What religion is the family? - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What religion is the family?

Quote Originally Posted by tjpeople View Post
    Welcome Buljko, we hope you enjoy your stay.

If you need any help you can email me.
    Thank you

Before now i was only reading this forum. I like it. Hope I'll find time to post here more often.
    Last edited by Buljko; Apr 21, 2009 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buljko View Post
    Thank you

Before now i was only reading this forum. I like it. Hope I'll find time to post here more often.
    Thats great I look forward to seeing your posts. If you feel like introducing yourself feel free to do so in the Tiki Lounge.
    Need help? Email Me Here

i think in one episode, it was shown that Hal and Lois were married in a church by a pastor.

they're nonpracticing christians i guess.

lois is definitely atheist.

hal might believe in a god but probably just as a consequence of his desire for an afterlife.

malcolm says he is a hopeful agnostic but he seems pretty clearly atheist as well, agnosticism is a pretty vague thing anyway so...

reese is apparently atheist according to CHRISTMAS TREES.

dewey it never says, the impression is complete unawareness of a god which would make him atheist by default.

jamie...

the general tone of the show is semi-anti-religion (like in SHAME, mocking (three) religions and putting a hiphop beat behind them and intercutting between them showing the repetition and substitution and making them look silly and arbitrary).

the CHRISTMAS TREES episode definitely has reese saying they are godless heathens, and hal says nothing to contradict him.

also in FUNERAL hal and lois describe what happens after you die to dewey and all they say is that you are a corpse and that's the end.

Dewey has a moment where he seems to make up his own mind on the issue -- coming to a unique conclusion to that of many other members of his family. It's almost as if he does believe in a higher being, albeit one that doesn't act with compassion or positively intervene in our lives!

This is in episode 4x22 -- Daycare (the whole episode being quite relevant to the family's relationship with organised religion). Around 14 minutes in, he talks to the leader of one of the church classes that Reese was attending.

"Those ants could have been praying to me all day. I wouldn't have heard 'em! ... Really it's the same with us, there's nothing we can do about anything either, so why worry about it?... I guess all we can do is live our lives with as much kindness and decency as possible, and try not to dwell on God standing over us with that giant shovel [referring to 'smiting' his ants with the shovel]"
    While interesting, we must allow that Dewey's ideas might have changed and developed as the character got older later on in the series too.

@PeterU
    the impression i got from that part of the episode (especially when put in the context of dewey (and his beliefs) from the rest of the series) was that he was just trying to screw with that woman's head/beliefs.

reminiscent of his parts in LONG DRIVE where he keeps ruining everyone's day and self-esteem for his own entertainment.

In 'Christmas Trees', Reese says that they are 'godless heathens'. It's clear that the family haven't been to church before 'Day Care'. In 'Shame', Malcolm consults a number of religious leaders, and in 'Tiki Lounge', Lois says that she doesn't believe in an afterlife, before changing her mind, while Hal believes in one, but doesn't specify which one. The most likely possibility would be that they are agnostic.

i remember in a episode that they joined a church for only 2 weeks
    nathan

Hmm although in the Season 1 episode where Malcolm was feeling so bad after beating up a little kid, remember how Lois was cleaning his leg and trying to make him feel better and said something like -- "What you're feeling that hurts is your conscience, and you should be glad that God gave you one." Implies that she believes in some sort of religion.

More often than not, when someone refers to God, they don't mean it. For example, 'Oh My God!' does not necessarily mean that somebody is attempting to communicated with some deity.