Have they toned down the "clever" Malcolm - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have they toned down the "clever" Malcolm

Default Re: Have they toned down the "clever" Malcolm

Exactly. The show is called "Malcom in the Middle" right, not "Just Malcom"? So he has to be in the middle of something... like a family... therefore it makes perfect sense to not concentrate soley on Malcom.

Since Season 4 they stopped emphasizing on Malcolm's genius IQ (because he was out of the Krelboyne class and in High School) and from then onwards they have emphasized on his unhappiness. Like I said in my previous post, this will have been done so they could introduce Dewey as a genius in Season 5.

But they've never actually said Dewey's a genius (although I personally believe he is.) He's obviously very smart, probably even smarter than malcolm in some ways because he posseses "book sense" and he's a musical "genius" as well. It's kinda funny how Malcolm and Dewey turned out so bright and Reese turned out dumb as a rock.

I think Malcolm's cleverness has been toned down. In fact, in the last few episodes he's seemed to me, like he's just a little bit more clever than Reese.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    But they've never actually said Dewey's a genius (although I personally believe he is.) He's obviously very smart, probably even smarter than malcolm in some ways because he posseses "book sense" and he's a musical "genius" as well. It's kinda funny how Malcolm and Dewey turned out so bright and Reese turned out dumb as a rock.
    They've hinted that Jamie may become a genius one day, as well. Come to think of it, it would be fun to see an allusion to that as Malcolm is graduating HS, some doctor decides to test Jamie and assures Malcolm that his legacy will live on in the Krelboyne class.

That would be a nice way to end the show, finding out Jamie is a genius or something...
    The jerk formerly known as J.

IMO it wouldn't be goot to only find out something new this close to the end of the series. Although it would be odd if Jamie was a genius too, because Francis isn't and Reese certainly isn't. But then again, Hal could technically be a genius too since he was a rollerskate champion and had a perfect game at Bowling (except it was sabotaged by Malcolm and whats-her-face falling down and knocking over the pins). I think there are more things but I can't remember them at the moment.

Malcolm's progression makes sense to me because in a way I experienced 'the life or Malcolm' when I was younger:
    Malcolm was seen as the geeky kid who hung around with other geeky kids, but then realised that you can be clever without being a 'geek', and that he would become more socially acceptable by shedding his nerdy image.
    The reason he is portrayed as still having few friends could be attributed to the fact that he is still surrounded by people who know 'the old Malcolm', or (as we have discussed here in the past) the programme sometimes shows events as seen through the eyes of the characters (as in the steam rising from Lois in 'Smunday') ie although Malcolm may have become more popular he realises there is still much room for improvment.

In my opinion it would be logical for Malcolm to fall in with 'the wrong crowd' for a while, in an effort to further increase his popularity.

I may have missed something here because I haven't yet seen the last series.

I haven't either; which is really annoying because I've missed out on a lot - I've been able to read all the analyses and stuff on here but it's better to actually see the episodes too.

By the way, have you posted in the "MIM Older Viewers" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Junior
    The reason he is portrayed as still having few friends could be attributed to the fact that he is still surrounded by people who know 'the old Malcolm', or (as we have discussed here in the past) the programme sometimes shows events as seen through the eyes of the characters (as in the steam rising from Lois in 'Smunday') ie although Malcolm may have become more popular he realises there is still much room for improvment.

In my opinion it would be logical for Malcolm to fall in with 'the wrong crowd' for a while, in an effort to further increase his popularity.
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. That's why I wish there was going to be at least one more season. I think it would be very interesting to see what happens to Malcolm once he gets to college--how his life will be differnt once he escapes the cruel world of high school and has a chance to start over again.

He could possibly fall into the wrong crowd as an unconscious act of rebellion after growing up with such a strict parent, or in an effort to be more popular. However, on the other hand, he's going to Harvard so he'll be surrounded by people who are just like him--really smart, only a handful of friends because they were probably seen as geeks or nerds in high school (sorry for the stereotype)--so he may finally realize that he's not so strange after all. He'll find a place where he'll be accepted for who he is and won't be seen as a social outcast anymore. Maybe then he won't be so depressed and miserable with himself as he's been for the past few seasons.