"Malcolm's Job" - Question

KelEl

Yeah, so I caught a re-run of Malcolm's Job today and a thought occured to me that I haven't thought of before. I find it hard to believe that Hal, or anyone else in the family, didn't realize that Lois smoked. Even though she said she only smoked two cigarettes at her job, I still think that they could smell it on her. I know this, I have been out people who had gone out and smoked, but then came back around me and I could tell that they had been. And the one - and only - time I have smoked, I couldn't get the smell off, I had to wash my hair and change clothes to get rid of the scent and even then I still thought it kind of lingered.

So, what I'm wondering is, how could they not know? Unless she freshened up before she went home...I don't know. Maybe I'm thinking too much, or maybe I just have an extra sensitive nose. Haha

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Yeah, it would be hard for them not to know. It's not exactly easy to cover up.

I've never smoked, but lots of people I know do (or did and have since given up) and I have no sense of smell, but I've heard people comment about the smell of it on others when they've had one.

KelEl

That's what I thought. And I also asked my mom (hypothetically of course), and she said, "Well, it depends how close they are. If they don't spend a lot of time around each other, then they could get by with it."
And then I realized that Lois and Hal are very close, so my mom's theory is out. :p

Richiepiep

Administrator
There are quite a number of little or greater inconsistencies between MITM episodes, when you've seen them a couple of times. I guess it's unavoidable. During the first run, they didn't know if there would be a second season, so they didn't bother with relatives, apart from an aunt dying. Later on, they had to introduce parents, a sister, more colleagues and neighbours etc., for variety and dynamics, and the fine detail didn't always fit.

I know that some viewers object to MITM for a reason related to this: it's extremely episodic. Although there are recurrent additional characters and themes, most plots (hobbies, crushes, jobs etc.) never get beyond a single episode. I know the Wilkersons are supposed to FAIL at everything they undertake, but sometimes I even find the developments of the later seasons a little far-fetched and inconsistent.

For instance, it turns out in 'Poker' that Lois dances like a clodhopper, yet in "Ida's Dance" she is this expert ethnic dancer. Reese can't coordinate his movements unless he's hitting someone, and then he turns out to be this amazing cook, which requires extremely subtle coordination and attention. Or the conceit that this "Bomb Shelter", with a trap door in the sandbox no less, was never found by boys as curious and destructive as the Wilkerson kids!

Rich

Last edited: