Reese - stupid or not stupid, that is the question?
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reese - stupid or not stupid, that is the question?

Default Reese - stupid or not stupid, that is the question?

Many of us will assume the Reese is stupid, afterall he does badly at school, poor grades, and doesn't even realise he's taking geography in "Tutoring Reese". Many though this is his home life and lifestyle. I have noticed in a few episodes over the past couple of seasons which suggest that Reese is bright, but simply doesn't put his mind to it.

In, Busey's Take a Hostage (I think) where Reese revises so hard he flunks all his exams getting every quetion wrong - that is pretty difficult I should have thought!

Although he is probably not as "naturally gifted" as Malcolm, I think these episodes show that he is actually not as dumb as everyone thinks - he is just too lazy!

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Reese - stupid or not stupid, that is the question?

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    Reese is bright, but simply doesn't put his mind to it-he is just too lazy!
    I really have agree with you there. He could take care of 1000 butterflies(butterflies), and you mentioned earlier that if he got every question wrong on purpose(Busey's take a hostage) he has to know all the answers in the first place.

He was smart enough to lead a squad of trainees to capture the enemy and save his captain and to get out of the prison in the Reese joins the Army episodes.

As my teacher says: "he just doesn't apply himself enough".
    The jerk formerly known as J.

Thats very true J. Reese may not be as "Acedimcally" clever as Malcolm but he has certainly creative and talented skills that Malcolm does not have.

Another thing would be has great talent of cooking. In Hal's Christmas Gift both Reese and Dewey were able to produce something personal gifts which they had very talentledly created themselves. While Malcolm has no arts and craft skill, so simply bought a present and prentended to make it.

I also agree with you. Reese showed more than once that he actually isn´t as stupid as people think. Especially when he thinks of a vicious plan he takes his time to plan it out. Just remember the "Evacuation" episode. As he said himself "when people are miserable and suffering, it brings out the best in me." I think Reese usually just turns on his brain if he thinks he´ll take advantage of it. I also think that Reese (as strange as it sounds) actually is a pretty sensitive person who cares about other people. I think sensitivity is also kind of an intelligence. I think there is a lot about Reese that people don´t see.

No, no. Reese doesn't really turn his brains on and off. Even when his brain is "off" in Reese Joins the Army, he's still thinking about how he can only listen to the commander. He acts like a tool, but thinks like he's performing a punishment for his mother. Only when he turns his brain back "on" does he realize it.

Reese definitely isn't stupid. He just doesn't care. He doesn't understand the purpose of life; he sees adulthood as a bunch of phoniness. Childhood holds innocence. The message of MITM seems to be that it's good that childhood eventually ends, but you have to make compromises when you cross into adulthood.

Like I said, childhood means innocence. If someone is disabled, kids look at them. Adults will correct the kids, but they won't fault them. The kids are innocent, because they didn't know better. As adults, they're simply expected to know better. They're no longer innocent.

I think I've illustrated my point. But I seem to have forgotten the question.

Ahh, yes. Now I remember where I'm going with this. As a child, when you have this innocence, you're free. You can be who you want to be. Period. As an adult, you may still have rights, but you're no longer truly free when you lose this innocence. You can't look at the disabled man anymore, even if you really, really want to. You have to pretend--you have to be PHONY.

Reese doesn't understand this. He isn't ready to cross into adulthood; he wants to maintain the simple innocence of doing what he wants to do. He's not dumb, he just doesn't necessarily understand life.

He also invented what was it, 100 games? "Fun games."

That was actually Francis in Buseys Take a Hostage, wasn't it? Or is that not what you're referring to?

In that cold opener from season 2 I think, all the kids from the neighborhood were in the street playing and Malcolm was addressing the camera and said something like "Reese can't even pass math but he's invented like 100 games - fun games!" Maybe it was only 50...

Nobody knows the name of the city where I live; it is in California but it isnt L.A.

This post made me remember something my Dad told me long time ago. "There is no clever people or stupid people. We all have the same potential. But we all have also the power of decide how much of that potential we want to use"

I think Reese is not stupid. In the last episodes I have changed my mind about that character, and I even think that he could be more succesful in life than Malcolm.
    "I am Malcolm"

Your dad sounds like a very smart man. Thanks for sharing.