Smokers

MITM-Fan

admin said:
So what made you guys start smoking - peer pressure, looks, taste, smell, parents?
some years ago a friend of mine, or was it actually me :D had these small cigars which smelled and tasted great...so first I started with small cigars just for pleasure. They are expensive, so I started smoking cheaper ones and some day I didn't like them anymore...and I felt like vomiting after smoking them but I knew I could smoke cigarettes instead without any sort of problem and changed to that and here I am. :D

:cool:

ekimanisirf

I'm probably really far behind in this topic, but hey, I'm here now, I might as well post.

I do smoke... DuMaurier cigarettes to be exact. I will smoke just about any type though, except for menthols... theres just something about smoking mint thats very... hard to swallow. haha

Wemboy

Most people i know who started smoking did it at school to look cool and rebelious:D , but if they avoided that they took it up when they were old enough to drink in pubs, cos alot of people like a fag with a pint. All you Americans are laughing now i know but thats what we call cigarettes!, don't worry we got lots of other terms of homophobic abuse. Still, smokings never appealed to me, the bad points just outweigh the good for me, although i breath in loads of second hand smoke at work (in a betting shop, it's just for the summer). I do other stuff that's bad for me though, i just try and balance these with lookin after myself.
A few extra footnotes 1) in this thread, someone took offence at being compared to Bill Clinton, but the guys a legend! 2) quit all this talk about starbucks! support your local cafe folks!:D

arach

Wemboy said:
Most people i know who started smoking did it at school to look cool and rebelious:D
So did I.:D Guess it was group pressure. Now it's stuck to me.

I don't even want to quit. I know it's just my addiction that tells me that I don't want to quit, but that's the whole point. You can't stop smoking if you are not 100% sure you want to. That's for the not-smokers out there to understand better. As a smoker, you don't really want to quit. You just say things like "would be better", or "I don't like myself smoking" and stuff, but you don't want to give it up, because your brain (addicted to nicotine) tells you that you would miss something.

I started to collect information about smoking recently. Maybe this will help. I will definetely stop smoking. For sure.

Really. :D

Emrysgirl

Wemboy said:
A few extra footnotes 1) in this thread, someone took offence at being compared to Bill Clinton, but the guys a legend! 2) quit all this talk about starbucks! support your local cafe folks!:D
The Clintons are awesome!:D All of them. Even Chelsea.

There's no folkS. It's just me and my obsession (i.e. being on the verge of a Caffeine addiction that I very much want but can't afford). STARBUCKS STARBUCKS. Squash out all the local cafes with their sad taste, small variety and low prices.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I'm a caffeine junkie. Not coffee, but sugar/soda. I wake up, get some ice tea, and pour a couple packets of sugar in it and I'm got a booster kd of to my energy. Almost like how the space shuttle needs 2 rocket boosters and a fuel tank to get into space.

I don't smoke, but my uncle does. It's really annoying. It smells horrible. :Sick: I'm sorry, but it's the truth. No offence to anyone who does smoke.

MITM-Fan

J. said:
I don't smoke, but my uncle does. It's really annoying. It smells horrible. :Sick: I'm sorry, but it's the truth. No offence to anyone who does smoke.
well, you're right but as a smoker you won't realize after a while. You just have that bad taste in your mouth e. g. when you wake up in the morning, like you've been liking out an ash tray. :D

Jimmy Junior

I started smoking because I was having a very stressful time at school and all my mates smoked. I totally wish I hadn't started now - it's expensive, now considered antisocial and I find it more difficult to concentrate and remember things.

MITM18

I would never smoke, its very rude when people smoke near the doors of buildings and near children.

prettyburd

you shouldnt be smoking! thats bad. my uncle recently died (IM SERIOUS) from smoking, he had cancer and leukimia didnt cure him. its sad, you should quit!! just some advice you dont have to take it..

MITM18

Sorry to hear that.

I dont understand either why people think marajuana is any better for you.

Again sorry

Malcolm

My Mom used to be a smoker. I was always worrying about her. And then, one day, she said "This is my last cigarette". Since then, she never smoked again. It was so easy.
I dont understand why some people thinks its so difficult to quit smoking. :confused:

Ryebeach

I work in a physician's office, have for the past 10 years. I've seen more people than I care to remember come in who've smoked their whole lives and developed cancer, struggled through the treatments and many eventually pass on. It's sad beyond words. That being said, my personal opinion of smoking: Unless someone is living in a box, they are fully aware of the hazards of smoking and the long-term ill effects on the body and if they still choose to pick up that cigarette, cigar, or what have you, then that is there choice and who am I to tell them not to.

Emrysgirl

That would be fine if smoking only affected them. But, it's also dangerous to people around them. People can get cancer etc. just from living with a smoker and breathing the fumes.

That being said, I don't tell people not to smoke either. I figure, if they haven't learned yet, they're never going to. Plus I'm too cowardly.

Ryebeach

Emrysgirl said:
That would be fine if smoking only affected them. But, it's also dangerous to people around them. People can get cancer etc. just from living with a smoker and breathing the fumes.
A good point. Growing up, I lived with an individual who smoked. Again, this person knew full well what smoking was doing to their body and chose to continue nonetheless but it wasn't until the effects of 2nd hand smoke started to emerge that he decided it's not worth hurting the people he cares about to keep up the habit and quit. I realize this isn't always the case, but in this instance the person thought about others health before thinking about their habit and took the high road and quit smoking.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
In a city just to the south of mine (Appleton, WI, for anyone who needs to know) a controversial smoking ban was just passed in April. A referendum was voted down a couple times before, but this time it's finally passed, and it just took effect last Friday, July 1. The first night, there was a lot of complaining, and there's still a lawsuit against the city trying to fight it, but right now it looks like it's going to stand up. It's one of the strongest bans in the nation, basically affecting anywhere where people work.

Milwaukee (largest city north of Chicago) is considering a similar ban, as is the city I live in. Also, the state is considering a state-wide smoking ban, which would be nice, but it isn't as strong as the Appleton one, and wipes out local bans.

MITM-Fan

MITM18 said:
I would never smoke, its very rude when people smoke near the doors of buildings and near children.
Well I try to keep distance to people when I'm smoking especially children but most of the time where I'm smoking outside is at bus stations and yeah, as you know, there are a lot of children unfortunately. :D
Anyway, I think I'll quit soon but there are often times you don't know what to do with your time and start pulling out your cigarette case.

MITM18

yardgames said:
In a city just to the south of mine (Appleton, WI, for anyone who needs to know) a controversial smoking ban was just passed in April. A referendum was voted down a couple times before, but this time it's finally passed, and it just took effect last Friday, July 1. The first night, there was a lot of complaining, and there's still a lawsuit against the city trying to fight it, but right now it looks like it's going to stand up. It's one of the strongest bans in the nation, basically affecting anywhere where people work.

Milwaukee (largest city north of Chicago) is considering a similar ban, as is the city I live in. Also, the state is considering a state-wide smoking ban, which would be nice, but it isn't as strong as the Appleton one, and wipes out local bans.
Whats the actual ban state?

If you are under about 40 the only really reason for ever starting smoking is peer pressure- whther thts to look cool or fit in, there is no other reason. Loads of my friends starting smoking during their GCSE's because of 'stress'- which is absurd no one (but a reformed smoker) would start smoking because of 'stress' theres loads of different ways to deal with it.