Frankie's Acne, No more Malcolm talking to the camera?

admin

Retired Administrator
I posted this article a few weeks ago about Frankie suffering quite badly from acne, probably the main reason why we've lost his talking to the camera scenes in MITM

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=345

What are people's general thoughts in this. I actually have to agree with this article, I think that it probably is to do with Frankie's acne problems, but I really wish they wouldn't let it affect the way the show runs. Nearly every child will get acne at one point in his life, where it be a few spots, or an entire face full - sadly Frankie has got the latter of those two.

I feel that this "move" by FOX to show no more close ups is typical of US TV programmes, to make everyone "beautiful". Now you can't hide the fact that that is what US casters do. Look at CSI, no ugly people there, Friends, no ugly, The OC, no ugly, Smallville, no ugly - I could go on :D

I thought MITM was the exception in this rule, not choosing particullary "beautiful" people to its cast - maybe I was wrong....

ReMoss85

Just because their cast members aren't beautiful, it doesn't give them the right to embarrass them when they can fairly easily try to hide it.

admin

Retired Administrator
ReMoss85 said:
Just because their cast members aren't beautiful, it doesn't give them the right to embarrass them when they can fairly easily try to hide it.
I am not asking for them to embarass Frankie, they still put alot of makeup on him as it is, which makes his acne seem less bad. They could have him talking to the camera still, even if it is from a furthur distance then normal.

ReMoss85

Well apparently it is that bad, according to the article, which is all just speculation anyway so we don't actually know.

MITM-Fan

ReMoss85 said:
you're right. There are so much possibilities with make up and stuff to hide such problems. And there are so many people who seem to look just perfect on the screen, e. g. Cameron Diaz but without any make up she looks just terrible. :D

:cool:

allison

I don´t know, I actually don´t think it´s because of his acne problem (btw I think we saw pretty often close ups of his face this season). I also thought that Mitm is one of the shows where not everyone looks so great ( I mean they sure aren´t ugly, but quite average. The only ones of the main characters who look really good in my opinion are Francis and Reese). :D I don´t think you´re wrong about that. It fits the concept, if they all looked like supermodels it probably wouldn´t be that believable. My theory about the reason why Malcolm doesn´t direct the camera anymore is that he became quite a random character. If people start watching the show now they will probably wonder why it´s called MALCOLM in the middle.
If they really did it because of his acne I would find that pretty stupid (unless Frankie himself doesn´t want it)

admin

Retired Administrator
allison said:
I don´t know, I actually don´t think it´s because of his acne problem (btw I think we saw pretty often close ups of his face this season). I also thought that Mitm is one of the shows where not everyone looks so great ( I mean they sure aren´t ugly, but quite average. The only ones of the main characters who look really good in my opinion are Francis and Reese). :D I don´t think you´re wrong about that. It fits the concept, if they all looked like supermodels it probably wouldn´t be that believable. My theory about the reason why Malcolm doesn´t direct the camera anymore is that he became quite a random character. If people start watching the show now they will probably wonder why it´s called MALCOLM in the middle.
If they really did it because of his acne I would find that pretty stupid (unless Frankie himself doesn´t want it)
Yeah, you have some good point.

I was really pleased when I first watched MITM, because they had clearly choosen the actors because of their talent rather than their looks.

You right perhaps Frankie is worried about his looks, I didn't think about that. I just thoughout that there are probably thousands of teenagers across the globe with acne problems, and if they can see that a celebrity is suffering from it as well, they might feel a bit happier about their appearance as well.

ReMoss85

admin said:
You right perhaps Frankie is worried about his looks, I didn't think about that. I just thoughout that there are probably thousands of teenagers across the globe with acne problems, and if they can see that a celebrity is suffering from it as well, they might feel a bit happier about their appearance as well.
That's what these boards are for - to expose celebrities' awful secrets that they are in fact, human.

Emrysgirl

Yay Allison! You always post what I want to say.

Comments:
Allison's post +

CSI, beautiful? Well, many of them...but there's at least 1 average/ugly person in each CSI...the main character. :D

Judging from all we've heard of Frankie Muniz, it's very possible he made the decision.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I don't think his acne is the problem. Mostly because of Ida looses a leg. That was the first episode where I could really notice the acne, because they did close up shots with a fish eye lense. Now, why would they no longer have him talk to the camera to avoid close ups, but then go ahead and show a close up later for a different reason? I think they way they structure and write the show has changed. Things don't center around Malcolm anymore. They just aren't bothering to have him talk to the camera anymore.

I hope Frankie never runs across this thread, poor guy.

MITM18

Its not acne, I can promise you that.

I am allowed to see the shows in high resolution quality better then the supposed "high definition" that Fox tells people it is (which its not).

And I can tell you this there is no sign of acne anywhere.

admin

Retired Administrator
MITM18 said:
Its not acne, I can promise you that.

I am allowed to see the shows in high resolution quality better then the supposed "high definition" that Fox tells people it is (which its not).

And I can tell you this there is no sign of acne anywhere.
I think it has mainly cleared up now, but in previous seasons, especially Season 5 I think - It was clear that he was having acne troubles.

ekimanisirf

Not to be harsh in anyway, but acne happens to most everybody. It's a part of growing up. I think that the team that films MITM could have come up with something a little more creative to cover it up rather than just cut out the camera talk scenes. Personally, I think those scenes are a huge insight to how Malcom sees the world around him... but thats just me, I've been known to say stupid things.

J

JonAnd85

But have the "camera talk scenes" been reduce so much? In Season 6 i think that only happend in one or two episodes. Or have i miss sometime when he didn't talk to the camera? Did that ever happend in Season 1,2,3,4,5? Or is it just in Season 6 this happends?

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I'm pretty sure Malcolm talked to the camera at least once in every episode before season 6. Most episodes he would talk at least twice. If anyone finds an exception, let me know.

And it's not just that he doesn't talk to the camera as much anymore, it seems more forced now; like the writer just throw it in there for continuity. They used to use it as an effective tool, but now it just seems to be a burden.

admin

Retired Administrator
ekimanisirf said:
Not to be harsh in anyway, but acne happens to most everybody. It's a part of growing up. I think that the team that films MITM could have come up with something a little more creative to cover it up rather than just cut out the camera talk scenes. Personally, I think those scenes are a huge insight to how Malcom sees the world around him... but thats just me, I've been known to say stupid things.
Exactly, acne does happen to most people - it yes you are right the camera talk scenes are a huge insight to how Malcolm sees the world - without them the things he says and do do seem odd. Its about time a celebrity stood up and admitted acne troubles, then at least every teenager across the planet would not be afraid to go out because of theirs.