this. It´s just that I´m not very smart."
    Or when he wanted to team up with Jamie because he thought he´s stupid, too (poor Reese, in the end he was outsmarted by the BABY) And he said "maybe they´ll do something horrible to us and we won´t even understand it."

I´d like to copy one of Emrygirl´s comments, but for some reason it doesn´t work (maybe I´m too stupid now)
    But I´m refering to the social intelligence now:
    You are right, they know they´re weird. But sometimes they really just behave silly without realizing it. If Reese does something like that we think he´s stupid (like when he does something and laughs in that goofy way).

And you said he´s an outcast because of his stupidity. I really don´t think so. I think he´s an outcast because people think he´s mean. But if he behaves like a "normal" person people like him (e.g Wendy, Alison and I think that even Stevie thinks he´s ok).

I don´t know if he wants to be either smart or stupid, but it could be true that his family underestimates his intelligence so much that he really is convinced that he´s stupid and doesn´t believe in himself at all. It´s really true, if people around you think about you in a special way you start thinking they are right, even if they´re not.
    Teachers tend to do things like that. If someone usually gets good grades but did pretty bad on one test he maybe still gets a better grade than a bad student would (I really know that from my past experience)
    And I remember an episode (I think it was Traffic Ticket) where Reese said something pretty smart and his family starred at him. Then he said "What? It´s not?" They always expect him just to do or say stupid things so he gets pretty insecure.

I really don´t want to say that Reese is smart, because I don´t even think he´s supposed to be. But I´m sure he would appear smarter if people gave him a chance. That´s why I hate prejudices and clichees. People have a special opinion of someone or something and it´s very hard to convince them they´re wrong.

Just like most people in this thread i'm going to say that he is'nt as dumb as people think and one word to describe him is underestimated, i think.
    Malcolm: Where did you get $30??
    Reese: What are you a cop?? (S2E22)

That's a good word to use. We saw in Buseys Take a Hostage that he can do stuff if he wants to; I just think he doesn't see teh point of schoolwork. Sometimes I don't see the point of it.