Lois's Other Side

Lozart

So if you haven't seen Malcolm's Job already, you probably wouldn't know. Do you think Lois acts really funky at work. There are a lot of examples such as not standing up for Malcolm in that episode and smoking! She probably lied about quitting. Another thing I found is the episode where the guy has been living in the Lucky Aide's store. She was going to call the police and arrest him, but her time was up.... and he was free to go.

What are your opinions about Lois?

Wemboy

As I write I'm watching the Standee episode, where Lois tries to get Malcolm to take down an offensive advert they are supposed to display at the Lucky Aide. When you look at the plotlines involving Lois and the Lucky Aide you see a tension: on the one hand she has to keep her job, so she can't be as much of a control freak as usual, but her natural instincts kick in fom time to time.

So she doesn't defend Malcolm when he gets in trouble for flattening boxes in the wrong area, even though he's clearly in the right. But on the other hand she won't stand by and let the standee be displayed as she finds it offensive.

The struggle for Lois to accept the fact that she can't control everything she wants to, including, in the long run, the boys, is one of the recurring themes of the show. The best example being when she gets a ticket for a traffic violation and spends the whole episode fighting it, before eventually accepting the fact that she can't control the situation and will have to pay the fine.

MalcolmFun

That is a theme in many episodes. Note that she never seems to be able to admit she is not in control and makes up some excuse or distraction.

Seeing this other side to her at work was probably a turning point for Malcolm in eventually realizing he could supercede her and do his own thing in life. It is always Malcolm questioning her authority and infallibility. I'm not sure Hal, Francis, Reese or Dewey ever learned that lesson!