Bryan Cranston 'Breaking Bad' Season 1 DVD Update

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Breaking-Bad-Season-1-DVD-Cover-MITMVC.jpg

We reported previously that the season 1 DVD of Breaking Bad was expected to be released January 20, 2009. However that has now changed to <del datetime="2008-12-21T01:14:21+00:00">February 24</del> March 3 <del datetime="2008-12-21T01:14:21+00:00">with a semi-official alert sent to retailers</del>. Above is the cover art which is subject to change.

So far we know its as a 2-disc set running 346 minutes, featuring episodes (and some unknown special features) presented in anamorphic widescreen video with English - Dolby Digital 5.1 audio and French subtitles. Pre-order from Amazon now!

Breaking Bad has got three nominations from the Writers Guild of America - one for best new series and and two for best episode. Results come out February 7, 2009.

UPDATE: Official press release is now out.

DVD Special Features Include:

• Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
  • Widescreen Presentations
  • Featurette: Making Breaking Bad
  • Featurettes: Inside Breaking Bad (14 Featurettes)
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Vince Gilligan's Photo Gallery
  • Commentary on Pilot and "Crazy Handful of Nothin" Episodes
  • Screen Tests
  • AMC Shootout: Interview with Vince Gilligan and Bryan Cranston
  • Episode Recaps
  • Audio: English (Stereo), Spanish, Portuguese
  • Subtitles: French, Spanish, Portuguese
  • Bonus Previews
  • Closed Captioned

Source: tvshowsondvd.com & AMCTV.com

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
I'd like to point out that when the 'Breaking Bad' DVD comes out, it's likely to be encoded for Region 1 - playable in the USA and Canada only. So unless you have some region decoder software on your PC, have applied a stand-alone player hack or use a region-free DVD player program (such as VLC), you won't be able to play it outside the US.

Perhaps it will be followed by a Region 2-release, but as we know about MITM, this can tax our patience!

Just correct me if I'm wrong.

Rich

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I have a region-free DVD player, so it shouldn't be a problem. The first season of Malcolm and all seasons of Arrested Development (alll of them RC1) are playing fine on it.
(I assume Richiepiep's post was directed to me)

Richiepiep

Administrator
Hi Dabney,

Well, I didn't direct my post specifically at you, but thanks anyway. :) I just wanted to warn against the possible disappointment I have come across with many MITM fans, who are still waiting for a MITM R2-release.

I just happen to be aware of all the problems my friends and MITM-fans have with playing DVD's. Most of us have region-restricted stand-alone players, because they either don't know the concept of regions, or couldn't get a region-free player at the normal stores. The same with computer DVD drives, which normally are fixed to a region after a couple of DVD spins.

Because the possibility of bypassing the region codes and the difficulty of doing this varies wildly from player to player (from typing a few digits on a hidden menu to daunting hardware hacks; it's almost impossible to hack my stand-alone DVD recorder), most people I know are at a loss, and have a number of DVD's, mainly American TV series or American concert DVD's, they cannot play. There are so many people on movie and TV boards who carelessly say, oh, you can get the DVD at Amazon etc. without realising the enquirer may encounter region problems.

I'm fine at my computer, because I use a region-free software program. But other people are wary of those, let alone stuff with dismantling players and inserting plugs and all that.

Rich

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I'd like to point out that when the 'Breaking Bad' DVD comes out, it's likely to be encoded for Region 1 - playable in the USA and Canada only. So unless you have some region decoder software on your PC, have applied a stand-alone player hack or use a region-free DVD player program (such as VLC), you won't be able to play it outside the US.
Rich

By the way, season 1 has already been released in Germany as well, RC 2 and
the original audio track is included. :)

Richiepiep

Administrator
That's awesome news, thanks, Dabney!

I just looked it up, and it's not available in Holland, but I just read on the German Amazon site that it was shown on German Pay-TV, which would explain the release.

Some more details: either English or German dubbing, with English, German, Hindi and Turkish subtitles. Weird combination, but sounds great to me!

As I don't see it available as Region 2 in the UK, this should be great news for British and other European customers too.

I hope they realize that, like me, if you are a customer of US-based Amazon, your personal details are automatically valid for the European branches, and you don't have to re-register your credit card numbers, passwords etc.

£ 21.69 (British pounds) is a bit cheaper than € 29.95, but it's not that dramatic.

Rich

Wemboy

Slightly off topic I know but anyone in the UK might like to know that FX (Sky channel 164) is showing Breaking Bad on Monday nights/Tuesday mornings at 1.10am. They were showing it at a more reasonable time, but they have moved it back for some reason. Not too bothered myself as I have just sky plussed the whole series.

It's great to finally get a chance to see the show, and I'm very much enjoying it. Unfortunately I missed the pilot, as I only realised it was on just before they screened episode two. I think I'm pretty much caught up after reading some episode guides etc, and I obviously know the overall story. I think it's fair to say that Bryan Cranston is by far the best thing in the whole show, although that's not to criticise the rest of it too much, just to say once again how awesome he clearly is! Awards were well deserved, seems like a great show.

Lparsons7981

Slightly off topic I know but anyone in the UK might like to know that FX (Sky channel 164) is showing Breaking Bad on Monday nights/Tuesday mornings at 1.10am. They were showing it at a more reasonable time, but they have moved it back for some reason. Not too bothered myself as I have just sky plussed the whole series.

It's great to finally get a chance to see the show, and I'm very much enjoying it. Unfortunately I missed the pilot, as I only realised it was on just before they screened episode two. I think I'm pretty much caught up after reading some episode guides etc, and I obviously know the overall story. I think it's fair to say that Bryan Cranston is by far the best thing in the whole show, although that's not to criticise the rest of it too much, just to say once again how awesome he clearly is! Awards were well deserved, seems like a great show.

Whatever you do, you have to in some way catch the Pilot, Itunes, or Amazon.com or whatever, just see that episode. It really is excellent and sets the stage for the rest of the season and the series by showing what Walt was like before his diagnosis.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I think it's fair to say that Bryan Cranston is by far the best thing in the whole show, although that's not to criticise the rest of it too much, just to say once again how awesome he clearly is!

I absolutely agree :).