Have they toned down the "clever" Malcolm

Jimmy Junior

If Malcolm is about to go to college I think the time for him falling in with the wrong crowd has passed - At a prestigious college I would imagine Malcolm to be the popular guy because he has life experience; he wasn't wrapped up in cotton wool like a lot of clever kids (like Stevie, but maybe not quite as severely in most cases).

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Jimmy Junior said:
he wasn't wrapped up in cotton wool like a lot of clever kids (like Stevie, but maybe not quite as severely in most cases).

And Dabney too, like in the episode where it's his birthday and he gets crappy presents from his Mum and Malcolm gives him the Paintball set which Dabney's Mum won't let them use

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Let's be realistic here. Malcolm was NEVER that clever.:D He always seems to get outsmarted by people like Jessica, Lois, and so on. He's supposed to be a friggen GENIUS, though!

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Good point, and a great example of that is in Pearl Harbour with the gay thing... if Malcolm is such a genius, why didn't he figure out Jessica was lying?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Some people can have a lot of "book sense," meaning that they have can learn things very quickly and retain a lot of information for long periods of time. It's like a having a photographic memory--learn it once and they don't forget it. However, these same people could be complete idiots when it comes to common sense and doing normal everyday things. I can attest to this personally because my sister is like that. She's really smart when it comes to educated knowledge, but she's dumb as a rock on everything else. :D

One example in particiluar that I can think of where Malcolm lacked in common sense is when he started the car with the garage door closed in Malcolm's car. Everybody knows that you're never supposed to do that. Granted he didn't expect the doors to stick like that, but still...

Amigo22

Super Moderator
tony_montana said:
Okay everyone, let's sing the "carbon dioxide poisioning" song!:D sorry, had to do that.:)

you sound like Barney :D

Wildcat said:
One example in particiluar that I can think of where Malcolm lacked in common sense is when he started the car with the garage door closed in Malcolm's car. Everybody knows that you're never supposed to do that. Granted he didn't expect the doors to stick like that, but still...

Malcolm shouldn't have even bought that car in the first place, knowing that it needed so much done to it. I can't remember what the price was, but it was obviously cheap for him to buy it. And that's the reason why there are so many crappy model cars on the road today - well here there are, anyway.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
It's carbon MONoxide, not carbon dioxide, carbon dioxide comes from your nose when you breathe out, carbon monoxide comes out of your car's mufflers... CO, not CO2................ :D

I think in the latet episode, we see more of a 'moral' Malcolm, but still, being moral and clever are two different things...

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I'm surprised I didn't notice that, normally I'm quick to pick up mistakes when I'm reading something.