Why was MITM cancelled? - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why was MITM cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by cadmiumgold View Post
    But when they say cancelled does that mean it was in the actors contracts etc to do more and they made a last minute decision to cut it because they thought it had stopped being good?

To be honest I don't notice a decline towards the sixth and seventh seasons, I think it was consistently good throughout.

The seventh season is really good but that could be because they knew it would end, they might have wanted it to go out on a high but I can't see that they wouldn't stay good, it didnt run for that long a time really. I think they coul have done interesting stuff with college and stuff but I can see where it might not be of the best quality.

The finale felt like they were keeping it open to carry on though, definately.

It's not too late... has a show ever taken a couple of years break and then come back? and did they have hopes of it getting picked up by another network or something?
    I'm pretty sure only animated shows or shows with casts that are committed/don't age quickly can manage to pull that off.

you wanna follow the laws of man?
    bloody apron, leg of lamb.
    it's so hard to win...
    when there's so much to lose.

True. The Simpsons for example has gone on for eternity and will probably continue for ages because the characters never age.

But when they say cancelled does that mean it was in the actors contracts etc to do more and they made a last minute decision to cut it because they thought it had stopped being good?

To be honest I don't notice a decline towards the sixth and seventh seasons, I think it was consistently good throughout.

The seventh season is really good but that could be because they knew it would end, they might have wanted it to go out on a high but I can't see that they wouldn't stay good, it didnt run for that long a time really. I think they coul have done interesting stuff with college and stuff but I can see where it might not be of the best quality.

The finale felt like they were keeping it open to carry on though, definately.

It's not too late... has a show ever taken a couple of years break and then come back? and did they have hopes of it getting picked up by another network or something?
    All of the main cast members' contracts were up after the seventh season. If FOX wished to continue on with the series, all of the contracts would have to have been renegotiated which would have been cost prohibitive given what the ratings were the last few seasons of the show.

I completely agree with you in that I also thought season six and seven were very well done. I still found myself laughing consistently with each new eppy and the majority of my favorite episodes of the entire series were from the final two seasons. I found the writing and acting just as good the final two seasons as the seasons beforehand.

True. The Simpsons for example has gone on for eternity and will probably continue for ages because the characters never age.
    Yeah, if MITM was to continue, they'd only have 1 season left before Dewey would be in High School. And Francis would still have very few appearances.

Though it would have been interesting to have seen how the family does without Malcolm there.

thanks ryebeach, I thought it was something along those lines. I agree Amigo22, it could have made for some interesting storylines and there could have been some good college and dewwy at high school stuff too, but maybe its nice to leave us with some storylines uncovered as it leaves it up to us and would give us some surprises if they had a reunion ep. omg im obsessed lol it wont happen but I can but hope

I think you've all hit the nails on the head by the time I've made it here. The contracts were huge because the show was also doing poorly in ratings after S6 due to its timeslot. (That was the year it was at 7:30 before the football game finished so a few eps were never even shown nationally) but nonetheless it still got renewed for S7. And it's good it did or we wouldn't have had classics like Blackout, Morp, and Graduation.

Yeah, the series wouldn't have been complete without Season 7.

Of course one could argue it's not complete without the unknown S8. If we hadn't seen S7 we wouldn't know what we were missing and thus wouldn't realize how incomplete it were so technically.....technically it would still be complete.